It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

US5BAIRDS HB User
Unhappy 17 year old son diagnosed BP

Hello everyone,
By reading the threads it appears that I may of come to the right place.
I'm the mother of 3 sons. My middle son is our problem. Ugh, problem isn't even close to the appropriate word. But, I guess I'll go with that. Where to start............as of now he's a chronic runaway, self medicates, he's been in trouble with the law, He spent 72 hours in the psych ward as a 5150 for threatening to kill himself, his emotions are up and down, he's nasty, hateful, on the other hand loving and warm. Towards me in particular, he blames me for everything and says if he's bipolar so am I. All of Zach's actions that are negative are always my fault. He says he can't get along with ME. If you knew me and the relationship I have with my sons you would understand that this is all ludicrous. The more I try to help him, support him and love him the meaner and crueler he gets towards me. My son has only lived in our house 3 months out of the last year. If ANYTHING gets uncomfortable he bolts. B/4 we knew he was bipolar we thought he was just going through some horrible teenage rebellion. As time goes by we know it's much, much more than teenage rebellion. We've tried a specialty boarding school, had him involved with drug rehab etc. etc. After 1000's and 1000's of dollars and our family is devestated over this boy it's worse than ever. He flat out refuses any kind of drug therapy. Although, he does agree freely to visit the psychiatrist, which I guess is a positive. My son doesn't even communicate with us except at his appointments.
My biggest question is for those of you who have children who were diagnosed BP........Did you always know something was not quite right? From the day Zach was born I knew there was something wrong. As a tiny infant he cried and cried constantly, only slept spiratically. As a child he got into these terrible crying jags that would last for hours. Now it's manifested itself into THIS! Mind you my son is so charming and can manipulate anyone when he wants something. We've now come down to a helpless feeling of not knowing where to turn next. I have this gut feeling the next we hear from our son will either be from the police, hospital or the morgue.
Anyone with any insight or guidance for our poor family would be soooo appreciated.
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 12:08 AM   #2
(female)

giddyup715 HB User
Re: 17 year old son diagnosed BP

Wow. That sounds as if that is what we've been going thru. We have 3 sons too. But my second son, is trying me to death. Everything you have posted about your son's baby days is exactly the same as what my son went thru.
Always crying, seemed like colic, we've always known that something was not right.
As far as school went, he hated it, and always was way far behind all his brothers and sister(s). It was nothing we did, but it's as if we were blamed for his inadaquatcies (sp) by him.
School contacted us regularily.
Then this guy down the street moved in and my son got along with him so well. It seems this guy was dealing drugs into the neighborhood. I know that's when my kid got hooked.
My son is a good-looking kid and everyone loves him. But now, he is into whiskey, ritalin, darvocets, and he has made it clear to me that he loves to smoke weed.
He had 2 drunk-driving offenses, which are done now.
He hasn't had anymore since he has no license.
My son is NOT a runaway. He prefers to drink at home and when he does, he talks like there is something wrong. I can't stand him when he is drinking.
He talks suicide a lot.
Tonight, he and his dad got into it.
His dad even talked of suicide cause he can't stand his son. I think it's a cop-out on both their parts.
Now, we really sound dysfunctional don't we?
I have looked into drug re-hab, and the others. My son is going to be 22 next month. Since I am the only one working in the family, he has no health insurance because of his age, but I am not willing to spend thousands of dollars for his re-hab if he is not willing to change (first off we don't have it).
Everyone that lived in our house moved out because of my son's addictions.
I really think that he is bi-polar and addicted to whiskey and the rest.
Tonight he and his dad got into it and I really am worried that he will commit suicide. Either by gun or by driving into an unfrozen lake. The temps here are about 5 degrees.
Now, Baird...let me ask you this? Are you torn between keeping your marriage and husband, or just keeping you child alive?
My son started early with this downward spiral. Your son is younger than mine. If there is anyways to stop this, do it. It gets worse as they get older. I want to call his DR. and let him know what's going on, but they are so quick to call the police because they prescribe a controlled substance, and they want to cover their butts. Now that the Dr.'s got my son addicted to this stuff, they will cover their butts and now won't see him because he has no health insurance. What should I do? It sounds as if we are both in the same boat.....The Titanic!

