It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

MissAnneThrope HB User
So I took my first pill today...

Wow...Made a big step today - I took my stubborn self down to the clinic to see a Dr. and was given a trial pack of EFFEXOR (a form of Venlafaxine) This is the first time I have EVER let myself take a prescription drug for my Bi Polar disorder. Even after having nervous breakdowns at work, thoughts of death and suicide, anxiety attacks and embarrassing myself numerous times trying to engage in an intellectual conversation while being as manic as Carrot Top on coke...

I've spent the last few years making up excuses for my disease "maybe I'm just anemic, or lazy" trying to self-medicate with herbs, "sucking-it-up". I was just barely getting by - and it was only because circumstances in my life were very positive and hopeful. Then things changed, my life did a 180 and I realized that if I was ever going to get back on track something had to be done. Bono was right - sometimes you can't make it on your own...Rather than calling this a defeat I see this as a victory - I'm one step closer to finding the antidote that will allow me get the things in life that I deserve.
Sorry if my ramblings are boring anyone I just thought I would share.

P.S. - If anyone else has taken the same meds as I have I"d be interested to hear of your experiences. I know every body responds differently but it's always fun to compare right?

Old 03-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
(female)

dragon25 HB User
Re: So I took my first pill today...

I am on effexor and I really like it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
(female)

MissAnneThrope HB User

Really? How long have you been using it? Do you take anything else in addition??

Old 03-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
(female)

dragon25 HB User

I have been on it for about two years and I also take lithium. For the Two years I have been on it I haven't really been depressed until just this weekend. (see "Just wanna write") Sometimes I will be mildly depressed but I think it's more from just everyday life stresses. I hope it works well for you.

Old 03-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
(female)

MissAnneThrope HB User

Thanks for sharing your info with me, I'm sorry you had a bad episode this weekend. Having a significant other who is patient and understanding is a blessing...

I've been reading up a lot about Effexor this afternoon and to be honest I'm becoming quite frightened of this drug. I don't mean to scare you as well but apparently this stuff is pretty addictive - the withdrawl symptoms of this drug are very severe and it can take months to recover. I'll go into more detail of what I read only if you ask, if things are working well for you than you don't need to know.

To those who have been on other meds, are many of them so dangerous? I don't necessarily expect to luck out on my first try with drugs but if my life is going to get worse on these things than I'd rather do without and suffer the way I have been for so many years...

Old 03-14-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Hi. I just wanted to wish you luck.

As for your question about the meds being dangerous. Yes. As far as I'm concerned. I was in a doped up stupor for more than half a year, and now I'm coming out of it, and wondering what the heck happened in my life while I was Ms. Complacent.

But then I didn't have a support group to stay in check with, either.

I have had a little trouble getting off this drug, headaches, trouble sleeping, anxiety, etc. But I know that everything is going to be okay.

-H

Old 03-15-2005, 04:18 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Ps.

I just re-read what I wrote this morning, and it sounds REALLY negative. I dont mean to scare you about taking meds. The hard part it seems is that some anti-psychics can really have an effect that is ultimately counter-productive. But that can only happen if you DONT take control of your own life, and you allow yourself to see what's going on while it's happening. And obvioulsy in my life it's a little more complicated than staying on the wrong med for too long. I know nothing at all about the drug you are taking. But as long as you have a real support system in place, you should be ok.....

Old 03-15-2005, 05:13 AM   #8
(female)

dragon25 HB User

I used to take Paxil so I am well aware of the withdrawal symptoms. They were devastating to me. I truly wanted to die. I think this goes for pretty much any anti-depressant. I feel the same without them though so I guess I would rather take the risk.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Seems there is always a nice list of scary potential side-effects for just about anything you take. For perspective, read up a bit on some otc meds. Some, if not many of them are a little scary, as well. Always a cost/risk/benefit situation.

For most of us, it isn't a difficult choice once we find one that really does work. Unfortunately, it can take years of experimentation. Then again, some hit gold on the first strike.

I just read the first sentence on the above paragraph and had to laugh. I make it sound like I take one look at life without meds and happily take my pills like a good little girl. The truth is I'm very good at developing a good case of amnesiac denial and quit taking everything only to find myself slapped in the face with the reality of things. Just getting over an episode of that, but learn from my experiences and try to avoid that route.

As for my personal experience with effexor, I ended up swinging all over the place with it. I do that with any anti-d that I have ever tried. Yet, I didn't have any problem with withdrawal. Everyone is different. I have known it to work very well for some people I know.

I wish you luck.

--Loopy

Old 03-15-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Effexor is for bi-polar also? I thought it was only for depression and types of anxiety? It is a mood stabilizer also?

Old 03-16-2005, 05:40 AM   #11
(female)

dragon25 HB User

It is not a mood stablizer. It just helps with the depression part of bipolar. If it isn't taken with a mood stablizer though, it can cause severe mania.

Closed Thread