It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 10:48 AM   #1

vturner1 HB User
Gabitril Question

I was recently incarcerated for 90 days and my meds were changed based on what was available. Before jail I was on 30 Mg of Abilify, 4 Mg of Risperdal, 20 Mg of Lexapro and 300 Mg of Effexor daily. In jail I recieved no meds for 3 weeks and went through hell of withdrawl. Then the jail Psych doctor put me on what was available to him to perscribe in the jail's formulary. He put me on 100 MG of Geodon, (?) of Prozac and 150 Mg of Effexor. I got out and saw my regular Psych doctor the same day. He was not happy with the drugs I had been given in jail and put me back on full dosages of the meds I had been on before jail.

I ended up have a psychotic episode (auditory and visual hallucinations) over the next 4 days which resulted in my being in the psych hospital. While hospitalized my psych doctor took me off all meds except 150 Mg of Effexor and a drug called Gabitril. The Gabitril is an anticonvulsant and being used as a mood stabilizer too. I am now on the reduced dosage of Effexor and Gabitril only. I have had involuntary movements in my leg and hand for 4 months now and the Gabitril is supposed to help with that side affect too. The doctor is calling the movements EPTS. I'm not sure what that stands for.

Has anyone had similar "tics" from medication? Has anyone been prescribed Gabitril and how did it work for you? I'm miserable...please help.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
(female)

loopyturtle HB User
Re: Gabitril Question

I took Gabitril for about a year as part of a cocktail of meds. It seemed to help with the moods. I actually got into a fight with a nurse pract. that I was at the mercy of for meds. She told me that Gabitril wasn't for bipolar, but for anxiety. But she demonstrated her ingnorance of pharmacology just about every one of the three sessions I had with her.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It's frustrating to have the meds messed around with and be powerless to do anything about it.

I personally haven't had trouble with the tics. I had trouble at first with restless leg syndrome when I began the Gabitril, but it subsided pretty quickly.

Hope you get things straightened out.

--Loopy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #3

vturner1 HB User
Re: Gabitril Question

Loopyturtle - thanks for the reply. I guess no one else on this site has been on Gabitril for mood stabilization and involuntary movements (tics). I'm glad to hear that the medicine evidently helped with your restless leg syndrome. I believe what I have is closely related to that syndrome. Thanks again and good luck to you.

Closed Thread