Old 03-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Hi linda,

I reposted your post on another thread so that people could see it before I saw this post. I hope you don't mind. I just wanted people to see it because you sounded do destressed.

I don't have much to add to the answer I posted there. You probably will get some more information from those of us that live in the disease. It's a prespective that might prove interesting.

Love,

Jamie

Old 03-14-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
(female)

alexgranny HB User

I can really sympathize with you. I have three grown children two of whom were diagnosed as bipolar (the other is depressed). My bipolar daughter was precisely the kind of baby you describe and I was always telling the doctor something was wrong. all he said was she would calm down when she went to school which was not the case at all. She was a gifted child on top of all this so planning appropriate programs for her was difficult.
My bipolar son did not manifest any symptons until he was a teenager when he started the mood swings. He did a lot of the things your son did. It truly was hell for awhile.
On a positive note, my children are now grown and happy in their lives. My oldest still struggles at times but she always gets back on track.
Good luck. I know you've heard this before but if things get bad enough for your son he just might get sober and be able to think more rationally about meds.
You might want to try Alanon. You will find people there who are dealing with children or spouses with dual diagnoses.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #5
(female)

Mother2Stefani HB User

My daughter is 18 and is dev. delayed, manic depressive bi polar and is now showing symptoms of Schizophrenia. She has been in and out of hospitals and has attempted suicide several times. She has cut and tried to overdose on her meds.... not fun!

She is now hearing voices and they tell her that we are out to get her and can't help her. They tell her to cut and the other day I caught her in the tub in scalding HOT water, she said the voices told her to do it.

We have an appointment tonight, but when I called the doc the other night he told me that he is worried about her and that he might pre-auth her for another hospital stay as she can't be trusted to be alone. When she's manic she won't take her pills, she'll either spit them out or throw them .... sometimes she won't bathe or comb her hair or brush her teeth .... it's a mess.

She has been on 51/50 watch several times and when she said what the doc wanted to hear they let her home and several hours later she was cutting.

I'm having a hard time because she is 18 and in the eyes of the law she is considered an adult. But ya know, one time she signed herself out of the hospital and I was so angry.

The nurse and I got into it and she booted me out of the hospital, but before I left I told her I find it amusing that my dd was selected for jury duty and they asked for me for a letter from her pdoc to excuse her. Reason: they didn't want want anyone with mental illness making a decision for someone elses life ..... but they (the law/hospital) let my dd who just tried to kill herself sign herself out of a hospital ...... man, everytime I think of that it makes me angry.

anyways, sometimes I feel so lost, like i'm gonna lose it - but I can't as I need to stay strong for her. I'm very blessed that my parents help me. I find myself scared to answer the phone because I think it's someone whos gonna tell me that something happened to my dd. I know that I can't give up on her, but sometimes I feel like i'm at my breaking point .......... what's a mother to do??

Old 03-15-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
(female)

US5BAIRDS HB User

Hello everyone,
First of all, thank you so much for your replies. They are all so helpful I attended my first BP support group meeting today. It helped so much. It felt good to be reassured that I've made the right choice to not take any of my son's abuse anymore and not subject myself to it. They said once he realizes he doesn't have me for his punching bag (verbally) anymore than he'll move on. I was told by them as well that Zach needs to find his own way. We've apparently exhausted all other options. We've now decided that we spent so much time, effort and money on trying to save Zach from himself that it's our turn to take care of ourselves and somehow get our family back on track. The marriage is solid. Thank God for that. I would of never been able to deal with this on my own. My husband is my salvation. Although, with the horrible rollercoaster ride we've been through it does cause much saddness and tension within our home. It has also negatively effected my other 2 sons. My oldest is 20 and such a great kid, he is just so angry that Zach has caused all of this mess, we are truly blessed. My 15 year old is still at the egotistical stage. He can only see how this has effected him and has no empathy for anyone else. So, we will actively try and get back to the functional, loving family we once were only without Zach. These are all Zach choices alone. This is not what any of us wish for him. It's so frustrating to know what potential this boy has and he's not using it. He's a fantastic kid, awesome sense of humor, too smart for his own good (he thinks he's smarter than EVERYONE else and thinks he has it all figured out), handsome, charming..........but, his dark side is so dark I can't even comprehend it.
I hope and pray that one day my beautiful son will show up on my doorstep and tell me, "Mom, I need help".
May God bless you all for your insight, concern and taking the time to share with me.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:18 AM   #7
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

