It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
(male)

maniasterisk HB User
There's no ubiquitous "answer" to this disorder, yet the head-banging goes on...

To the tune of a Beach Boys tune...

Wouldn't it be nice if we were " nor-mal "...
....... medicated each and all the same...
And wouldn't it be nice if di-ag-nosis...
....... wasn't such a tough and biased game !!!

And so on and so forth...

Reality. It ain't easy. Learning about yourself and hoping you can nip the side-bars in the bud before they pull you further off course...

You can medicate or self-medicate yourself into a "space" where cogent thought no longer becomes an omnipresent concern...

You can whine to yourself and others, and wonder if your ruminations are considered "progress' - or just a waste of collective time...

You can go on tangents of neo-self-destruction and/or distraction - particularly when toying with HUGE stimuli like HUMAN SEXUALITY...

Or, you can stay at home, watch a DVD, and let the popcorn work its own magic on your waistline and kidneys...

Life's about choices. So is BiPolar disorder...

I was asked why I lean towards this bulletin board. It gives me an outlet to feel like I might be helping myself and others.

I only hope that's true !!!

4444... (IV)... 4444.... (square-root of 16)... 4444... (2x2)...

~ May the "fours" be with you !!!

~ M*

PS ~ The 4's part was to offset the potentially negative tone of the part that preceeded it...

Last edited by maniasterisk; 03-18-2005 at 08:50 AM.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User
Re: There's no ubiquitous "answer" to this disorder, yet the head-banging goes on...

Hey M*,

You definately bring something special to the board. I always look forward to reading your posts. If we did a group IQ test, I have a feeling you would get the highest score...ubiquitous is an awfully big word!!

show-off

Seriously, I don't care if you lost the work that you began when you started writing a book before. Start again. (BUT THIS TIME KEEP A BACK UP DISK!!) Your mind works in amazing ways. I think you have a duty to society to share it. Not just with us. Although I do appreciate knowing that we have you all to ourselves for now.......

You have a truly unique perspective on life, in combination with your intelligence, and sense of humor, you're a triple threat!!!

Thanks for sharing,

heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
(male)

maniasterisk HB User
Re: There's no ubiquitous "answer" to this disorder, yet the head-banging goes on...

It's an all-purpose, all-encompassing word, as well (ubiquitous, I suppose)...

LOL

I'll take your suggestions under advisement (yeah, I'll actually consider acting upon them)...

Still haven't figured out if these postings are therapeutic, or merely a distraction from dealing with distastefull issues in my "real world life"...

Thanks a bunch, Heather !!!

~ M*

Old 03-18-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

Hi ! M* ,

Soooo, you must be British......, i-e ?

I Thought so......,

Gee Gee

Dianne

Old 03-18-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

No, Dianne, I'm not, but I try to speak the language (although slowly ~ yet not nearly as slowly as our elected leader)...

I currently hail from the Land of Fruits, Nuts and Arnold Schwartzenegger...

But thanks, I'll take that as a compliment !!!

~ M*

Old 03-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Let me take a few guesses on why you come here:

First and formost to help.
Second because misery loves company and you're always sure to find company here!
Third, we've been there, and done that, and Thank God we don't all cycle at the same time.
Fourth, it is highly addictive. Even when I've sworn to never come back I can't quite stay away.
And mostly my dear because we love you and we are your friends no matter what your mood, or what you feel like, or whether you're on meds or not, just because you are uniquely (and ubiquitously) you.
Think I'm fairly close???!!

Old 03-18-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

M*

Are you from Austria or California? I always have to think about what you say... I think you meant California, but I'm not sure...

heather

Last edited by polarized13; 03-18-2005 at 08:04 PM.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

Hi ! M*,

I am glad you took this as a compliment. It's surely the way I meant it.

I just thought I could detect a bit of British-ness in the background,
and, your intelligence that goes along with it, in my opinion !

