It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 02:50 AM   #1
(male)

Travis420 HB User
How long does the depression part last?

Hey it's me again, still hanging in there.

I'm new to this Bipolor disorder and haven't been properily medicated yet. I just went through what you call mania where I was in a good mood for days on end for about eight weeks(is it call mania?). Now for the past two weeks it's been the opposite. Some days are better than others, today is so far, is going to be a good one. If I was in a good mood for such a long time than that means I'll be in a crappy mood for another 6 weeks or so? I'm so new at this I really can't be properily medicated yet right?

Well to explain my past a little, I'm a recovering heroin addict and have used heroin for 4 years. Then when I started my recovery last fall and I kept using every now and then. For the past 10 weeks I've been clean from heroin. Does heroin surpresses bipolor? I beleive it does, cause I never new I had bipolor untill after I was diagnosed with it last Feb. I'm only 20 years old, bye the way. The doctors only gave me prozac and nothing else. They told me to fill out a mood journal, which I'm behind on. This mood journal, filling it out, will it give the doctors an idea on what meds I should be on? I don't even think I've been diagnose with which number I'm at, one or two I don't know.

I wonder if it was my junk habbit that cause me to have bipolor or was it that I was born to develope this.

I know I should go back on the prozac, but it's been over a month now. Why even bother. I'm still working on getting some type of coverage so I'll have the means to support my meds and therapy. I stopped going to the doctors too cause I just don't have the money. I'm flat broke with no job, except an odd job here and an odd job there. Any money I do earn goes towards my methadone, if I stop taking that I'll deffentily go back to using and that's just going backwards. I rather suffer through depression than go through withdrawls from methadone.

Talk to you guys later

Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 02:54 AM   #2
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
Re: How long does the depression part last?

I think it varies from person to person. For me, I was more depressed most of the time. I just want to add that I was on prozac too, and it just aggrevated my condition. I hope this doesn't happen to you. Man, you really have some stuff to deal with. I hope you will be able to get into a dr soon. I think that would be the best idea. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2005, 03:27 AM   #3
(female)

Josie's Momma HB User

Hi Travis,
I am actually reading a book right now about BP written by a Pdoc. He mentions BP and drug addiction. They think it is possible to go into BP states due to drugs. The withdrawal of them as well. You have a lot on your plate right now. You just have to take it one day at a time and know it will get better. I am in the same situation without healthcare and it is expensive without it.
As far as how long it lasts? It varies from person to person. Just because you were Manic for 8 weeks does not mean you will be depressed for the same amount of time. I can't say I could ever clock my cycles by looking at the other end of them. I think it would have made it too easy for me, and we can't have that. LOL
Just wondering, is the reason they aren't medicating you due to your addiction? Also, have you tried for free health care? I don't know where you are in the world but it seems there should be something. Especially with you be a recovering addict. Just a thought.
Good luck Travis. Keep us up to date!

Old 06-03-2005, 03:51 AM   #4
(male)

Travis420 HB User

Josie's Momma

I tried for disabilities, but no answer yet. I even applied to medicaid and I'm still waiting an answer on one that too. I live in the US in NJ and it's hard to get any benifits. I just don't have the money to pay for the meds and therapy that I need. I was subscriped to Prozac, so the docs are medicating me. Well at least they're trying to anyways.

What's this book you are reading?

Travis

Old 06-03-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
(female)

Josie's Momma HB User

i don't know if I am allowed to say but I will try.... It is Bipolar Disorder, A guide for Patients and Familes, by Francis Mark Mondimore, M.D.
It just seems with BP they would give you a mood stabilizer. I am by no means a Pdoc though. So it is just my opinion.
This book is very easy to read and explains ALOT of things. There is also Kay Jamison M.D. She is a Pdoc who has BP and has written quite a few books. They are worth picking up too.
I know all about trying to get help from the state. When I quit my last job I had ZERO money coming in and I have a 4 year old. They just kinda turned their noses up at me. Turned out it was ok, I got a job in the time it would have taken to get anything from them. Still the medicaid would be nice...

Old 06-03-2005, 04:54 AM   #6
(male)

Travis420 HB User

Josie's Momma

Thanks for the info.

Are we not suppose to give out info like this on the boards?

Sorry Moderators.

Travis

Old 06-03-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
(female)

Zbaby HB User

I googled free NJ health care but all I got was info on kid's health care. However, Josie's Momma, you may want to check out http://www.uniteforsight.org/free_health_coverage.php. You might be able to find a state program that will cover your 4 yr. old.

Travis420 - I wish I could point you to an org. that could help. Have you checked any community clinics that might be able to help?

If you can hook up with a good p-doc, he might be able to provide some free samples. I've done that with normal docs in the past and have gone a year without paying for medication. You definitely need to see someone who will a) diagnose you and b) provide a mood stabilizer AND anti-d if you are indeed BP.

Length of episodes differ from one to another. For myself, I'm more depressive, so I might go a week or two in a manic state and two or more months in a moderate to deep depression. Fortunately I haven't been suicidal since my teens, but I have been pretty desperate at times despite how good life may be.

Your heroin withdrawal is most likely exacerbating the situation with your mania/depression. However, while you were on heroin, you may have been too high to hit the depressive state. You may have had BP all along and didn't even know it. That happens a lot -- took me 17 yrs. to get a proper diagnosis.

Also, traumatic events can hasten the onset of BP. I would think being a heroin addict alone would be a traumatic event, esp. when you go through with withdrawal.

Take comfort in the fact that you've come a long way -- it's difficult for even the strongest individuals to kick the heroin habit. If you've got the strength to do that, then you can ride this out until help can be found...the sooner, the better!

Old 06-03-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
(female)

vo-5 HB User

I was put on Prozac years ago for depression, but really had BP. Now I'm on a mood stabilizer and it's much better. I've been trying for SSDI for a year and half now. I have 15 diagnoses both mental and physical. My hearing is set for the end of this month. I had no idea it would take this long. Travis there should be a local MHMR in your area. Usually they provide mental health services and medication free or on a sliding scale basis. Look it up in your phone book. Good luck to you!

Old 06-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
(male)

Travis420 HB User

vo-5 & Zbaby

Thanks for the advices. I'm going to googled MHMR and see what comes up. Theres gotta be something out there for me.

I'm still hanging in there.

Travis

Old 06-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: How long does the depression part last?

Just a note... not only does the length of depression vary from person to person, but it also varies from episode to episode within the same person!
Kristina

Old 06-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #11
(female)

vo-5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by *music23*
Just a note... not only does the length of depression vary from person to person, but it also varies from episode to episode within the same person!
Kristina
right.

Closed Thread