I just wanted to cry reading your story. You sound like you have a wonderful plan and a wonderful support group. I know you will get the rest of your family back to a tight unit in no time. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I am sure he will come back too. It will just take a little time. YOU ROCK! Love, Lori

Old 03-16-2005, 06:01 AM   #8
(female)

Mother2Stefani HB User

I have to say that I feel the same way, my dd gets very mean and will throw things and act horrible. I'm afraid to take her out with me sometimes as I'm not sure how she will act. It's terrible, but I can't give up on her because I'm all she has, i'm a single parent and her Dad refuses to believe that she is ill.

My dd was placed in the hospital several times and he wouldn't go and see her or call her. You are very blessed that your husband is so supportive. Ya know, my dd had a break through the other day, for so long she wouldn't take to her pdoc - she would be rude to him and well, just flat out be nasty. Then she came to me and my Mom and was crying and told us that she can't handle the voices anymore and that she needs help. I called her pdoc and he got us in right away. We were there for 2 hours as she poured her heart out to him.

Things have gotten a bit better since then, but we are taking things one day at a time. This month has been very hard for her. She has been Manic for a few days now. It's hars as I don't know what way her moods will swing. One minute it's Mom I love you and the next it's there's no reason for me (meaning Stefani) to live ......

One minute she is good and the next she is hiding and trying ti cut. Her pdoc calls her a "Mixer." He said that means that her moods are up and down - up and down - he said that's the worst because at times she may not be able to keep up with herself and that she will probably need to be placed back in the hospital.

She was on suicide watch for 2 days earlier this month due to her mixer moods. Her pdoc told me that Oct and March are the worst months, he didn't know why but he said that 80% of his patiences are placed in the hospital for mental illness. He calls it "The blue light special months."

I hope that one day your son will come to you for help, it's heart wrenching I know - the thing that keeps me going and holding on for my dd is the thought of how terrified she must be dealing with all of this and thinking that she is all alone.

Sometimes I feel like my dd is a "Fallen Angel" and she needs me to help mend her broken little wings so she can hold her head up high and learn to fly again! But until she can, I promised her that I would always wrap my motherly wings around her and hold her tight and do what I can to help and guide her and most of all protect her.

Sorry this is so long ......... Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 03-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #9
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Oh Mother to Stefani. I so know what you mean. We want to protect our children from everything even themselves if need be. Your love and support will get you through. Love, Lori

Old 03-16-2005, 01:12 PM   #10
(female)

US5BAIRDS HB User

Hi Giddyup,
So, how old are you're boys? Raising 3 boys is definately a challenge especially when you have ones that's like ours. Apparently Zach did meet my dad to take him to his appointment today. Still waiting to hear from my husband to see how it went. I've stopped going to the appointments because my son is so abusive to me. He needs to know that his abuse WILL stop towards me. It does kill me to not at least see with my own eyes that he's alive and well. But, I have to do what I have to do. Zach can't have a doubt in his mind that I will always love him and do anything I can to help. One day he will open his eyes and see that (I hope).
Linda

Old 03-16-2005, 11:07 PM   #11
(female)

