It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

jessica129 HB User
Confused..severe mood swings

I should begin by stating that i've been suffering from PTSD for the past year (some of the symptoms mimic bipolar).

Recently i've been having severe mood swings. They'll literally change in minutes. I'll go from being on top of the world to severe depression. Sometimes it'll go on like this for days and then completely disapear only to come back a few weeks later. As I have the 'good' periods, I feel more confident, energetic, happy, interested in everything. On the low periods, I have no energy, i feel detached..numb, self-hatred.

I have always been depressed for as long as I can remember. Is it possible I'm just depressed with moments where it lifts or would that be considered bipolar? Do "normal" people have these mood swings on a daily basis? These emotional rollercoasters only started to appear in the last year since i was diagnosed with ptsd.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
(female)

loziram HB User
Re: Confused..severe mood swings

Well sounds as if your moods change constantly. I to experience mood changes through the day, but I think they are due to stress. I have so much going on that I just seem to lose it. What were you feeling when you got dx. with PTSD? Have you thought about going to your MD. to see if he can treat you? Have you noticed any patterns that seem to trigger your moods or are they just sudden?

Last edited by loziram; 04-13-2005 at 07:45 PM. Reason: more information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

jessica129 HB User

I was getting flashbacks, mood swings, depression, irritability, intense anger spells, etc. Now i pretty much just get the mood swings. I'm hesitant to go back to the doctor because they've misdiagnosed me many times. Heck, i don't even know if this ptsd diagnoses is even accurate. I'm just worried because i've never been on such an emotional rollercoaster before.

Last edited by jessica129; 04-13-2005 at 07:43 PM.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

loziram HB User

The reason I asked was because my dad seemed to experiece sxs. of PTSD. He would have flashbacks and mood swings, but he was never dx. and so it just seemed to go away. Im not sure if it was just certain events that were happening at the time that were causing this. It's terrible to be misdiagnosed. I am currently taking a psych class and we have discussed this. How about depression. You said that your moods change constantly. Has any one else noticed changes in your behavior or moods?

Old 04-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
(female)

jessica129 HB User

No, no one notices the changes in my mood. I can be one way on the inside but I won't show it on the outside. I don't get out of control. I guess my main concern is that when I get really depressed, I get these urges to..well...hurt myself (not to the point of suicide) because I get so angry and I know that can't be healthy and i'm concerned about it.

But yeah, i've seen so many therapists and i've been diagnosed with just about every disorder under the sun and I, in my heart, know i'm not that bad off.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:38 AM   #6
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Can you get a recommendation from a legitimate (thats not the word I was looking for, please forgive me) source? I was dxd with postpartum depression, then I ended up in hospital bipolar. Then the follow dr tells me to check out ADD maybe I have that. Sorry I ramble. Ok, so then I am put in touch with a woman who is in charge of the postpartum thing in my state and SHE recommends a therapist and pdoc who have been so terrific for me. Yes, they agree bipolar. Lately I too have been experiencing the anger to the point that I feel like punching someone out.

Not sure if you have a similar type thing, a group you can get in touch with. I learned of mine through a message board myself and I am soooo happy I did But if you have the resources, as much of a pain as it is, try and use them. It so worked for me.

As far as diagnosis, only the dr can help you I would think, if only you can find one worth talking too. Good luck and keep us posted. (not sure if this has anything to do with what you were talking about though-lol) Love, Lori

Old 04-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Hi Jessica,

I suffer from bipolar and ptsd. My understanding is that ptsd has different symtoms like flashbacks, night-terrors and extreme anxiety including panic attacks. Also, of course a history of traumatic experiences. I haven't really dealt with the ptsd since I was diagnosed last year, I was diagnosed with bipolar at the same time. I was put on meds that helped me cope with the symtoms of both.

Some doctors will tell you that you should go into therapy, and try desensitizing techniques to help you put the tramas behind you. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Anyway, if you want to talk more about it, I'm around. I've checked out the ptsd board, but I don't really relate to any of the people there. They are a whole different kind of group, mostly like gulf-war syndrome, and stuff. What's your trauma, if you don't mind me asking.

~~heather~~

Closed Thread