It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

Sarabeara55 HB User
Zyprexa

I am 16 and just diagnosed as being bipolar, for about 2 years before that diagnoses I was misdiagnosed with an anxiety disorder and started on Lexapro and Elavil. The Elavil increased my appetite beyond belief and I went from about 145 to about 180 in a few months so I stopped taking it and was put on Zonegran which is and anti-siezure drug but has prove wieght loss effects and so far I have lost a little amout of wieght. But the I started seeing a psychiatrist and was diagnosed as being bipolar and taken off of the lexapro and put on Zyprexa which he said can cause serious wait loss but I have not been able to find out about how much wieght people have gained. So if you have been on this or know of someone else who has been I would like to know what to excpect. I know I should want to stop feeling how I feel mentally but my wieght gain has been a serious source of problems. so if you know about Zyprexa or about a good drug that doesnt cause wieght gain please let me know.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Zyprexa

abilify is not supose to cause weight gain.
Welcome to the boards.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Sara,

Hi honey! Yeah Zeprexa is bad for weight gain. I got up to 209 on it and I'm only 5'4" tall. Abilify like Mud suggested is a good weight loss choice. I'm taking Geodon since I got off the Zeprexa and have lost a bunch of weight. It might help you. Just remember to take care of yourself first!

Our friend Ruth always says:"Skinny or sane" "Skinny or sane"

You do have a unique problem in that you're only 16 and it's important in high school not to be over weight.

The abilify and geodon are anti psycotics just like Zyprexa. I had a seemless transition from the Zyprexa to the geodon. I hope this helps in some way.

Love,

Jamie

Old 03-13-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Hi, Sara

I had zyprexa recently prescribed for me. I had taken it before, but forgot about the weight thing. It makes me crave food constantly, even after a large meal. I'm asking for a switch to geodon next time I see my prescriber . . .this Wednesday.

I have to confess that I quit taking it after two days . . . I had already gained 4 pounds. I'm not very big in the discipline area when it comes to food.

I can definitely identify with the weight gain from meds, though. I just worked really hard this past year to lose what I had gained from other meds.

Good luck!

Closed Thread