giddyup715 HB User

Hey Linda...nothing but big hugs to you! I read and re-read your posts over and over. I've worked with juvenile deliquents(my occupation earlier) and now I work with prison inmates, and yet I can say what to do but can't see it for myself, if you can understand that. It's like a psychic can SEE things for others but not for themselves.
I really wish that I could use my experience with juvenile delinquents (on meds) to help you out.
Linda, as for the ages of my boys, we have 5 kids, all a year apart.
We lost the oldest to cancer at the age of 18.
Sarah was 18, then a boy, age 17, then another boy, age 16, then another boy age 14 then a daughter age 13.
It was pretty tough. My son that I have written about loved his sister, and before she died he wrote a beautiful song and sang it to her with guitar and all and it was videotaped. Everyone has seen that tape but me. My son that wrote that song is the one that had the hardest time dealing with her death.
She died 2 days before Christmas. He is the one that I know (wrote about) that is barely hanging on. After losing is sister, that's when he started going down hill.
This is what I am recommending after working with juvenile delinquents before he is of adult age.
After adult age, he is no longer on your insurance. Before he turns 18 get all the help you can get.
Ask the judge, what opportunities are available for him. If he has to go to go to a home i.e., Boysville or another, they will keep him and the meds that he is prescribed and give him counseling. If you don't take advantage of these programs and he becomes an adult, he will be tried as an adult even though he may have the mentality of a 15-16 year old.
If the courts offer a way out, take it. Don't pick up the financial pieces.
If they demand re-hab make him do it. Cause if you pick up the pieces (financially and morally) he won't get the help he needs and by the time he turns 18 then he will have no insurance and you will be stuck with the bill.
You gotta end this cycle (and who am I to say what to do to stop this), but I work in a prison, and God bless, you don't want that for your child.
Believe me, I've stood in front of the judge in my uniform, with the badge on my sleeve, and for some reason they think you can handle everything they throw at you. If you appear to have money, they will expect you to pay it.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:33 AM   #12
(female)

GinaMc HB User

Sounds to me like you are all doing the best that you can. I agree, as long as they are under 18, do everything you can to at least expose them to the help that is out there. Whether they listen or not is up to them.
My daughter was over 18 when she asked for help, but was willing to go to an outpatient program. However, she didn't follow through with counseling like she knew she was supposed to do. She was diagnosed bi-polar when she was 20. Her doctor tried many different meds and med combinations. Lots of times that is the way it goes and very frustrating. Ultimately, it comes down to whether or not they will cooperate in getting themselves "healthy" again. I think when they are struggling so much with these illnesses or syndromes, they can't see clearly what they must be doing. It's a Catch-22. They have to want to help themselves, but sometimes I believe they are unable to. We can only do so much as parents-especially when they are over 18.
The last night I spent with my daughter, she seemed actually happy, which was the first time I had seen her that way in probably 2 years. I don't know if it was her new med (Symbiax), or something else she realized...Anyway the next day I found her dead on the floor of her room from a heart attack caused by cocaine use (the self-medicating drug of choice for bi-polar). I don't believe she committed suicide (at least not conciously) but she might have come to the point where she realized she was killing herself and it didn't matter anymore. A release...
My point is, expose your children to the help that is available but realize that you cannot control their behavior. You cannot "make" them be healthy. Yes, it is terrifying. Yes, it is heartbreaking. Sometimes they help themselves and sometimes they don't. I wish it wasn't so. Love, Gina

Old 03-17-2005, 08:58 PM   #13
(female)

US5BAIRDS HB User

Hi Giddyup & Gina,
Thanx for you posts. We've been through the gambit with this kid. We've been through realizing that the law is of no help. They just bring him back home after he'd runaway but, only if we can tell them where to find him. He just takes off again. Even when he was arrested for burgulary the police wouldn't even take him to juvenille hall. We asked them to lock him up and they refused. They just told us to show up for court. Then, just a little slap on the wrist with 6 months informal probation and a fat check from us. I've had 2 different appointments with 2 different attorneys, we're screwed. We will be responsible for him until he's 18 in July. No other way around it. As we live in California it is a child friendly state. The boy has been hospitalized for threatening to kill himself to his grandmother. They 51/50'd him and they kept him on a 72 hours hold only. They felt he was no longer a threat to himself. Psychiatrist wanted to put him on mood stabilizers as he suspected bipolar. Zach wouldn't take it. So, he came home and we had him in drug counseling where he did well for 3 months. We then let him go back to H.S. and that's all she wrote. He got bored with the whole thing. He took off again and started smoking weed (that's all we know of) all over again. Now he won't come home, call us or anything, again. The only time my husband sees him is for him psych appointments which he seems to not baulk at. He goes freely. I get this sneaking feeling he's playing a big game with the Dr. At least he's going so I guess that's a positive. My biggest fear is that someday these less than desirable people who are available for Zach out there in the big bad world will eventually break down. When that happens Zach will go over the deep end. I am scared to death he will do something to himself. But. our hands are tied. We can't do anything whatsoever about any of it. We have been so active for the last 2 years to try and save Zach from himself. We've now exhausted all options. I supposed we have to allow the natural consquences play themselves out. Whatever they may be. That's what is so scary. We (our entire extended family and us) cannot reason with this kid. He does not seem to have and empathy or remorse for the hell he's created for his family. Is that usual for this disorder to not care about how many people he drags down?
We have used every available resourse to try and help our son. I'm sure hoping he sees the light and wants help very, very soon.
Ahhhhh, just another night of venting for me. Thanks for listening.
Giddyup..........I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. That must of been devestating for your family. I can't even imagine the grief you must feel.
Gina..............My God what a horrible story.
What strong and loving woman both of you must be. You've got so much grief and still you try and help others. God is blessing you. Tonight I will make sure I include the both of you in my prayers that you will both find peace.
Linda

