It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 06:10 AM   #1
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
Obsessiveness-part of bipolar or something else

Just wondered about this. Since I was a teenager, I have obsessed about different people, like I thought I was in love with people I didn't even know! Writing them love notes etc.. Anyone else like this, or is it its own disease -lol?? As of last year after I had my child I have obsessed over my ob/gyn. Like he lives in our neighborhood and I see him drive by and I'm like where is he going, or I see his car at the hospital and I'm like whos having a baby-whats going on. I even sent him a thank you note after he delivered my child. Whats the deal? I have gone periods of time where I don't think like this at all, last time was probably 5 yrs ago. I just can't seem to get people out of my head and it takes me a long time. Any feedback would be appreciated because it just drives me crazy. Kind of like an old flame I feel like getting in touch with again. I AM married! And whacked! Thanks for listening guys! Hard to discuss with in person people.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Obsessiveness-part of bipolar or something else

the wife does have some ocd signs. She will count things, like signs, toe thumping, fingers moving, and other odd items.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

I ALWAYS used to count steps when I was walking, but now I find it hard to keep track what number I am on! lol! Thanks Mud

P.S. I do notice that I am always rearranging letters on signs , names etc. like to see what other words they make, Like a "stop" sign, post, pots, etc.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Angry Re: Obsessiveness-part of bipolar or something else

I also count things in 10's??? My Dr. says is has to do with anti-psychotic meds in my personal case. I have often thought that I should get in touch with old flames, new flames etc. It is odd. I wish I was well, but I am not.....BLESSINGS......Kahlia

Old 03-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Thanks for your input Kahlia. I think I am just trying to make a reason for all my quirky behavior. Just wondered if these were things that "normal" people do. At least we are trying to be as well, as we can be, right?? Take care. Lori

Old 03-06-2005, 05:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Lori,

Hi!

I don't think this is THAT abnormal! I used to pick a guy out that I was going to go out with (total stranger) and end up going out with him...Of course I was in my 20's, 110 lbs and a hugh flert! The fact that my libido was out of control may have helped too.

I'm sure it can be atributed to our bp in some way but, as long as it's fantacy what the heck! Fantacy can be healthy too. The thank you note was actually a nice jesture. Of course, all of this is my opinion.

I actually, a year ago, contacted an old flame because I owed him an amends...It was actually kind of nice to talk to him...realized just how boring and self centered he really had been. I also realized I didn't owe him the amends. Funny how we don't remember those things.

Love,

Jamie

Old 03-07-2005, 01:20 AM   #7
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Thanks Jamie! I just get so disgusted dwelling on things that have nothing to do with me, like I can't get them out of my head until I do or say something. I sometimes just get sick to my stomach about them. Hopefully my meds will help.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

I'm not sure that I can give a really objective reply, as I also have ocd as a diagnosis. Lol.

But even people that don't have ocd can do obsessive things. The difference is the level of interference in daily living, mostly.

I had to laugh when I read about the doctor thing. I have to confess that I know where every single one of my doctors live. I think I get way too attached. No, I'm not a stalker. Lol. I also have this way overdone interest in a popular artist. As if I had some teenage crush on a pop star. Silly, I guess, but it's the way it is.

--Loopy

Old 03-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Thanks Loopy! I almost break my neck everytime I go by the hospital to see if he's there. I feel like a stalker. I would just love to talk to him again. I am so weird. Guess I should learn to accept it , huh? He just drives me crazy and he's so damn cute too. Why do I do this to myself?? UGH!

Old 03-07-2005, 10:42 AM   #10
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Quote:
Why do I do this to myself??
I'm thinking I don't usually have to have a reason to do anything anymore . . .LOL

Quote:
I almost break my neck everytime I go by the hospital to see if he's there.
I drive past my shrink's office every day. Thank goodness the speed limit is really slow there . . .

--Loopy

Old 03-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

LOOPY YOU ARE THE BEST!! I am so thrilled I am not alone!!!! If I've got nothing else, let me know I have you!! Huge hugs!! Lori

Old 03-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #12
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Back atcha!

Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
(female)

Papillon HB User

Hi Lori,

I can't begin to guess whether obsessing about people is normal or BP (and my shrink wasn't much help either - he attributed it to low self esteem), but I can tell you that I totally relate.

If I had ten bucks for every infatuation I've had since my early teens, I could retire young! Like you, I'm married, so these obsessions are extra guilt-ridden. Luckily it hasn't happened to me for a while now, except in a non-sexual way, where I'm constantly meeting people that I think are cool and somehow wanting to impress them.

Anyhow, what I've come to realize is that these feelings do go away, so I think the best advice I can offer you is to realize it'll pass and try not to let it worry you too much. And like an early poster pointed out, there's no harm in fantasizing.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
(female)

dragon25 HB User

I obsess over certain movie stars, one in particular(I won't name any names.) All my friends and boyfriend think I am absolutley nuts, but I can't help it!

Old 03-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #15
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Thanks for the comments. I have never seemed so "normal" LOL!! Lori

Closed Thread