It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 04:03 AM   #1
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
How do you stop shopping?

There are so many things I think I need to finish decorating my dining room/kitchen and I want to order them all. I am trying to hold off and check with dh, but I am going crazy! I can't stop organizing and throwing things away and wanting to trade for new things, and cleaning and getting rid of all clutter. I am kind of glad I will be at work all day. At walmart yesterday, I kept telling myself out loud to stick to the list, quit screwing around, just get out! How long to get over this. I WANT TO SHOP! Oh, and I am NOT wealthy to do this. Where is everyone anyway? did you all create a new site?? Why am I the only one obsessing about everything including being on here? I thought I was over this. But its so much goddamned fun, right? I suppose it could be worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
(female)

kimber lee HB User
Cool Re: How do you stop shopping?

hi there! you sound like me in your kitchen doing all that tossing and throwing away!!!!! i do it almost everyday and i just go to thrift shops and buy more stuff to replace the old stuff itsa a viciouis cycle, i fing if i go to the store and walk around with the things i like and i put them back after ahilw because the ecitement has worn off, i am not as broke as i used to be and it gives me kind of a wind dowm feeling, but doenst always work...
kimber lee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 04:32 AM   #3
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
Re: How do you stop shopping?

Thanks for the ideas Kimber. I am hoping this will go away. I just am not sure what to do, but I think dh should be in the loop on this one. I can see me putting stuff back -LOL! I think I could do that. I have a bigger problem online! Thanks! Love, Lori

Old 04-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Lori, just checking - do you think this is related to the bipolar shop til you drop thing, or more of an OCD thing?
My mood stabilizer was the only thing that stood between me and me owning the entire Capital Records collection...

Old 04-19-2005, 07:45 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User

Oh yeah, been there done that doing it again next wednesday! I usually get to a point that I realize I can no longer pay my credit bill off within a month and basically hide my credit card from myself. works great for shopping in stores but yes internet is a different story and I unfortunately have my credit card number memorized. I just try to stay away from shopping sites and force myself to do something else like watch tv or sleep. But Ruth is right, a med adjuestment might help curve that problem fast.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
(female)

angelblue65 HB User

Lori,
Ruth suggested it might be OCD but I'm also wondering if it could be ADD...I have inattentive ADD and along with that comes the constant need to get organized (I have all these grand plans to organize, decorate, etc. - you should see my lists lol!) and the impulsiveness to buy things only to later feel worse about the purchases even though at the moment it made me feel so good. I'm not BP (my BF is though - BPII) but also shares the impulsiveness at times. Lately we've both felt restless with a strong desire to make changes (small ones as well as big ones) yet we don't share the same illness. It can be overwhelming at times and you've mastered the most important part - and that is recognizing/acknowledging it. It's almost like watching what you eat. You may want those cookies or pizza (or whatever it is) and it's going to feel so good while you're eating it but if you remember how yucky you feel after the fact, it helps to curb the impulse the next time you're faced with it. It took me a long time to develop that habit but it does help, well, sometimes

And hey, it's spring - don't we all get antzy right about now? Good luck with things and don't be too hard on yourself.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

My husband has this constant need to buy car parts and things for his car, tools, electronic equipment, all top dollar items. He "needs" a different tool for every job, only the best will do. The other day he came home with a torch that cost well over 400 dollars and all I said was...be careful. He ended up burning his arm but that is a whole other story.
But, in his defense he does make more money that I do and he has found a way to make money so he can spend money.
He organizes everything and then the items he doesn't want anymore he sells at an online auction. This keeps him busy AND makes him feel better about purchasing more items. You would be surprised how much you can get for items that you think are worthless.
If buying things make him feel better I'm all for it, it was always his regret afterwards that would make me sad. Now he feels good about his purchases and he's not breaking the bank.
If you have junk in your trunk you should try it
Nodi

Old 04-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #8
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Thanks for all the advice. I am not sure if its bp or add or ocd or what! How do you know?? Heres something that happened at work today. I sat down to enter my sales slips and I COULD NOT START until I cleaned my whole desk, like doing everything I had to do written on sticky notes, so I could throw them away, sweep the floor and empty my garbage for the third time. What up with that? Usually I just like to hop to it and get it done.

Anyhow, advice please. This morning I went to order a bread box (I have to get everything off the counter or I can't stand it), while looking I also picked out a curtain for the kitchen, new placemats and new chair cushions. So my $50 breadbox turned into $200. I didn't place the order, just saved the cart to talk to dh. ( I can't keep doing this) so he comes home and says - No, you can't do this. So now I want to do it even more, because he says no.

Bottom line - anyone reading this, should I order anyway? Thanks for your help everyone! Love, Lori

Old 04-19-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Dh says order any way so I think I might add a few things...

Closed Thread