It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

TonyaM HB User
Exclamation Don't know what I think...How to make choices...Whats going on????

Hi all,
I can never tell what I am thinking...its like I am disconnected from my head...let me explain...when I go to shop for anything, say clothes, I don't know what I want..."hey, I think I like the blue one, no I like this one, no the red one, no blue, no red, oh i don't like either, let me go look for something else, no i'll get them both, i like both, ok put this back" then I get up to the line to check out "wait, i want the other one instead"....I mean this would go on for hours if someone wouldn't stop me...it happens all the time, watching t.v, where to go, should I get up from bed now or sleep longer, do I want to this or that, i mean I can't make any decisions whatsoever....I once read something by a woman who said that if a person has two ways to go home, either left or right, and in the middle there is a brick wall, and the person doesn't know which way to go, then it doesn't matter because the brain will eventually make the choice for the person the closer and closer he or she got and no one would ever go into the brick wall, but I am telling you that I WOULD...it has happened, not a brick wall, but a similar situation. Is this typical of BP people? please help

Tonya

Old 03-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Don't know what I think...How to make choices...Whats going on????

the wife is that way too. Others I've met relate the same story.
Heck, the wife just gets a blue, pink, green and what ever colors she wants. LOL some times she buys them all.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
(female)

Tygrysek HB User

im quite indecisive myself. in important decisions its tough to know which is the "right" one.. even in little decisions like clothes shopping that you mentioned, its not always easy and i have those problems myself too sometimes. you gotta try to go with you "instinct". thinking things over is good, but TOO much thinking can just get you off track and confuse you. if you see yourself thinking things over too much and going back and forth over everyday simple decisions, try your best to stop yourself. realize what your doing, stop, and just go with your very first instince and DONT look back. try to learn to be more confident in your decisions. dont think of yourself as an "indecisive" person because then you WILL actually be indecisive.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:20 AM   #4
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Good advice about first instinct and go with it. But I do the same thing and will end up with more clothes then I need. But thats ok, i like to shop-lol! I do it a lot in a restaurant. I won't be able to decide what to order and then everyone has ordered and the waitress is standing there waiting for me , and then the pressure is on - lol! Then after I order and she leaves, I usually say - I should have ordered THAT instead! I have no idea how to stop it. I guess I have always felt that my decisions are always wrong so its better to accept someone elses. I don't think thats the way its supposed to be though.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:21 AM   #5
(female)

TLP53 HB User

Hi Tonya,
Yep, I too know what you're going through. This indecisive compulsive behavior is something I try to control on a daily basis. When I go out of the house to do shopping anywhere, (Grocery store, Home Depot, JC Penney's) I either write down a list or only go in for one thing. I must prethink exactly what I am going to buy, go in and get it and then get out. I can't look around and must concentrate to stay on task. If they don't have what I need (not want) then I force myself to leave. I feel better coming out with nothing rather than going through the same cycle over and over again. If I don't have a plan and go in unprepared I can spend hours (one time 4hrs in Walmart) looking for something I need, come out exhausted, usually not what I went in for, and then I feel guilty because I wasted a whole day accomplishing nothing. The internet is also a dangerous place for me, I limit my time. AHHHH, mind control, the pause that refreshes.
Take care, Terry

Closed Thread