It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
(male)

ricrokrol HB User
Neurotin

Does anyone in here take NEUROTIN for Bipolar or any chronic pain conditions? If so can you tell me if it helps you sleep ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 04:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Neurotin

I do recall the wife taking this. Her pain during her normal female cycle was much less. However, the sleep issue i can not recall.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
(male)

jpenn13 HB User

i used to take neurontin,until i read the following artical. PHARMACEUTICAL GIANT AGREES TO HISTORIC SETTLEMENT
Global Settlement Reached Related to Illegal Off-Label Marketing Tactics

Attorney General Eliot Spitzer today announced a series of agreements with a leading pharmaceutical company to resolve allegations of illegal and deceptive promotions of one of its blockbuster drugs.

Warner-Lambert, a subsidiary of Pfizer, Inc. - the world's largest pharmaceutical company - entered into the unprecedented global settlement worth $430 million with federal and state agencies.

Specifically, Warner-Lambert today resolved investigations by Spitzer's Medicaid Fraud Control Unit and the National Association of Medicaid Fraud Control Units and will pay $152 million in damages and penalties to the various states' Medicaid programs. New York State's portion of this settlement, $12.8 million, amounts to almost ten percent of all proceeds from the national medicaid case.

In a related matter, the consumer fraud offices of all 50 states - led by New York, Vermont, Oregon, Texas, Florida and Ohio - resolved allegations against Warner-Lambert's Parke Davis division and will receive $38 million for educational programs, advertising campaigns, and to cover their costs of the investigation.

The states' settlements were reached in conjunction with a federal settlement negotiated by the United States Attorney's Office in Boston, in which Warner-Lambert pled guilty to violating the Food, Drug and Cosmetics Act and paid a fine of $240 million.

"It is critically important that physicians and their patients receive fair, balanced and accurate information about prescription drugs and the conditions these medications are approved to treat," Spitzer said. "Marketing strategies that deceptively and illegally promote drugs for unapproved purposes in order to increase a pharmaceutical company's bottom line will be aggressively investigated."

This case marks the first time that consumer protection staff of the offices of the attorneys general and the National Association of Medicaid Fraud Control Units jointly negotiated a case. The investigations revealed that Warner-Lambert engaged in numerous illegal and deceptive business practices to convince physicians to prescribe its blockbuster epilepsy drug, Neurontin, to treat ailments for which the drug was not approved.

Investigators focused on Warner-Lambert's efforts to promote Neurontin for other "off-label" indications such as bipolar disorder, attention deficit disorder, restless leg syndrome, pain after a herpes outbreak, and migraines. It is illegal for pharmaceutical manufacturers to promote the off-label use of their drugs, although doctors are permitted to prescribe for such uses.

The investigation revealed that Warner-Lambert engaged in promotion of Neurontin for off-label indications for which there is little or no scientific evidence of efficacy. It is estimated that Neurontin sales for 2003 reached $2.7 billion; however, approximately 90 percent of the drug's prescriptions were for off-label purposes.

Among the methods used by Warner-Lambert to promote Neurontin were:

Continuing medical education classes that lacked fair balance, misrepresented the nature of the class and provided expensive "perks" to attending physicians;
A "publication strategy" that subsidized the production and dissemination of anecdotal reports favorable to off-label use of Neurontin and were of no scientific value;
Payments to prescribers for "research" that were, in effect, kickbacks for off-label prescribing; and
Providing incomplete information about Neurontin to the drug reference compendium "Drugdex."
Under the terms of the consumer fraud settlement, Warner-Lambert's corporate parent Pfizer, Inc. will be prohibited from:

Making false, misleading or deceptive oral or written claims about Neurontin and from promoting its off-label uses in violation of federal law;
Misrepresenting the nature of scientific evidence relating to Neurontin;
Disseminating written materials that have not appeared in peer reviewed scientific journals;
Failing to make disclosures about funding of research and educational events related to Neurontin;
Misrepresenting the credentials of sales, medical and technical personnel;
Providing information that is misleading or lacking in fair balance to drug reference compendia; and
Violating federal anti-kickback laws.
In addition, pursuant to the states' settlement, Warner-Lambert agreed to require speakers at educational events related to Neurontin who have financial relationships with Warner-Lambert or Pfizer to disclose their relationship, including whether the speaker has been paid to promote Neurontin. Although they are considered voluntary industry guidelines, Pfizer will be required to comply with the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America Code with respect to payments, gifts and remuneration to health care providers and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education Guidelines.

