It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
Has anyone taken meds for just a short while?

My pdoc and therapist have pretty much said that I may only need to be on meds for like a year or so. He has diagnosed me bipolar II and I have been on lamictal for almost a month. They think that because my symptoms started after the birth of my son, that it may not be a life long thing. Has anyone been like successfully weaned off meds for similar reasons? I really don't know what I am talking about (LOL), but I just wanted to know if this has happened for anyone. Thanks! Lori

Old 03-29-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
(male)

maniasterisk HB User
Re: Has anyone taken meds for just a short while?

Hi Lori...

<< Back briefly while crises on hold ~ seems Citibank, Experian and the District Attorney's office didn't mention making a police report... BUT, the Sheriff's said clearly that without one, I'd be liable for all fraudulent charges - which I've backed-up with the Federal Trade Commission and State District Attorney's office... Relationship issues also effectively on hold - and NO government offices contacted (they'd just tell me to watch Everybody Loves Raymond OR to read Women are from Venus and Men are from Mars)... >>>

On to your question... YES !!!

While the trend is to suggest meds-for-life, the main trick is 1) finding what works for YOU, 2) noting if the cocktail stops working its magic, and 3) keeping any side-effects under control...

Therein lies the problem...

In my particular case - I come from a long line of extremely med-resistent individuals (not just the bipolar meds)... If I take ANYTHING for more than 3 days, my body tends to form its own chemical tsunami in retaliation (striving for what's called "homeostasis" by those who label such things)...

So, I have no choice. It's "fits and spurts" of medication - minimally and only on a very short-term as-needed basis.

This is with YEARS of observation by my Pdoc, regular doc and therapist... FINALLY they realized that I AM WHAT I AM (~ said Popeye)...

Spinach doesn't help, either, but it doesn't hurt...

So... they should listen to YOU and hope that YOU log your reactions and sensitivities - MEDS - DIET - SLEEP - EXERCISE - OTHER STRESS...

Eventually, with any luck, you'll find a "course" that works for YOU !!!

~ M* ~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

WOW! Thats almost too much for me to handle! Thanks for sharing though. It sounds like a long hard (well thats not so bad-lol) road. I guess day by day is how it goes. I do journal but other then that I can't remember anything! Thanks, Lori

Old 03-30-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

Hi Lori !!!

YOU said...

" sounds like a long hard (well thats not so bad-lol) road "

Thank goodness YOU said that !!! Without our sense of humor, there aren't enough meds out there !!!

~ M* ~

Old 03-30-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniasterisk
Without our sense of humor, there aren't enough meds out there !!!
~ M* ~
Damned straight my brother! LOL all day long!! Lori

Closed Thread