It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

michele1975 HB User
Angry Weight Gain

Has anyone else had any weight gain with their medication? I'm taking symbyax and I've gained about 10 pounds since taking it (about 3 mths). I have a Dr. appt. Thursday and was going to discuss it with him.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
Re: Weight Gain

I would rather settle for a little weight and sanity then being skinny and manic -
My med can cause weight gain but I've managed to keep it reasonable. Not model like.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User

I originally gained weight from Depakote...have since lost it. I know of a lot of meds that DO not cause weight gain....you need to address this with your Dr. if it is bothering you. You do not need another issue to deal with.....Kahlia

Old 04-19-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
(female)

michele1975 HB User

Thanks everyone. I will talk with the doctor and see what his thoughts are.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
(male)

smc612 HB User

i have gained weight from every anti-depressant i have taken. talked to the dr. today about it and he assures me that if you start to feel better sometimes you sit and eat more. he suggested with this change in meds that i am really cautious about what and when i eat. i have to agree that 10 extra pounds is better than being out of my mind most of the time with anxiety and depression.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

I am trying to be extremely careful with lithium since my own pdoc said I will probably gain weight. I on the other hand would rather be crazy - LOL! Hope your dr can help you out. Love, Lori

Old 04-19-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
(female)

michele1975 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheedge
Michele,
i agree with Kahlia said we have enough to deal with we do not need anything else added to it....noone, or shall i say not me anyway is trying to be model think, but i do not want to be chunky either.....defintely would not be happy with myself....
Talk with your dr and tell him how you are feeling, there is no need for the weight gain.....
Denise
I also agree that we have enough to deal with let alone that I can't wear my clothes anymore. LOL! I mean if I've gained 10 pounds that quickly who knows what I'll look like in a few months/years. I will definately talk with my doctor.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:15 AM   #8
(female)

Garnet77 HB User

My husband is on Lithium and YES he has gained weight like 40 lbs... The doctor says it happens with these type of meds. I did some research on Bipolarism and almost everyone has implicated gain weight from 10 lbs. to 100. Ask ur doc. though times have changed and many new meds are coming out every year. How long have u been on ur meds? My husb. has been on them for about 2 yrs...........

Old 04-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #9
(female)

michele1975 HB User

I've only be on my meds for about 4 months.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Funny how there is no one answer for everyone. Its neat to compare though.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User

I used to take paxil for the greater part of a year and it removed (not reduced mind you) my appetite. I wasn't only not hungry but food repulsed me. So I droped about 15 pounds. Now I'm off paxil and many med combos later I am on seroquel and I have gained 20 pounds due to intense sugar cravings. I don't have much appetite but I binged on cookies, cake, and pie for about a month and half. Now I'm trying to make a concerted effort not to do this even through I really want to.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #12
(female)

michele1975 HB User

I talked to the dr today and he said weight gain was normal and I hopefully won't gain anymore weight. He told me that if he switched my meds I would probally gain more weight so I'm going to stick with the symbyax.

Old 04-21-2005, 03:24 PM   #13
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Glad you spoke with your dr and got some kind of answer. Kind of nice to know you have the lessest of the evils. And hey if the med is working well for you, there are worse things. Love, Lori

Closed Thread