It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

Location: Stratford, England (Yep, where Shakespeare was born)
Acid_fairy HB User
Question Think I may be bipolar

Hey, I'm new here. Quick intro - I'm Nicola, I'm 17, I live in England and I study Drama, Eng Lit, Law and Psychology.

Now for the purpose of my post:
I really feel I am bipolar. For as long as I can remember, I have had inexplicable mood swings that occur for no apparent reason. Majority of the time, I act like I am on a permanent high - I talk fast and a LOT, can start laughing uncontrollably, have little or no inhibitions, become overly-confident, and generally become 'up myself'.
However, sometimes (like now), I become mildly depressed. And when I'm like this, I can cry for no reason, I don't feel like doing anything, don't want to be around anybody, and I have a tendancy to cut; I think to transfer some emotional pain into physical pain that I can control.
Also, I am nearly always irritable and angry, except when on a major 'high'.
I have tried talking to my mom, but I think because I'm 17 she feels it is just 'teenage angst'. Also, she doesn't know I cut.

I was just wondering what people here thought; am I bipolar or just a typical teenager? And also, if something is wrong with me, what should I do about it?

Old 04-17-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
Re: Think I may be bipolar

Hi and welcome Nicola. I honestly think you need a drs opinion. Maybe you should open up to your mom, explain about the cutting and let her know how scared, worried, upset etc. that you are and maybe you would be interested in talking to someone professional. I had the same kind of brush off mom and it really did not do me one bit of good in my future. Plus, if you are even feeling strange enough to be feeling strange, you should probably talk to someone anyhow. Good luck and please stop cutting, and let us know what happens. Love, Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User
Re: Think I may be bipolar

Hi Nicola

I agree with Lori, you need to see a doctor - whatever the problem is I don't think it's teenage angst (whatever that's supposed to be!) - you need to get as much help as you can. Let us know how you get on

Picali xx

Old 04-19-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Exclamation Re: Think I may be bipolar

Hello, Nicola-I also agree that you need to talk with your Mom about the cutting...that is NOT a teenage angst. That is hurtful and destructive. Maybe after she learns this, she will see things in a different light. I think you need to see a Dr. as you have a lot of symptoms of BiPolar disorder....I hope you find out and stop hurting yourself......Kahlia

Closed Thread