It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User
seroquel resistance

I haven't posted in a while cause I've felt really good recently. However, I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Here goes: Iíve been on klonopin(.5 mg) and seroquel(400mg) for about a month now. There results have been wonderful, my depression is either gone or greatly lessened. I havenít irritable or speeding around at 100 miles a minute so I would guess I have not been manic. Enjoyment of former hobbies has returned. I donít have a ton of energy (probably because I do not much else than sit on the couch in my spare time). On this new med combo I have become accustomed to about 10 to 12 hours of sleep daily. (Before this I hardly slept and was quite manic and irritable to prove it). Lately however I have noticed that I wake up more during the night but I easily fall back asleep. Well the last couple of nights I have had a hard time falling asleep and last night I believe I got about 6 hours of sleep. This morning I woke up tired and achy. I got to work late, I was in a daze for whole drive to work (30 miles) at work I have been distractible, tired, and quite achy. I donít seem to be able to do anything consistently but stare at the wall. Is it possible that Iím building up a resistance to seroquel and it will cease to sedate me thus bringing back my hypomania and cycling?

-reesie

Old 03-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User
Re: seroquel resistance

I've been on seroquel for about 8 months, and the exact same thing happened to me. I just switched to trilipel. I'm slowly going off the seroquel. I think that's not uncommon from what I've heard. I take wellbutrin, too. I still don't have the enery back that I used to - I used to teach aerobics!! And since seroquel I have gained 30 lbs. Also common..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User

NOOOOOOO! I've only been on seroquel one month! Good God will I ever stabilize for any appreciable amount of time!?!

Old 03-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

Sure you will. You just need to find the right meds. There are tons out there. It's a lot of work and diligence. I don't think one month is enough time to expect the meds to work. Seroquel took longer than that for me. But like I said. I got fat!! Well, not really, I was pretty skinny before. But maybe you should give it more time. Have you talked to your doc?

Old 03-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

My next appointment is in April, and I haven't brought the issue up yet as I've only had one bad night. but if I follow my typical MO I'm going to steadily lose more sleep and more frequently. (I've been through about 5 sleeping pills and each one was only effective for about a month) But I'm going to keep good thoughts and continue going to bed and 8:30.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

Doesn't the seroquel help you sleep? It knocks me right out. It sounds like depression might be creeping up on you. April is a long way off.....Hang in there. You are going to be ok. Maybe you can call your doc's office and tell them how you're feeling if it gets too bad. When I got really depressed (last week) I had to ease off the seroquel. It's supposed to keep you from going into a manic episode, but it might be too much for you. I only take 50 mgs. Let me know how you're doing, ok?

Old 03-08-2005, 02:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

seroquel definitely makes you sleep, until next tuesday that is. last night was the first night I had any real issues, I usually sleep like a brick. Even thought I slept 10 to 12 hours I still felt energetic and happy

Old 03-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

400 mgs. is a lot of meds. I dont think you can build up a resistance that fast....What kind of sleeping pills are you taking? 12 hours a night is a lot of sleep. I don't know what to tell you...

Old 03-08-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
(female)

alexgranny HB User

I have been taking seroquel for well over a year (400 mgs at bedtime). It does have a sedating effect but as with any medication you need to be patient and take some time to see whether the dosage is therapeutic. I agree that one month is a very short time in which to make an evaluation of any new med. i would recommend that you call your doctor now and let him know what's going on. Perhaps he might want to change the dosage. It is important to remember that the relationship with your doctor is a joint effort with each of you contributing to the mix.
Best of luck to you.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

Hey, just wondered how you're doing...

Old 03-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Doing okay I guess, woke up several times last night. This morning I woke up tired and slightly cranky. But I did make it to work on time this time. But all I really want to do lie on my couch and sleep or watch movies. I'm fairing too well with this thinking and being productive at work stuff.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

Ok, glad to hear you're hanging in. You cracked me up on your post response to goofy's "looking loony" thread. As long as we can keep our sense of humor, I think it help's get through these times. Are you feeling kinda weighted down by the seroquel? Since I'm easing off, I find myself being tempted to be more confrontational, like I used to be. So far, I'm keeping it cool, but definately not as mellow. Take care !!

Old 03-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

I notice after a few weeks of taking seroquel, it stopped working as well for me. I was only taking 25 to 50 mg/day, and the side effects weren't worth it (it slowed me down too much!).

I know its been a month, but I'd try it a little longer. Being on as many medicines for as long as I have, I know how complicated and frustrating it can be. Give it another week or two. Sometimes lows while on meds might just be lows our body would be having anyways (and without the meds, they'd probably be worse) - at least thats my opinion. There are also environmetal factors, like caffeine, etc. I'm on 80 mg Paxil along with Xanax (when needed) and Lamictal. I've been on the Paxil the longest... and there are times when I don't feel like its working. I've stuck it out, and I usually start feeling better.

Good luck!

Old 03-14-2005, 07:01 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

Hey Reesie. I was wondering how you were doing. Thanks for responding to my new thread "It could be worse". Did you read my post on, "happy mania as opposed to agitated mania? " I'm getting a little manic since I stopped the seroquel. The renewed energy is good, and it feels like a fog has lifted a little. Maybe I was just on it for too long or something, I don't know. Now we will see if the Triliptel kicks in and keeps me from going totally bonkers.... Glad to know you are doing well on the seroquel.
-H

Old 03-14-2005, 07:17 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

I'm good, the biggest thing I think is the fact that it makes me sleep. nothing destabilizes me faster than lack of sleep. Except now I have to deal with ridiculously giddy feelings with absolutely no motivation to do anything except lie on the couch and eat cookies and cake. i'm so huge right now. I have a new job so I'm not completely engaged just yet so I alternate between reading stuff, posting here, and staring at my cube wall. But I did muster enough energy to pick of the clutter in the downstairs of my house and stuff in the trash and a closet. Upstairs is still a wreck though.

Last edited by reesie; 03-14-2005 at 07:17 AM.

Closed Thread