It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
(male)

cubsfan76 HB User
Insight to mixed states and bipolar depression

I was wondering if people could give me some insight as to what they experience when they're in a mixed state or rapidly cylcing.

Also, do you all think that bipolar depression is unique from other forms of depression? Is that fleeting experience of detachment something other people experienc too? I hate thinking, sometimes, that i'm the only one to have felt it.

For those who know of my initial post, i've made some contacts and will set something up with a psychologist this month. In a way, I think getting that letter from the regulatory board was just the motivation I needed to, shall we say, "tie up some loose ends"

Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Insight to mixed states and bipolar depression

The wife has hit a few mixed states. Mostly highs and lows.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 03:08 AM   #3
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

I wish I could help. I am fairly new to the bipolar (II) game. My last pdoc visit, he told me I was so irritable because I was going through a mixed state of depression and mania. I have no idea about cycling or episodes or any of that. I just don't understand. Like I just know I have been being a witch half the day, throw in some crying and ok-ness and apparently thats why. Can't wait til you can get in for help. Just try and hang on. Love, Lori

Old 04-10-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User

Hi Cubsfan

Hope you're getting some help now. Not sure if this will help you, but my understanding of a mixed episode is that you experience both depressive and manic symptoms at the same time - ie doom and gloom, suicidal and negative thoughts, self-hate etc with high energy, restlessness, need to talk constantly and irritability - that's not definitive because obviously everyone's symptoms are different but that's my understanding of the basics - it's the most dangerous state to be in because you are so much more likely to do something destructive because of the mania.

Rapid cycling, according to the docs, is 4 cycles in a year - you can't have more than that. I personally think that this is rubbish as I rapid cycle on a daily basis when things are really bad, and so did a lot of people I met in hospital - I could go from high to suicidal and back to high again in the space of 12 hours. I've also been told that rapid cycling is more common in younger people.

Hope that helps a bit and that you're keeping well

All the best

Picali x

Old 04-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Red face Re: Insight to mixed states and bipolar depression

Hello-Cubsfan-I think that rapid cycling is just what Picali described...depression and then Mania. It can make you feel pretty zany at times. I have my highs and then really bad lows. This month has been espescially hard for me due to added stressors. It is hard at times to figure out what you are doing and what meds are the right ones. They have to be changed atimes to accomadate what is goin g on at the time....I hope you get the help you need.......Kahlia

Old 04-12-2005, 06:28 AM   #6
(female)

TLP53 HB User

Hey there,

Picali couldn't have described it better....hit the nail on the head!

Terry

Closed Thread