It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
(male)

VictoryRoad24 HB User
Hello Everyone, I'm New Here

Hello to All of you!
I am new to this message board, and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Greg, and I came to this board because I am diagnosed Scizoaffective, and thought I could get to meet others like me, and lend an ear out to help others, and possibly to better handle my own situation.
I was diagnosed bi-polar eleven years ago, and about three years ago, it was updated to scizoaffective disorder. I have a long family line on both sides of mental illness, yet I feel I am coping pretty good, now that I am on meds for many years.
I live in Phila******a, and go to bi-weekly appointments with a therapist, and monthly visits with a psychiatrist. Currently I am taking six different meds, which may sound extreme, but they are aiding me greatly in recovery.
I feel that with my experience in having a disorder and living with it, I can better help others and myself by finding out what other people are going through.
I am a very nice person, so any of you can feel free to reply to me. I'm looking to make friends that can understand my situation, and to use my knowledge of this debilitating (yet controlable) illness to guide others through their times of woe.
Thank you very much for allowing me to introduce myself. God bless.
-Greg

Last edited by moderator2; 03-31-2005 at 04:47 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

janswife HB User
Re: Hello Everyone, I'm New Here

Nice to meet you!
Im new too. im having similar probs and, would like to exchange thoughts and, experiance. Was diognosed bipolar 1 year ago w/ post tramatic then 1 week ago was told I was miss diogonosed and that Im borderline. My father was scizophrinic and didnt handle it well. Im on lexapro and that helps with the extreme mood swings but, Im scared. I would love any feed back.
Im new But, Wellcome
Cynthia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
(female)

TLP53 HB User

Hey Greg,
Welcome to the boards...you have found a home. I'm a fiftyish mother of twin girls (10) that's Bipolar with a long history of depression, (darn ancestors) Lamictal helps. I'm always lurking, but only speak up if I feel the need.

Terry

Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
(male)

VictoryRoad24 HB User

Hello Cynthia and Terry! Thank you for the warm welcome; its a pleasure meeting you! I know what both of you are going through, believe me. As in your case Cynthia, I have a sister who is borderline, and I've felt scared myself with my issues. I can assure you that with time and treatment, and keeping a positive attitude, you can and will beat this! I know you can do it! And as for you Terry, I have the long family history as well. I was on Lamictal until recently, it helped out well, but since I'm now on Zyprexa, Neurontin, Abilify, Buspar, Attivan and Gabitril, my doctor (who is very nice and caring, and a has a great mind for the profession) is slowly lowering my meds, since I'm in a mini-remission at times. Feel free to respond to this post; I'm always willing to listen, and offer guidance to the best of my ability. Again, it was a pleasure meeting both of you. Take care of yourselves, and God Bless.
-Greg

Old 03-31-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Red face Re: Hello Everyone, I'm New Here

Greg-I am BiPolar and was recently told by my Psych. that I am pyscho-effective. I get very paranoid, I think people are going to break in my house and kill me....have thought that for years until got on Seroquel. I also hear someone whisper my name, very softly, but I hear it off and on. It is a tough diagnosis as it is hard to take that many meds but I do too. What are you taking, if I can ask. Welcome and come here as often as you can. The people are wonderful and very helpful. If I can help you with anything, let me know...Kahlia

Last edited by Kahlia25; 03-31-2005 at 12:06 PM.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Talking Re: Hello Everyone, I'm New Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by janswife
Nice to meet you!
Im new too. im having similar probs and, would like to exchange thoughts and, experiance. Was diognosed bipolar 1 year ago w/ post tramatic then 1 week ago was told I was miss diogonosed and that Im borderline. My father was scizophrinic and didnt handle it well. Im on lexapro and that helps with the extreme mood swings but, Im scared. I would love any feed back.
Im new But, Wellcome
Cynthia
Dear Cynthia-Welcome and ask anything you like-there is always someone here with good feedback....glad you found this place. It has helped me sooo much.....Kahlia

Old 03-31-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
(female)

janswife HB User
Talking Re: Hello Everyone, I'm New Here

Thank you! Greg and, Kahlia
This is so great
I told my therapist about posting and, she thought it was great. It is such a relief to communacate with others and, to get so much out of it.
Thank you all,
Cynthia

Old 04-01-2005, 06:49 AM   #8
(female)

dragon25 HB User

I just wanted to pop in and say welcome. You will find many friends here!

