It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

Whelmed HB User
Paxil & Memory Loss/Trouble in School

Hey!

So I started taking Paxil (again) in December and it's been working super well! BUT... I used to be naturally smart, actually gifted, but now I'm getting like 60s and I'm working my butt off! It's not because I'm depressed, because I don't feel that way anymore thanks to the drugs, but my Mom thinks they might be affecting my memory and ability to learn. Anyone have any comments on this? Thanks!

A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 03:16 AM   #2
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
Re: Paxil & Memory Loss/Trouble in School

I would talk to your dr, but in my little experience with the anti ds, my memory has definitely suffered (unless I am just getting old-lol). My ability to concentrate was also horrible. I don't know if there is any other options that might work for you, but try discussing with your dr. Good luck! Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

TLP53 HB User

Hi there,
I don't know if Paxil affects memory, but I'm wondering if you are combining Paxil with other drugs. My advice, tell your doctor, maybe he can nudge your meds (one way or another) to increase your concentration. Talk to him about alternative meds that could do the same job, their are a lot out there. Hang in there.
Terry

Old 03-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Hi A,

Paxil is an SSRI and they are known to effect your memory. If it's really bothering you, talk to your doc. He may be able to add welbutrin or change something around for you. I take prozac and know that it effects my memory but, don't want to take a chance on changing it right now. That's the tough part since the Paxil is working for you. You are also going to have to decide if you are willing to take a chance and change. I don't envy you that.

Love and Hugs,

Jamie

Closed Thread