It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

grace19 HB User
Bipolar and the brain

Do they know what part of the brain is affected or might cause bipolar? I was just wondering if half of the brain is less developed than the other, if that had anything to do with bipolar.

Just curious

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Bipolar and the brain

I have heard theroys about such a thing. Let's all donate our brains to science. This could help.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

They can have mine, I don't use it all too much! Lori

Old 04-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Lori, you're such a hoot!

I agree with Mud, though.

Hi, Grace.

I've read some theories, as well, but don't really know any specifics. My apologies. All very interesting.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
(female)

skibunny HB User

Hey Grace19,

According to Mcmanweb.com, "brain imaging studies and studies of post-mortem brains do show smaller volumes in certain parts of the brain and larger volumes in others for bipolar patients, which may affect learning and memory and function." Also, other research I have done states that bipolar is a "chemical imbalance in the brain," meaning that the imbalance of chemicals are what cause poor functioning of the brain which then affects both the mood, as well as the ability to function "normally." Although scientists have not yet pin-pointed the location in the brain that affects bipolar people, in my opinion it seems it must have to do with the part(s) of the brain that controls different functions. Most scientists agree that it is commonly hereditary, but what's confusing is that not everyone gets it. If the gene for bipolar is dominant in an individual, then it is hidden.. until it is set off by a trigger (such as stress.) Anyways that's all I know for now. Hope this helped!

Luv ya,
Mollie

Old 04-08-2005, 07:53 AM   #6
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

Good point, Mollie...

Once "triggered", neural pathways can develop that increase the potential for "episodes" - which is a major argument for intervention (medication)... Thought is a physiologically supported endeavor, dependent upon neuro-transmitters to bridge the gaps between dendrites (minute nerve fiber endings that allow the communications of our central processors)... As we "experience" / "learn" anything ~ physical pathways are formed... Once formed, thinking/mood more easilly "go there"... Did that make sense ???

If not...

It's probably like the sign I had over the inside of the front door, in my old house in Sacramento:

" Of all the things I've lost in life ~ I miss my mind, the most !!! "

Therefore, I cannot donate it for scientific research ...

~ M* ~

Old 04-08-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

i read somewhere that we have 30% more brain cells than a "normal" brain...dont remmeber where i read that....hmm, obviously not memory cells...

Closed Thread