I guess you can tell that I have a friend in the UK. Yep ! My e-friend !
He's a great guy, and I have learned so much from him through the three
or more years we have e-mailed each other.
He calls me ' Di ' ! Hey ! I love being called a Princess, even if he is on the
other side of the world !lol.

As we would say down south, ' You are a Hoot ! ' I think you are a great
asset to this board. I love your humor..........,

Take Care..........., gotta go and see MSU play, Standford !

Dianne

Old 03-19-2005, 04:07 AM   #9
(male)

maniasterisk HB User
Thumbs up Re: There's no ubiquitous "answer" to this disorder, yet the head-banging goes on...

Ruth ~ yes, on all counts. Particularly reason #4. Basic behaviorism states that varying interval - varying ratio reinforcement will cause the most frequent occurrence of anything. That's why gambling is so addictive... That's certainly the sort of reinforcement cycle that's repleat on these boards... You're beyond "close"...

Heather ~ yes, I reside in that big state west of the Rockies...

Dianne ~ WOW, you're a hoops fan !!! As for myself, it's a standing joke in my family that if you added-up the hours of play, basketball exceeded ALL my other sports participation, combined ~ yet I seldom watch it on TV. In fact, about the only sport I can stomach on TV regularly is football - and even then, it's in limited doses (except Sundays, when I've been able to stretch-out for a couple of games)... In almost every case, I'd much rather be playing than watching... When the Kings first came to Sacramento, my son and I were "enrolled" in a volleyball class at the college where they practiced... Our class preceeded their practices, and we "mixed it up" with them a couple of times... That was a number of years ago... They REALLY sucked back then... Now that they've changed players, they're trending back to whence they came...

Thanks to you ALL for the positive feedback !!!

~ M*

Last edited by maniasterisk; 03-19-2005 at 04:15 AM.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:13 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

Hi Ruth,
I hope things are better for you, and I hope you have a good day.

Hi Heather,
I stayed up late last night, and I found a stoopid little poem that I wrote
a loooong time ago, and I thought I would share it with you.
It's on the ' Last page ???? ' Be prepared, it's CRAZY '.
I will talk to you later on...,

Hi Mr. M *,
Well, I am really not an avid ' hoops fan ', just rooting for our team !
WOW ! I couldn't believe it ! They kicked *** !

I never did get into football either. I was a cheerleader, back in the old days,
but didn't know a **** thing about it, and I still don't know much !
I just have no choice sometimes, and have to make that sacrifice. Ya know ?

Okay, tell me this, why do I NOT have that little squiggly horizonal
line on my computer ? You know..........,
I know, I am pit-t-ful, I miss my Tool bar. My spelling leaves a LOT to be
desired, to say the least.

I will talk to you guys later on.......,

Dianne

Old 03-19-2005, 06:56 AM   #11
(male)

maniasterisk HB User
Thumbs up Re: There's no ubiquitous "answer" to this disorder, yet the head-banging goes on...

" D " ~

By squiggly horizontal line...
...... do you mean ~

If so, then ~

Like that ???

Here's more ~ ~ ~

(Don't stop, she panted, tell me how to achieve that ON MY OWN !!!)...

OK ~

Look just below the Esc (escape) button top left. Now go down one row. It's the capitalization of the " ` " button located just left of the numeral 1.

Uh-oh, now you'll be able to do it for yourself, and won't require a partner !!!

What have I done ???

~ M*

Old 03-19-2005, 07:01 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

M*

No wonder you're so sophisticated. Tell me about the weather back home, it's beautiful and warm isn't it?

I'm homesick! (Is the real estate market in Cali EVER going to level out??) I don't care if we have to rent a small apartment, or live with my family, I will find a way to go home again.

I will never take all the things for granted that I have had all my life: warm weather, fresh fruits and vegetables, decent restaurants, and most of all, progressive thinking. Moving to the mid-west is like going back in time!!

No offense intended to any mid-westerners. I've met some really great people here.

