It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
(male)

maniasterisk HB User
(Polls?) Have any of YOU been OK'd to limit your meds "on your own" by your Pdoc or ?

I'm gonna be gone for a few days, and thought I'd get this off the ground, first...

Lately, they'd re-routed all postings to say something about "polls" - yet I don't see any place to initiate one...

Anyhoo...

I am very curious to know IF I'm the only med-resistent person out there who has been formally "authorized" to self-limit and manage my miniscule medication flurries...

Any takers (so to speak) ???

I'll be offline until probably Thursday.

~ M* ~

Last edited by maniasterisk; 04-05-2005 at 07:17 AM.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User
Re: (Polls?) Have any of YOU been OK'd to limit your meds "on your own" by your Pdoc or ?

my doc(s) hasn't "authorized" me to manage my own meds but I do it anyway!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

dragon25 HB User
Re: (Polls?) Have any of YOU been OK'd to limit your meds "on your own" by your Pdoc or ?

I am not med resistant and my meds work pretty well for me so I don't like to mess with them.

But in the past I have 'weened' my self off of some meds.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Hi M*~

When I first started seroquel, my doctor told me to take anywhere from 25mgs.to 200mgs. depending on what I needed in order to feel relaxed and sleep well. I think in my case, he was using it as a sedative/sleep aid, even though I know it falls into the category of mood stabilizer. He told me I would need different amounts on different days depending on how I felt. Also, my new doctor told me to do the same with my triliptel. So, I guess it isn't that uncommon.

I hope you are doing ok with all your 'stuff'. Take care!!

(hi reesie!!)

~~heather~~

Old 04-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
(female)

TLP53 HB User

Hey M* good question,

My PDr. told me to nudge my meds in either direction until I found the right "blend" for me. If I do boop my meds in either direction I do it slowly.

In reference to resistance to meds, I too have a hard time. It seems ANY KIND of med works rather well for me in the beginning but after a few months they stop working...

My Oncologist says this is because we have such efficient livers...apparently our livers start to recognize the unwanted toxins (Our Meds) and creates an enzyme to neutralize them, hence they stop working...

Who knows if he's got the answer, I'm not a chemist or biologist.
Anyway, I've not been feeling too well...darn arthritis....I took a Darvocet to ease the pain and it always screws up my depression....It takes me a couple days to get back on track.

{{{Hugs to All}}}
Terry

Old 04-05-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

My Dr. told me that he wanted to be my "coach" and help me make decisions on wihch medications I take.

HOWEVER -

I know a lot about different medications and he knows this. We've had conversations about how I can't take medicines in the class with Wellbutrin and Cymbalta (meds classified as "norephinephrine/dopamine reuptake inhibitors") because they make my anxiety alot worse, and pretty much drive me crazy with restlessness, panic attacks, and racing thoughts.

I have gone from 20mgs of Paxil to 40, 60, then to 80mgs (for OCD and depression, but it only works on my OCD). Then I was put on Lamictal because I was diagnosed with BPII but with agitated, restless, anxious episodes as opposed to overly manic, "happier" episodes, which has helped a lot for my depression, but which has also made me a bit manic - not sleeping, hyper, restless. It might be because of how much Paxil I'm on. I've got my OCD under control a bit more, so my Dr told me I could try decreasing my Paxil to 60mgs, or even 40mgs (as long as I taper from 80 to 60 to 40mgs). He said it was up to me, and if I did decrease my Paxil and my OCD came back, I could always just increase back up to 80mgs again.

I really like this because I think it can help me "practice" getting over my OCD. Now that I've been on meds I can identify whats me and whats the OCD, and am better at noticing triggers or when I'm having a shift in mood.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Good question. I haven't been seeing a pdoc or been on meds long enough to even consider this. When I was on anti-ds, they didnt like the fact I was changing dosages on my own. Hope you're back soon! Love, Lori

Old 04-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I'm another "unauthorized" dabbler in my meds.
I've gone from a lifetime of 1200 mg of lithium per day to 900 mg/day.
A few more incidents of feelings outside "the norm" but no minor/major moodswings.
(And I've never told my doctor!)
Tsk Tsk on ol' Ruth!!!

