It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User
"anxious, restless, and agitated" mania as opposed to "on top of the world" mania

My therapist that I have been seeing for the past 6 mo has begun to consider the possibility that I am bipolar.

I've already been diagnosed with OCD and major depression - both of which I don't doubt for a second that I have.

Most of the time I'm depressed, don't feel like doing anything, just lay in bed with my cat and watch tv... but when I'm not depressed (and when I'm not just in a good mood - because once in a blue moon I have a good day) I'm usually really irritable, anxious, restless and pissy. The slightest things will set me off. I won't want to see anyone because I just hate people. I turn into a monster!

If anyone has experiences with having bipolar but with having these kinds of episodes as opposed to happy manic episodes, I'd love to hear some of your stories.

I'm also curious as to whether the "shift" in mood in BD is unpredictable, or if things can "set you off" and make you go from one extreme to the other?

Old 03-11-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
(female)

dragon25 HB User
Re: "anxious, restless, and agitated" mania as opposed to "on top of the world" mania

Hi Jules,

I experience mania episodes just like you. I am very irriatble and annoyed by eveyone and everything. I seem like such a mean person to everyone else. All I ever want to do is clean and organize all by myself while listening to music.

The shift in moods can be unpredictable, but I have had things set me off too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

alexgranny HB User
Re: "anxious, restless, and agitated" mania as opposed to "on top of the world" mania

Hi, Jules,
I can really relate to your symptons because mine are very similar. You might want to explore the possibility you might have bipolar II. It is characterized by many depressive states and hypomania which manifests itself as irritability, restlessness and agitation (no extreme highs). It is a different animal from bipolar I but just as hard to treat. Talk to your doctor about it. Mine is controlled with a few different meds but it took awhile to find the right combination.
Good luck. My thoughts are with you.

Last edited by alexgranny; 03-11-2005 at 02:56 PM.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
(male)

Colefort HB User

My gf who is diagnosed as hypomanic bipolar has episodes similar to what you describe I think. The reason I say I think, is because she will tell me that she is crabby, and then shut me out for 3 or 4 days where she will barely even talk to me. I think that is her way of trying to protect me from her hypomanic "wrath". She never had the problem when she was on her meds, so I would definitely explore treatment if it interferes with your daily life.

CF

Old 03-11-2005, 11:58 PM   #5
(female)

paula66 HB User

you sound bi-polar to me!! i am.i tend to stay on the manic side,and have what they call mixed episodes.i could be laughing one minute and somebody can say or do something, and then boom im goin off like a rocket!but it dont always take anybody to do or say anything,i can be alone and it happens.i am on several different meds,but the key med is a mood stabelizer my doc gives me 2,lithium and seroquel,the seroquel helps with aggitaion and helps me too sleep,ask your doc about these meds and if they are right for you, you are in my prayers,hang in there,

Old 03-12-2005, 03:25 AM   #6
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon25

All I ever want to do is clean and organize all by myself while listening to music.
This describes me to a tee! I also have the happy times too. But I really feel as though I need order to make everything ok. why is that?? Lori

Old 03-12-2005, 05:48 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula66
you sound bi-polar to me!! i am.i tend to stay on the manic side,and have what they call mixed episodes.i could be laughing one minute and somebody can say or do something, and then boom im goin off like a rocket!but it dont always take anybody to do or say anything,i can be alone and it happens.i am on several different meds,but the key med is a mood stabelizer my doc gives me 2,lithium and seroquel,the seroquel helps with aggitaion and helps me too sleep,ask your doc about these meds and if they are right for you, you are in my prayers,hang in there,
I'm on 80mgs of Paxil, along with Lamictal and Xanax. I haven't taken the Lamictal for that long, though, so we'll see how that works.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:09 AM   #8
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Hey Jules, I have been on lamictal for about 10 days now. I am also anxious to see how it will work. I already notice I am calmed down somewhat, but I have a horrible cold so I am not sure what contributes to what. I hope to follow your progress as well. Love, Lori

Old 03-12-2005, 06:35 AM   #9
(female)

suzzie HB User

My brother is classic bi polar- highs and lows. Me on the other hand, feel anxiety, irritibility that all lead to depression. I think there are many forms of bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed as bipolar by a few doctors but never took medication for fear of gaining weight on lithium. I am miserable though and heard it is the gold standard for bi polar.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:13 AM   #10
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Lightbulb Re: "anxious, restless, and agitated" mania as opposed to "on top of the world" mania

I have the same symptoms, I can go off at the drop of a hat over nothing. I am mad about everything and then I am happy??? It is crazy but it is part of our disease and we have to try and deal with it. I am one of those persons who when I am havinf the "bad" day, just wants to be left totally alone....Kahlia

Old 03-13-2005, 09:14 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

I think we have all kind of experienced the same thing. I have had days where I was on top of the world, full of energy, feeing optomistic about everything, and the days where my whole family just stays the hell away, cause they know I'm gonna bite their head off for anything they say.

I think sometimes we become irritable when people notice we are getting kinda manic, and try to make us aware of our behavior. We forget about other peoples feelings, how dare they rain on our parade!

And we rationalize our behavior to ourselves, not realizing how out of control we are getting. I really enjoy being manic. It's like a free drug, and when I dont take my sedatives, I get high. So, really we are like drug-addicts, and not staying on our meds is like falling off the wagon...?

( by the way, my doc just changed my meds, and I'm "a little manic".) Is that like being an alcoholic and being a little drunk? My husband is not happy about it. But I just followed my doctor's advice, cause I was getting too depressed. I know I should call my doctor tomorrow, but I feel soo good, I dont want it to end. I've lost 5 lbs, in one week. I know I need to consider my family, and not make them suffer cause I like to be high on my mania....right?
-H

Closed Thread