Ok, have a nice weekend, everybody. Talk to you later.

heather

Old 03-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #13
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

Last week it was freakish and record-setting...

... 85 degrees last Saturday...

Right now it's blowing rain and a little less than 50 degrees...

... go figure !!! ...

Fresh food (check), nice restaurant selection (check), very nice supermarkets (check), weather that spoils you (check)... No wonder the Real Estate prices are out of sight (check), along with gasoline and most other costs (check)...

Heather ~ I'm actually a " blend " ~ 10w-40w if I haven't showered, and my lineage is from North Carolina (transplanted to near Phila******a) ~ and eventually HERE !!!

I sure miss the street gangs of South Philly !!! But, now I've had my sights adjusted, and with the new guidance systems would probably NOT miss by much...

I do miss the Philly smart-assedness... Californians don't know whether to defecate or go blind when confronted (on the whole) ~ where if you couldn't bash somebody verbally and physically where I came from - your chances of survival went down proportionally...

Sophistication. Actually, on the whole, the East Coast educational systems are considerably more competitive.

Progressive thinking. Nothing annoys me more than some Hummer-driving yuppie-scum riding my bumper ~ yet displaying a " Greenpeace " bumper sticker on his/her own... sounds a bit re-gressive to me...

I cannot stand hypocrisy. It's somewhat inescapable anywhere ~ but there's one helluva-lot of it out here...

Not like I'm complaining...

However - there's generally little sense of inter-dependence and community.

I'd never seen 6 foot privacy fencing until I lived here. As kids back east, we'd play games across the adjoining lawns and fields. Here - you can generally kiss that goodbye...

I can understand a longing for home. Especially considering its amenities...

Best wishes in locating an affordable yet desirable setting !!!

~ M*

Edit ~ Oh my gosh - I guess " Philly's " full name is now a disgrace due to the horrendous performance in the Super Bowl... At least THAT'S why I'm guessing it got asterisked-out !!!

Last edited by maniasterisk; 03-19-2005 at 11:34 AM.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

M*-

Ok, so your sophistication comes from Philly. That's cool. You're right, the east coast is probably a lot more sophisticated than the west coast. Followed shortly by the mid-west. I guess I was just suprised about that because I figured that it's the 21st Century, and it seems like we would all be kind of on the same page by now.

I think at this point, I would pay a million dollars just to have the mild climate again. It has pretty much been at freezing or below the entire five months we have lived here. If you are used to that kind of weather, it's one thing, but when you're not, its a little tough.

And the lifestyle in general is just different. EVERYONE goes to church, and spends a lot of time procreating. We are the only ones on my block with just two kids. It's just a simple life. Which is fine. Steakhouses are great. And letting your kids play hockey on the frozen lakes all winter...I'm in the northern part of the midwest - dontcha know.

I just got to the point where I dont giggle anymore when they talk. And they tell me I talk funny!!

And ya, the Eagles were pretty pathetic in the superbowl, but we are Raiders fans, so we're just gonna keep our mouths shut about that..

Ok, gotta go, we are getting a new fireplace installed....

heather

Ps. It's probably too late, because I know a heck of a lot of people have already read this post, but I think I was kinda manic or something when I wrote this. This sounds very judgemental, and that really isn't who I am. I have just experienced some kind of culture shock moving to a different part of the country. I really hope I didn't offend anyone, I'm sorry. By the way, I have never been to the south, so I suppose that's why I never mentioned the south in my whole theory. (but I like how they talk! )

Last edited by polarized13; 04-09-2005 at 02:47 PM.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

Hi M*

Yes......, ' ~ ' !

YES........, YES......, ' ~ ~ ' !!

Ohhhhhhhhhh YES......, ' ~~~ ' !!!

Ohhhhh I Love this........., ' ~~~~ '

" Thank You sooo much for your help..........,

Ohhh, Noooooo, ' How could you leave me like this ? '

Waiting to hear from U,

~ D

Closed Thread