Old 04-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
(female)

pferg101 HB User

I had in the past had a doctor that tusted me and let me change mine a little here and there! The doc I have now, says"Who is the doctor here." The next time he says it, I am going to tell him I have an almost 18 year old son with bipolar & probably have more experience then him! lol

pferg

Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 AM   #10

PollyPrissyPants HB User

hi...i am pretty much med resistant myself.....either they have no effect on me or the side effects are so bad that any benefit i might experience is masked by the intolerable side effects...anyway, my doc put me on risperdal a few months back which seemed to work ok....just made me sleepy, hungry and stopped my periods ( i know, prob. too much info...lol)...i was prescribed a fairly low dose to keep things fairly stable day to day but was told to take an extra pill when i felt more aggitated than usual....in essence, to augment my dose on an as needed basis....i have since stopped taking the risperdal (havent told doc yet, shame on me)....my divorce is over which alleviated many triggers and i'm in a hormonal replacement pharmaceutical study both of which are helpful....i'm feeling more stable than i have in years....i'm even beginning to wonder if my bipolar was exacerbated by stress and hormonal imbalances and now that they are in check maybe my bipolar will be minor symptoms....it really didnt go full force til my divorce got underway.....i do still have my risperdal at hand though if i feel myself sprialing again....my boyfriend is also aware of all this and we have agreed that if he notices any unusual behavior from me that he will bring it to my attention.....i just got so tired of being med dependant...and i think if i'm just going to have a few minor episodes a year, i'd rather just gut them out than to poison my liver daily....and i strongly believe the hormonal changes from perimenopause were hugely affecting my mental health...nothing like being your own guinea pig...lolololol.....and please, i'm not suggesting anyone follow the plan i have devised for myself....i just know myself and what i can and cant tolerate....i just have this need to reacquaint myself with my "normal" unmedicated brain....it's been so long i'm not sure whats me anymore....gotta say though, so far i'm liking what i'm seeing....
enough enough, have a great day all....
PPP~~~

Old 04-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #11
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

Thanks to all who posted (WOW !!!) !!!

I couldn't begin to make reasonable responses to each of you...

My trip got cut a bit short due to weather (but that's OK)...

I expended MOST of my residual energies responding to " inneedofhelp " regarding his father and credit "issues"...

IF you want to understand MY background "issues" a bit more, it might be worth viewing...

Meanwhile, the wealth of responses HERE is VERY helpful in adding its own perspective...

Thanks, again !!!

~ M* ~

Old 04-07-2005, 04:27 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

Yes, the dr's have let the wife tinker with her meds. However, she is a bit to complyant. She will take something even though she can not walk or go to the bathroom on her own. I belive that with in limits one SHOULD vary some of the meds. I may be wrong?
I very much agree that it should be done a little at a time. Going cold turkey off of some of these could kill you.

Mudhound

Old 04-07-2005, 04:45 PM   #13
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

While in Reno, I got accosted by Sam Adams and Jack Daniels...

Still aching...

This morning - Discovery Channel had a fabulous program about ECT. It was copywritten 2001, but gave a wonderful balance and overview. The discussion touched on medications and brain function, as well... I'd highly recommend it (NOT the ECT) !!!

Mud ~ what you said is the absolute truth. All debate aside, IF your body and mind are used to having certain medication "props" ~ to suddenly withdraw cold turkey is insane (and a diagnosis is NO excuse for that kind of insanity) !!!

Rally ON !!!

~ M* ~

PS ~ If anybody needs me, I'll be out back behind the wood pile, waiting for Heather and anybody else who wants to have a good olde therapeutic scream !!! I think the avalanche controls have lifted, so let's have at it !!!

Last edited by moderator2; 04-08-2005 at 05:26 AM.

Closed Thread