It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
addictions, side effects ??

Ok, now I have 2 issues I can't let go of. First off, I feel like all i want to do is drink coffee, or alcohol or eat chocolate. I developed the coffee thing when I first went on prozac last fall and never looked back. I tried to do half decaf and half regular, but I quit that because I figured why should I? And every day I feel like I need at least one piece of chocolate and if i don't have any, I end up eating a bunch of other junk I don't really want. Oh, if not choc. then something like a whole can of frosting. anything like pure sugar.

Secondly, I have started the Lamictal starter pk about 10 days ago. I get really bad headaches (but I have kind of had them all along), little bouts of dizziness that make me catch my breath or something, and sensitivity to light. Like I go walking outside and I want to close my eyes because its too bright outside.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?? Just had to get this junk out of my head. Thanks for listening (or not-lol). Lori

Old 03-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User
Re: addictions, side effects ??

Hi Lori,

I have the light sensitivity too. I'm not sure if it's a side effect or not. I know that SSRI's can make you sun sensitive. If it is a side effect, it's one I can live with. I wear sunglasses when I go outside year round. I search online until I find a style I really like then go to Wal-mart and buy some knock off's. Works for me.

The Coffee and Alcohol could both be addictions. They are for me anyway. I'll tell you I never even liked the taste of coffee and I drank pots a day.

Now having to have the chocolate or eating a bunch of other stuff could be a side effect. I don't know anything about the meds your on but, you might want to check it out. (Your not alone on eating that whole can of frosting when you can't get what you're really craving).

You come here and dump the junk out of your head anytime you want to. That's what friends are for.

Love,

Jamie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 02:18 AM   #3
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Thanks Jamie. Some days I just feel like "I WANT ANSWERS"! I need a reason for every weird thing going on with me physically. Why don't I just get over it and live a little?? LOL! Love, Lori

Old 03-14-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Lori,

I resently learned something in a book I'm going to apply. With so many medical things going wrong with me all at once I tend to worry about every itch.

So...this author suggested that you set yourself a daily time to think about these things and then (like say 2 in the afternoon). Spend that hour thinking about and looking into stuff...then put it out of your mind until the next day at 2 (or whatever time you choose). If you mind wonders back to it either dismiss it or jot a quick note and let it go until 2. Then you slowly cut back the time over many weeks until you start doing it every other day...then narrow it down to once a week. Eventually it's no longer something that you think about all the time. Sounds like it might work for me. Hope this helps you.

Love,

Jamie

Old 03-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
(female)

alexgranny HB User

Hi, Goofyafter 5,
Something you said really struck me. It seems you're beating yourself up for not "just getting over it". The reality is you have a mental disorder that is physically based. You would not expect yourself to just get over diabetes or cancer. Thank God there are now a variety of meds available for us to try. I go way back and I can remember when there weren't many choices around.
Please be kind to yourself. You deserve it.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Jamie, that sounds like a wonderful idea ON PAPER!! LOL!! Seriously, something I need to work on. I hope I can remember to try it.

alexgranny, I know. Its so hard for me to get rid of that mindset. I have had it since first diagnosed ppd last summer. I thought there is no such thing as ppd and if there is, I don't have it. The worse things got, it was like one minute -nothing wrong with me. Next minute everything wrong. I am beginning to accept the bipolar diagnosis just so I can hang out here - LOL! Seriously, its very hard for me to accept. But I AM better than I was , so thats something.

Thank you for your help and support. Lori

Closed Thread