In resolving the consumer fraud investigation, Warner-Lambert agreed to pay $28 million for a remediation program, of which at least $21 million will be used to fund education programs, which will make grants available to governmental entities, academic institutions and not-for-profits organizations that provide physicians and/or consumers with fair and balanced information about drugs. Approximately $6 million will go toward a national advertising campaign to provide physicians and consumers with information about Neurontin and other similar drugs. Finally, $1 million will be utilized to evaluate the effectiveness of the remediation program.

In addition, Warner-Lambert will pay $10 million to the states to cover their costs of the investigation. New York State's share of this payment will be $678,000.

For New York State, the investigation was handled by Assistant Attorney General Shirley Stark of the Consumer Frauds and Protection Bureau and Special Assistant Attorney General Patrick Lupinetti, Director of the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit's Special Projects Unit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 04-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

stayhealthy HB User

My husband takes Neurotin for his Gastroaresis. He has nerve damage in his stomach due to his diabetes. The mediations is working but not sure about the sleep issue. Hope this help.

Old 04-23-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

[QUOTE=ricrokrol]Does anyone in here take NEUROTIN for Bipolar or any chronic pain conditions? If so can you tell me if it helps you sleep ?
[/QUOTE=Gee Gee] I only speak from my own experiences........,

Yes, I have been taking Neurontin for several years. This is a drug that is
prescribed for BiPolar disorder, nerve damage, chronic pain, epilepsy,
chronic pain, RLS, and I am sure there are others.

I am taking it for BiPolar -- moodswings, and chronic pain. I would never
stop taking it unless my PDoctor took me off of it, and that would be only if
I started to have side effects.
It's kinda funny, in a way.., a LOT of meds., we take have NOT been approved by the FDA. !

Neurontin has helped me a LOT more with moodswings, than the other two I
have taken in the past, having much less side affects, and I could see a
difference in a short time !
It took a few months, for me to see a HUGE difference in the chronic pain I was in, however it has been a life saver for me.

This may sound silly, but I take other meds., too, some for sleep !
So, it's a bit hard to tell if this med., makes me sleep TOO !lol.
Make any sense ?

Take Care,
Gee Gee

Old 04-24-2005, 01:05 AM   #6
(male)

ricrokrol HB User

Thank you for you responses

Old 04-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #7
(male)

ricrokrol HB User

Gee GEE, if you dont mind me asking , what other meds do you take for sleep.

Old 04-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Thumbs down Re: Neurontin

I was on Neurontin for a time, and while I don't remember it working really really well or failing really really miserably, all I remember was that when I started the medicine I started getting what I called "brain shocks". It was like electricity was shooting through my head! It was painful and would have certain triggers, get better and worse, etc. This continued for YEARS after I d/c the medicine, so I'm thinking maybe it wasn't because of it... but the timing of the beginnings of the shocks and the drug was really close and the only change in anything....
Kristina

Old 06-19-2005, 03:43 AM   #9
(female)

gg_6225 HB User

I'm on Neurontin and it DOES help me sleep. I hadn't slept more than an hour or two per night for at least six months before I started with Neurontin. It helped my mind stop reeling so that I could actually GO to sleep.
Now that I've been on it for a year, it takes a lot longer to go to sleep than it did when I first started but it still works pretty well. Don't know what I would have done without it.
Ginger

Old 06-19-2005, 06:53 AM   #10
(female)

singsong HB User

Yes, I take it for restless leg syndrome from Seroquel! and..., it works very well so far for this and problems sleeping. I take daily: 2400 mg Trilepta, 200 mg neurtonin, 600 mg seroquel...I do have concerns about longterm effects of neurontin but was kind of desparate because I need to seroquel and neurontin relieves all the side effects!

Old 06-20-2005, 07:16 AM   #11
(female)

Derangea HB User

I take 1800mg of Neurontin daily for mood swings and yes it has helped with my disturbed sleep cycles. I've been on it for almost a month now. I stay asleep now when before I would wake up every two hours.

Closed Thread