It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

myshelle HB User
anyone on TRILIPTAL??

In midst of rough time. Have been on Lamictal with no relief. Prozac has been increased from 60mg to 80mg and Triliptal

Old 04-03-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: anyone on TRILIPTAL??

Hello and Welcome to the boards.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Hi,

Your message wasn't very clear. I am on Trileptal. But anything that I have experienced wont necessarily have any similarity to what you are experiencing. Everyone is different in how their bodies respond to medications, and how long it takes to feel the effects of the meds. If you let me know exactly what your question is, I will try and help you figure it out. It took me a while to get stabilized after I started taking trileptal. I was rapid-cycling for the first couple of weeks.

good luck,

~~~heather~~~

Old 04-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #4
(female)

pferg101 HB User

I was on Trileptal. I got neasuea, swollen legs, feelings of a washed out feeling! The reason I found out later was my sodium was getting lower & lower! Just keep track of side effects! Other than that I felt it helped!

Good luck on it!

Pferg

Old 04-04-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
(female)

TLP53 HB User

Hi There,

Welcome to the boards, you've found a home.

I agree with Polarized had the same reaction.

I am on Lamictal. It's my miracle drug. I take 75Mgs once a day in the morning. My PDr. added Trileptal for a few months but I was getting to racey and rapid cycling.

Our bodies all react to meds in different ways. Stay in close contact with your PDr. and hopefully you will find the right "cocktail" that works for you.

Don't give up, we're here for you

Here's a {{{{{{{GROUP HUG}}}}}}} from all of us.
Terry

Old 04-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #6

pookeybear HB User

Hi. Trileptal is the "cleaned up" version of Tegretal. (Extra O2 molecule gets rid of the strange blood SE that Tegretal has).
You could have rapid cycled on it because of the Lamictal. When mixing Lamictal and Trileptal: it is suggested to increase the Lamictal dose. Just like mixing Lamictal with Depakote, the Depakote dose has to be decreased. Not sure how; but Lamictal just doesn't play nice with those two drugs. BUT they ARE good combos, your doc just needs to adjust the dose.

I found Trileptal helped with mania some and the Lamictal seemed to help a bit with my rapid cycling and depression.

The SE of the sodium as mentioned by another member is the biggie for some. Other wise, if you don't get the sodium thingie(thingie IS a medical term, LOL) or the nausea or the tiredness... weight neutral =hooray!!
(Ugh what SE we will put up with for some stability )

Good luck

Last edited by pookeybear; 04-15-2005 at 06:48 AM.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
(female)

pferg101 HB User

Yesh, that as me on tilepital! My sodium got very low, sick to my stomach, swelling in my legs, etc.

Thing is doctor didn't believe it was my trilepital until I brought him lab slip! I couldn't know my own symptoms, right! I have had a problem with several of the newer meds!

I feel better right now though!

Pferg

Old 04-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
(female)

halfreality71 HB User

hi-

i was on trileptol once for about 3 weeks

i'm not bipolar though. I am schizophrenic. Back then, the doctors were trying to rule out bipolar disorder in me, so they put me on trileptol. It had noll effect on me, of coarse, since im not bipolar, but the good thing was, it didn't have any bad effects.

..from what i've heard and experienced from it, it doesn't cause any weight gain, and i dont remember having any other side effects from it.

good luck

-becka

Old 04-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
(female)

Soniarose59 HB User

I am on Trileptal and in December Lithium was added. Doing very well with the two. Good luck to you!

Old 04-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #10
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Question Re: anyone on TRILIPTAL??

I have been on Trileptal and my sodium went WAY low.....had to stop taking it. I was doing very well on it mood wise but was soooo tired from the low sodium. Are you on anyother meds???....Kahlia

Old 04-27-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
(female)

singsong HB User

Trileptal has been my miracle drug! I have tried them all and yes, this drug is the new and greatly improved version of parent drug, Tegretol. Its very expensive and so effective for me. Novartis is the manufacturer and I am so happy to have found the #1 drug for me. Yes, low sodium is a problem...I eat lots of hard, too salty pretzels as per my doctor and I feel better. Other drugs have been added here and there, but this is my main anti-Bipolar drug and for me, its non-negotiable!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:10 AM   #12
(female)

TENGURL HB User
Question about Triliptal.

I started Triliptal 11/07/06. I have never taken a medication like this before. I had a Grand-mal seizure on 10/9/06 first time in my life at 34 ;I was shocked!! Then I had an EEG and the doctor tells me that I have a seizure disorder and to take Triliptal. Well, long story short, I have had no side effects (yet) and I am at the highest dose that the doctor wanted to build me up to. 1200mg per day, and I am still having seizures, actually they have slowed but none the less still coming. I have read several message boards and mostly I see that people take it for bi-polar disorder. I cannot drive until I am seizure free for 6 months. Does anyone know why the Triliptal isn't working because my doctor is blowing me off telling me to wait, I am a mother of 4 and married to an active duty military member. I can't sit and wait for something to MAYBE work later!!! My husband leaves for long periods of time and I have to take kids to school and food shopping and live where there is no family or help!!! Any suggestions that anyone could offer would be appreciated.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User
Re: Question about Triliptal.

My son was up to 1800 mg of Trileptal for bipolar. He tolerated it very well (no side effects), but it was not effective for his bipolar. I've heard good things about it as an anti-seizure med. Any reason why your doctor doesn't want to go higher in the dosage? My son was on the 1800 mg. of Tripleptal PLUS several other meds.

Good luck,

Hope

Old 12-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #14
(female)

pom HB User

HI...just wondering as I have seen two posts in here on the subject...when my daughter first started her trileptal a couple of years ago, she too was on the very lowest edge of "normal" with her sodium range. She had pitting edema in her legs that the docs thought was due to something else...actually she was tested for cushings because of a bunch of other stuff. But....my question....will low sodium actually cause this swelling stuff? I thought a person would have to have high sodium, which would seem to make you retain fluid? This is interesting info...never seen reference to the swelling stuff being related to the trileptal before.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:56 AM   #15
(female)

shelliek HB User

I've been on triliptal for asbout 4 or 5 years. I was taking 1200mg but have been dropped down to 600mg. I also take lamictol, abilify and cytomel. I have had no problems with either the triliptal or abilify, ever.

Closed Thread