It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
(male)

cubsfan76 HB User
Surprise: You're Bipolar

I got a letter yesterday from my state's department of financial and professional regulation regarding my licensure for social work.

It said that I'm under a disciplinary investigation and that there is an "informal conference" on the matter of the "allegations". There are two allegations and one of them is, as predicted, a 1994 criminal conviction (I was 18) and the other is quoted as "respondent suffer's from Type II Bipolar disorder".

This was the first i've ever heard of this diagnosis. I've seen two psychologists in my entire life and one was after my delinquency as a teen. The episode was for depression and couples counseling. I presume that the diagnosis came from one of these sources.

There are two issues apparent to me at this point- one is that of a professional stance and the other is emotional. I do not necessarily disagree with the diagnosis but i'm in shock for having not been told- and to know that this diangosis will be used to scrutinize my professionalism.

Does anyone else here have Bipolar II?

K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Surprise: You're Bipolar

Welcome to the board. My wife has BP. I do not but i do live with her and love her greatly.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

Soniarose59 HB User

Cubsfan,
I am BP II and have been diagnosed for 10 yrs. When the Dr sent in your claim for a visit, he must have used the BP diagnosis from the DSM IV. It is crappy that you were not told. You could request copies of that medical record. Your job cannot discriminate against you for being BP. That is covered in the ***. If you are given a hard time, I would contact the EEOC. Like the labor board. Or if need be, an attorney.
Wishing you the best....

Old 04-07-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
(female)

dragon25 HB User

I am bipolar II, been diagnosed for 2 years, and sorry, no advice on your situation.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User

In the world of bipolarism, bipolar II is fairly common. But your situation sounds like it could be a mistake since you were never given a diagnosis to your face and you can't be certain that you 2 visits to pdocs in the past even had anything to do with the entity that sent you that letter. Do you suffer from any of the symptoms of bipolar. ***** has a good laundry list of them as well as a quiz I believe. Keep us posted this is interesting and we'd like to see to it that you know enough to ensure you are treated fairly.

-reesie

Old 04-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

The *** has some great information about discrimination. My husband is BP and he recently came out at work about it. The information gave him some ammo for how to approach his situation. He has been written up so many times, and now they seem to be a little more understanding. He is even getting a lunch break so that is a big help to him.
Do you think you are BP? At any rate I would probably ask to get the diagnosis confirmed. Especially if they are going to try and hold it over your head. I just can't believe they are even bringing that up as an issue. And how did they get your medical records that you haven't even seen?
I hope everything works out well for you. Whether you are BP or not this is a great place for support.
Nodi

Old 04-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

Labels and their consequences...

Don't quote me here, but IS a mere "psychologist" qualified to even make a preliminary (and unsubstantiated) diagnosis WITHOUT the oversight of a Psychiatrist ??? They certainly cannot prescribe anything (except another costly visit)... Even so, I tend to like them MORE than Pdocs...

Seems a bit iffy, to me (and quite challengable, if you so desire)...

Good luck with whatever course you choose...

And, let's hope the Cubbies finally get some of what Boston got last year ...

~ M* ~

Old 04-07-2005, 11:19 AM   #8
(male)

cubsfan76 HB User

They can't fire me from my job but this is an issue of licensure and I think that the rules are a bit different. Doctors and lawyers who become licensed have to pass similar scrutiny with moral and ethical standards. Not sure where mental status fits into that but, I can assure them, it's not adversely affecting my job performance.

I came here to discuss Type II Bipolar, though. I've known that "something is up with me" for sometime time now and I think that my symptoms often come in under the radar because they are relatively easy to live with. I've done some reading on the matter and apparently the standard is people get diagnosed in their late 20's (i'm 29) because it's not as pervasive as Type I bipolar or Unipolar.

I also work in social work and know the basics of mental health.

What i've resolved to do for myself is to see a pscyhologist about it all and hash out both my reaction to discovering the diagnosis and I want to have straight talk about some of my symptoms.

I've been creating a running list where I use my own words to describe my symptoms and want to also create a timeline of the times I remember feeling depressed and "normal". Also want to get into the habit of rating each day on a scale of 1-10 so it'll be easier to monitor. I'm treating myself as though i'm one of my clients- haha.

The funny thing is that i had been feeling depressed lately- just before that letter came and was crafting that plan to document my symtoms that mentioned above. I'm disturbed by the fact it's been brought up in my licensure application but glad, in a way, that this was the "straw that broke the camel's back"- i'm going to see someone again (for the third time in my life).

The last psychologist I saw was when I was feeling depressed and thought that it was a result of my relationship being on the rock. I my therapist for that and couples counseling for about 4 months. However, in retorspect, I think my relationship was in trouble because of my depression/moods not the other way around.

I'm going to start another post and ask two questions to the group..

K

Last edited by cubsfan76; 04-07-2005 at 11:22 AM.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #9
(female)

jen1008 HB User

I was just diagnosed as BP II about 6 months ago. After years of struggling with my moods, I was glad to finally have "a name to go with the face." It took me a while to realize it was actually a problem because my moods are usually mixed and/or rapid cycles. I just thought I was crazy, or had permanent PMS
But now with meds and therapy everything is starting to level out, and its hard for me to think that I was living in a world I didn't have to.

Regarding being diagnosed without being told; I have a similar story. When I was in the military I was sent to a psych because of my eating disorder. After I had one session with this so called doc I was put in for separation.(involuntarily being kicked out) I thought it was for the eating disorder, but later found out that the psych diagnosed me as having Borderline Personality Disorder with suicidal tendencies. I dont know where the heck that came from, and how they can diagnose someone with something like that without telling them. Go figure though, thats just the military.(I'm a little bitter about many things the military, namely the Army, does.)

I think going to see a psych and talking about your current issues and moods might help with the diagnoses. If it turns out you are bipolar, you can get the meds and help you need. Good luck and keep us posted.
~Jen

Closed Thread