Old 04-01-2005, 07:19 AM   #9
(female)

TLP53 HB User

Hi Cynthia,

I would love to hear about the meds you are on....and how they help you.

I'm going to my PDr. at the end of the month....I know I need an addition to my Lamictal, but haven't a clue about other meds and I don't want to endanger the progress I've made.

By the way, the additional med I need would be for panic/anxiety/worry.

Later,
Terry

Old 04-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #10
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Welcome Greg! I think you will find some good friends and good advice and support here. You have come to the right place. Love, Lori

Old 04-01-2005, 04:18 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

Hi Greg, and ALL........,

I haven't been on this board very long myself, but I have found a lot of
friendly folks that can truly relate to my feelings,
about this illness and meds., and etc. !

I have received a lot of support and this is also a fun place to be.
I am always afraid I will say the wrong thing, or say something the wrong way.
However, I too feel that if I can help anyone, it makes me feel like my time is worthwhile.
My motto is, ' I only speak from my own experiences ', because everyone is
different, and require different meds., and I would never, ever hurt anyone's
feelings intentionally.

I am like the lady who said she is fiftyish, and I have been diagnosed as having Bipolar illness, a loooong time ago.

I know what you mean about having to take a lot of medications. I do also.
It takes a LOT to hold me down.lol. (Lots Of Laughs !)
I am very fortunate, in that I have a total support from my family, but
I don't think anyone truly knows how we feel, until they have been there !

I hope you find this a nice, helpful and fun place to be.

Take Care,

Gee Gee

Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
(female)

janswife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLP53
Hi Cynthia,

I would love to hear about the meds you are on....and how they help you.

I'm going to my PDr. at the end of the month....I know I need an addition to my Lamictal, but haven't a clue about other meds and I don't want to endanger the progress I've made.

By the way, the additional med I need would be for panic/anxiety/worry.

Later,
Terry
Hello Terry, I havent filled the script for neurantin I will be taking yet but, Ill let you know how it goes when I do, its for anxiety, ect. I take Lexapro for being borderline, not a cure but it really helps!
take care, Cynthia

Old 04-01-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janswife
Hello Terry, I havent filled the script for neurantin I will be taking yet but, Ill let you know how it goes when I do, its for anxiety, ect. I take Lexapro for being borderline, not a cure but it really helps!
take care, Cynthia
Hi Cynthia,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.
I just thought it to be really neat that we both take the same meds. !

I have been taking Neurontin for a couple of years. For me it's been a
great med., after being on Lithium and Depakote over a period of years.
It seems to me that it has less side affects.

Also, my BP Doctor put me on Lexapro about a year ago. This has been/is
the ' miracle drug ' for me, and really zaped my panic attacks, and anxiety.
If you would like to discuss this futher, just let me know, okay ?

Take Care,

Gee Gee

Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #14
(female)

janswife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Gee
Hi Cynthia,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.
I just thought it to be really neat that we both take the same meds. !

I have been taking Neurontin for a couple of years. For me it's been a
great med., after being on Lithium and Depakote over a period of years.
It seems to me that it has less side affects.

Also, my BP Doctor put me on Lexapro about a year ago. This has been/is
the ' miracle drug ' for me, and really zaped my panic attacks, and anxiety.
If you would like to discuss this futher, just let me know, okay ?

Take Care,

Gee Gee
Hey Gee Gee
Great to hear from you!
Thank you big time, Alot of other stuff ive taken was nightmare. the lexapro makes it possible to have some friends and, leave my house. I told my therapist I was done with the drugs and all I wanted was therapy, she talked me into trying 1 more. Im so glad I did!
Thank you, Id love to discuss common problems and helps any time
Take Care
Cynthia

Old 04-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #15
(female)

anglrses HB User

Hey, I probably need a new therapist because mine is a little intrusive i dunno...I havent seen her in like three months. So i dont have a therapist right now. This site is my therapy at the moment. I just joined today!! I get a good feeling from the community here. I hope you learn a lot like I hope to as well. My advice is not read the more depressing stuff, it doesn't seem to help me much. I mean it's nice to relate but it's not always the healthiest way. Good luck! p.s enjoy the sunshine if it's out!

Closed Thread