It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 05:53 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User
I guess it could be worse....

Hi. I was just reading some of your posts and threads this morning, and I couldn't get one thing out of my head. We can continue to offer each other advice and support,(and that's priceless) but we can't really say it's gonna get better. Not unless they find a cure. Until then we can only cope with our symptoms, and medicate ourselves into a state that we and others can tolerate.

I was watching home movies last night of my young family, about 5 years ago, and looking at myself and thinking THAT PERSON NO LONGER EXISTS. It's really sad.

The only thing that makes me feel a little better is to realize that I could have been born 50 years sooner, in which case we would all probably be institutionalized, or in a third world country and have no clue what-so-ever was going on. And have no health care system, or internet support group. So, really we're lucky..
-H

Last edited by polarized13; 03-14-2005 at 09:22 AM.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User
Re: I guess it could be worse....

You are right. I often think "what would this be like without modern pharmacology" I seem to be a poor responder to the older medicines and only have moderately good result with the really new stuff. But I hear you on missing who you used to be. I used to be creative, witty, and in love with the oddest aspects of life. Through out my treatment I've ALOT of that dissapear and become replaced with a barely functioning shell of myself. I've recently gained some of my personality back (thank you seroquel) but I worry about how long it will last. But yes it could be worse. I could still be hiding under my kitchen table in an empty house with no idea why.

Plus I've learned more about this illness on this board than half the conversations with my pdoc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

Hey ther 'P13',

Good thread. However, if you are at that stage now, think ahead to what comes next in the sequence..perhaps..."What can 'I' do to improve my quality of life"...welcome to 'MY' world...

Hedge.

ps - Hi Reesie, long time no see...

Old 03-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

I just want to cry reading this. I can't even bring myself to look at any home movies, let alone make new ones. We will just end up being better, stronger people, right? A girl can dream can't she - LOL! I used to think a boring life was just boring. Guess it was pretty fun! Hang tough! Lori

We ARE pretty lucky!

Old 03-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

-H,

Oh honey, I'm sorry you feel this way. It makes me sad to think of it.

I have to agree with Hedge there are so many areas we can work on to improve our situations. Hedge is the poster child for it. We can learn to tell the difference between situational depression and bp depression and work on the situational. We have every oppurtunity that non bp's have for personal growth. It's just important to remember we have a disease, we are not that disease. I don't say I'm bipolar any more I say I have bipolar disorder. I don't say I'm diabetic anymore I say I have diabetes.

Think of that person no longer existing as a good thing. It gives you an opportunity to grow. I'm not the person I was 5 years ago nor do I want to be. I like me the way I am right now...bp and all.

Love,

Jamie

Old 03-14-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Thanks Jamie. I didnt look at it that way. I just seemed so happy and care-free and "in the moment" when I saw those movies.

I realize that there are many things in my life right now that are causing me stress and may affect my moods just as much as my bipolar does. And that everyone grows and changes, especially in their 30's, that's when we finally start to "get it", right?

I also know that even when I had everything I ever wanted, I wasn't happy, and I couldn't seem to keep it together, and couldn't figure out why. Yes, its easy now to blame everything that goes wrong on bipolar. I'm going to start going to a therapist in addition to my p-doc. Maybe that will help me figure out the difference between the situational stuff and the disease.

Is that what Hedge was talking about when he said to think ahead to what comes next in the sequence? Cause I have been trying to figure it out all day....

I know that I'm like a fish out of water being so far from home. And I don't know if the sacrifice will pay off or be worth it in the long run. I know life is short and I don't want to waste it being in a place that makes me miserable. If your not sure what I'm talking about, I have mentioned it in other posts.

I appreciate the responses from all of you guys.

-H

Old 03-15-2005, 02:23 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

-H,

YES. You first have to recognise the situation BEFORE you can change it.

It took me seven YEARS before I realised it with myself.

Don't rush, take it steady, enjoy the personal growth.

ps - poster 'child'... at 4 weeks short of 39...mmm (tee-hee)

Hedge.

Closed Thread