It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
(female)

MissAnneThrope HB User
Social Anxiety & BP

Does anyone here with BP also experience social anxieties? Like feeling uncomfortable at parties or unable to hold a conversation with someone? I find myself avoiding public places and people a lot (even people I know well) and when I do get into a situation that requires me to speak to someone I stress out so much that I can't think of anything to say at all, or worse, say something totally innapropriate! (This isn't very convenient for me as my field of work requires me to communicate with individuals daily)

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, did you notice an improvement when you went on a mood stabilizer for your Bi-Polar condition or did you require a separate drug to treat your "overblown-shyness" in addition to the highs and lows caused by the chemical imbalance in your brain???

By the way...I just discovered this message board today. I'm learning so much and I just wanted to thank you all. You have given hope to someone who has been living in a shadowy blackened palace for a very long time.

Old 03-14-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
Re: Social Anxiety & BP

I have been on Lamictal about 10 days now. I have been experiencing the "no going out" thing for a few months now. For some reason even grocery shopping is tough. I am hoping I will settle down in time. Good luck! Lori

Are you planning on seeing a dr? Or are you already?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
(female)

Munozchick HB User

I have the same problem! I find myself scheduling grocery shopping, shopping, and any other task around a time when the places wont be busy. Or I go to a store where I know it wont be as big or open. Or even if it has harsh lighting where people can see every flaw. I have been like this for a long time. I did notice that when I was on a mood stabalizer it helped. I have gained alot of weight since being on zoloft and I think it has made it worse. So, since I have been like this for such a long time I dont know if its self esteem related or because of social anxiety. I'm sorry I dont have much advice. Im more of an advice taker rather than giver. I just wanted you to know that other people go through the same things. Maybe its something that you can talk to your doctor about.

Good luck and keep posting!

Love,
Deanne

Old 03-14-2005, 05:13 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Yes, I can totally relate, too. I used to be so outgoing, have lots of friends and aquaintances, and I never felt any anxiety about going around people. Now I have closed myself off to the point where I was actually happy to move across the country so that I wouldnt run into anyone I knew, and feel obligated to have a conversation with them.
I feel embarrased still because I know that in manic states, I have blabbed a hundred miles a minute and said things that were waaaay to much information, or other times, I have been depressed, probably come off as uninterested and rude.
I've felt stable for a while, (until lately) but sometimes I don't even want to take out the trash or get the mail cause a neighbor might start a conversation with me GOD FORBID!!- I guess it's all part of the disease. Thanks for making me feel like I'm not alone. (I wish my kids could have known the old me!!)
-H

Old 03-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Here I am laughing! I could blab on and on for hours about total irrelevant topics. I thought that was a "gift" LOL! Its kind of fun though, isn't it? Every person in the world has some kind of probs or hangups. Lets just try to laugh at ours as often as we can cry about it. Ok, I'll shut up already! Lori

Closed Thread