It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User
Sad about Son and the past

Hello everyone, I have found these boards to be so absolutely a God send. Most of my life I have struggled with depression and anxiety. Its very difficult, as many of you know. Well, I am in between stopping a medication to get on a different medication. My only struggles have been occasional anxiety. This is my dilemma. I am a non custodial parent. I have never been a bad parent, if anything I have struggled with trying to cope with depression to the point where it has been debilatating. When I became a non custodial parent I was very lost. But somehow I picked up the peices and moved on to try and make my life as livable and successful as possible. Well, for several years I went to college and even graduated from a college program. As life has gone on, my youngest teenage son continues to be angry about me "not being good enough" not giving hime enough love, not giving him more of myself. Well, I try to tell him how very much I love him. This is never good enough. I spend time with him, he just acts like I can never be a good enough mother for him. Some days are better than others, but for the most part I cant seem to meet up to his expectations no matter what I do. Well, as time has gone on, I have thought and seen signs of Bipolar Depression. He seems to be a rapid cycler. He is on medication, but taking Prozac--and this does not seem to be helpful for him. His father, knows he is struggling emotionally but will not get him in to the doctor. What can I do, I am so sad and blame myself for all my son says. I know this cant be healthy. Does anyone have any suggestions at all. Please share your thoughts, I want to understand how I can help my son.
Truly, Woodfaery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User
Re: Sad about Son and the past

Does anyone have any helpful ideas?
Woodfaery

Old 04-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
(female)

jen1008 HB User
Re: Sad about Son and the past

Woodfaery,

I wish I had better advice, but as I am not a parent I have not yet had to deal with issues like this. But, I can remember when I was growing up I lived with two parents who knew I was having emotional/mental difficulties but refused to acknowledge them or get me help. Does your son realize that he has a problem? and does he realize that the medication he is taking is not working for him? If he does then maybe you and your son could talk to his father together and let him know how you both feel about the situation. If your son says you were not the kind of mother he needed, now is the time to prove him wrong by doing everything you can to get him the help he needs. I know that if I had a trusted adult (especially a parent) who understood what I was going through or at least recognized it, I would have been truly greatful, and it would not have taken me so long with so many bad experiences to be where I am at today. Good luck with everything. I wish I could have been more help.
~Jen

Closed Thread