Old 03-18-2005, 05:32 AM   #14
(female)

Mother2Stefani HB User

Good morning everyone!
As i was reading through the last few post, i realize that i'm not alone. My dd is hitting manic mode and I think it's time to place her back in the hospital. I'm so frustrated with the system here in Cali, ya know, the last time my dd was in a Psych hospital she signed herself out as she is 18. But the thing that ticks me off is that she was summons for Jury duty and I called the court house, talked to one of the ladys there. I told her that my dd was dev. delayed not to mention bp, she told me that I needed to get a note from her pdoc to have her excused.

Then the lady made a comment to me and said that she was glad that I called as they wouldn't want anyone who was dev. delayed and bp making a life or death decision for someone. I hti the roof when she said that. I told her, "So basically it's ok for someone who just tried to take her life to sign herself out of a hospital, but the court house dosen't want her to make a life or death decision for someone else?

anyways, let me get off my soap box ..last night was a rough one, my dd is refusing to take her meds. She won't talk to anyone and is throwing things - it was getting ugly. We have an appointment today with her pdoc but i know that it will not do any good. My dd is so rude to him and refuses to talk to him. can't wait to see what happens today ....

My dd hears voices and they tell her that we are all out to get her and that she isn't worth anything .... and so on ...... My dd can't be left alone - we can't trust her. my dd is pretty much a loner, but got hooked up with the wrong crowd and started running away, I called the police - they found her but she was so disrespectful to them. She actually threw her cell phone at one of the policemen. I thought for sure that they would have taken her - for assult and battery if anything, but they didn't.

She has since stopped hanging out with that group of friends, but she is manic more than ever. Her moods are up and down all the time, her pdoc calls it "Mixer Moods" - I feel like i'm walking on eggshells all the time when i'm with her. I don't know what the answer is, but I wish that I would hurry up and find it, i feel like i'm gonna have a nervous breakdown.

I'm tired all the time - i'm always worried about her or crying for her - i'm always wondering if today is the last time i'll see her .... she is very unpredictable right now. I didn't sleep much last night as I was worried that she was gonna hurt herself.

ugh ---------

Old 03-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #15
(female)

US5BAIRDS HB User

Hi Mother 2 Stephani,
Ugh, poor thing. Doesn't it sometimes feel like your kid is one that will fall through the cracks? I get the feeling the dr.'s and therapists don't REALLY grasp the severity of the problem. They see these kids for like an hour a week. Or, they see so many troubled people in their profession that nothing really phases them. I can certainly understand becoming desensitized. I used to be an emergency room employee. Rarely did anything phase me one way or the other. You become so accustomed to seeing death and despair. I guess it's human nature to protect yourself. If these doctors and therapist took all of their patients to heart they'd go crazy themselves. Since you live in California yourself you probably know that you're pretty much on your own and the law cannot help you. Even when Zach broke the law they wouldn't lock him up. Even when Zach runs away they could give a care. Oh baby, the courts sure want Mom & Dad's money though for their trouble in processing your kid in an already stressed system. Frustrating to say the least. I don't know if I'm just frustrated or does the system really suck? Where's my tax dollars going? Now my son is out there 17 years old on his own and the law don't care but, you betcha when he breaks the law they'll be looking for our checkbook again and they'll wonder why our kid isn't living at home. Ugh~!@!@
Ok, sorry, enough of my rambling. {{{{removed}}}}
Linda

Last edited by moderator2; 03-19-2005 at 04:52 PM. Reason: second reminder - please carefully review the posting rules

Closed Thread