It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Angry What to do when your DR. won't listen????

I am going thyrough a CRISIS...My husband was recently diagnosed with an anurysm....my Dr. has me on 25mgs of seroquel and Neurontin. I am about ready to pull out my hairs one by one. I am a nervous wreck and she is wanting me to go OFF my seroquel because I am having side effects, like moving my mouth a lot. I agree that I should go off it but she won't give me anything for my nerves. They are fried......I also got 6 voice mail messages from my alcoholic brother who told me I was "lying" about my husband??? NUTS...At least I KNOW I have a problem. I changed my telephone number and that is that. I do not need any added drama. They are awaiting surgery-a 15 hour one on my husband. I think the DR. should listen to me as They are MY nerves and I sit and shake. I am going to call her Moday and tell her if she won't listen, I want another Dr. I cannot get through all this stress-with a dysfunctional, non-supportive family. Being BiPolar is hard enough but when the stress hits, it is really rough.....any suggestions? I had some Visteril in the house and I took one yesterday, It helped me a little. I need my Dr. to help me......Kahlia

Old 04-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User
Re: What to do when your DR. won't listen????

Hi Kahlia,

I wish I could help you, but I just posted my own vent thread about my frustrations that are very similar. It's a shame that it's so difficult to receive adequate health care, especially with certain kinds of insurance, and in certain areas of the country. Maybe its an option for you to check into finding a new doctor, I know that can take time, and you need help NOW. Believe me, I'm in the same boat.

If you can find some ways to cope with your symptoms, like maybe meditation, or relaxation exercises, soft music, or massage, it might be helpfull.

Good luck, hang in there!!

~~heather~~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

FIND A NEW DR.! When I got out of the hospital after being diagnosed bipolar, they sent me for a follow up appt with the same hospital, new pdoc. The guy told me he just met me and didn't know what was wrong with me and maybe I had ADD. I gunned it out of that parking lot and never looked back. I think the best thing for you to do is change. You have enough other crap going on, you need help NOW from someone you can depend on. Good luck! Love, Lori

Old 04-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

Hi ! Kahlia,

I know what you mean too. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

HERE'S WHAT I THINK YOU SHOULD DO .....,
' DO what Heather said ', then, ' DO what Lori said ", and if this doesn't work,
Grab the Doctor by the throat, pull her up to your level,
and CHOAK THE LIVIN **** OUT OF HER !

TELL THE DOCTOR WHAT " YOU " WANT, AND WHAT " YOU NEED " ASAP !
" SPEAK YOUR MIND, BUT MIND YOUR SPEACH ", was my Mom's Motto !

This is NOT the time for your Doctor NOT help YOU...........,
" WHAT IS SHE THINKIN........ ? "

And, as my friend says, ' Just have a big ol' PUBLIC BREAKDOWN ! '
But this may not be the time for this one, they may come after you with a
jacket.
Please know that I am truly trying to help, Okay ?

WHEW, best of luck in whatever you do.
Sorry Guys, I just got a bit steamed..............., to say the least.

Take Care, and I hope your husband does good. Keep us posted....,
GG

Old 04-10-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User

Well, I ended up in the ER last night.....my DR. was not even called. The HEAD of the ER took one look at me and listended to me and told me that HE was going to put me on Ativan O.5 mgs til I get in to see my Dr. which he miraculously got an appt. on Wed instead of April 27th. The Ativan is helping a great deal. I agree , I am going to my Dr....and tell her that (the ativan is working-she is big on NOT giving Benzo's as they are addictive. I can always wean off later. I need help now. I also have a Crazy dysfunctional family who left me 6 messages on my voice mail...none too pretty. I have had to get my number changed. I cannot take anymore. I am NOT suicidal, I am just angry that at this point in my life , my Psych. cannot see that I need something to calm me down. The ER DR. did in 10 minutes, yes, I was actually out of the ER in 20 minutes -flat. I am not putting up with her excuses-her husband is not having a 15 hour neurosurgery.....she will either get it or I am telling her I want a NEW DR. I have enough Ativan until I can find one. If it works , why fix it?????? She has told me that she has seen me "evolve" and grow. That is great but I am in a very stressful situaiton right now without support. My husband's Dr. immediately gave him Vistaril for his nerves. Your nerves can make you feel as though you are coming unglued. I could not even function yesterday and walked out of the ER like a new person. I do not have a problem telling my Dr. what I think, need or want. I just need a little bit of understanding and if she cannot get it, I will find someone who will. Thanks for all you support......the surgery is scheduled for the last week of April......my husband is doing pretty good-had to stop smoking.....I am glad. He needed to.......Kahlia

Old 04-10-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Hi Kahlia,

I'm so glad you found a way to get the help you needed. Maybe that's what I will end up doing instead of waiting 6 weeks for relief from my pain. I'm not sure it would be very easy to get something at the hospital for me either. They are very conservative about handing out narcotics and opiates around here. I don't want to get hooked on anything either, but there comes a point where you are completely non-functioning, and you have to take that chance.

As for your family situation, that is a whole other story. It's really sad that your family isn't there to support you in this difficult time, instead of adding to your stress with their dysfuntional antics. I feel for you. I hope everything goes smoothly with your husband's surgery, and you all get through this difficult time without any more problems.

Take care, and god bless

~~heather~~

Closed Thread