It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
Question Dating Someone w/ Bi-Polar... Please Help!

I'm really hoping someone can help me out, I am so confused! I am a 21/F and have been dating my boyfriend for about a month now. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, as well as some kind of personality disorder, at a young age. I am completely unfamiliar with these conditions.

He's currently taking Trazadone (sp?) and Depakote. He also mentioned being on Lithium in the past. What exactly do these drugs do? What would happen if he stopped taking them?

I've spent enough time with him to be able to tell if he's taken his meds or not. It's like he's a different person off of them. His moods seem to go up & down & he is VERY easily distracted. In the past, he had a very violent temper that got him into serious trouble with the law, which kinda scares me...

I care about this guy a lot, he's been really good to me, but at the same time I'm concerned. How do you make a relationship work with a person that has bipolar disorder?

I would greatly appreciate any information you have!!!

Old 03-04-2005, 10:59 PM   #2

holly1981 HB User
Re: Dating Someone w/ Bi-Polar... Please Help!

I am bipolar and man i am hard to live with on or off my meds. LOL!! Right now i am in a depressive phase and nothing seems to help it. Then again when i get in an a manic phase i can take respirdal and that calms me down but ususally puts me into a depression.

My best advice is have a thick skin. Your gonna need it. Don't take everything said literal. Give him or her alot of lateral room. We don't mean what we say. Our brains are deceiving us. love holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 06:49 AM   #3
(female)

Jovial206 HB User
Re: Dating Someone w/ Bi-Polar... Please Help!

malibubarbie999,

You may want to read my post entitled, "A Manic Episode?" on page 7. Cujojohn has some posts on this topic, as well as a few others. Many of us have experienced/are experiencing VERY SIMILAR situations.

Be blessed!

Old 03-05-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
Arrow Re: Dating Someone w/ Bi-Polar... Please Help!

Thank you both so much for your replys! I am trying to learn everything I can about this disorder, hoping to get more of an understanding of where my bf's coming from.

Holly -- I have noticed the "saying things ya don't mean" thing already! He doesn't necessarily get rude or nasty with me, but once in awhile something will come out of his mouth & I'll just be at a loss for words. It's like, where do you get these ideas?!? I've taken offense to a couple things he's said, and it's like he just doesn't think he said anything wrong. It drives me nuts sometimes!!! Then when he takes his Depakote/Trazadone at night he's a freakin' zombie -- quiet, unresponsive. I guess that's just something I'll have to deal with though if I want to be with him...

Closed Thread