It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

Madmummy HB User
Official diagnosis NOT BP - thoroughly confused now

I went back into the MH unit for the ward round yesterday (i've been on leave) and saw the psych team. The consultant said their diagnosis was Borderline Personality Disorder, NOT Bipolar. This was because my highs are hypomanic, not manic, and not 'extreme' enough, and also because i cycle so rapidly - within a day, i can go from level to high or level to lower then low within the space of an hour, yet 2 or 3 hours later i will have levelled out again. this, i think, is the reason they dont think its BP - they said the cycles would have to last longer. But I fit almost all criteria for being BP.

Also the highs have only started since i started taking 225mg Efexor a day - now i know some ADs can trigger mood swings in some people, but when i mentioned this to the psych he didnt think that was the case in my situation.

Its not that I am unhappy with the diagnosis, i just dont see how they can be sure which it is when the symptoms are so similar.

Any advice anyone? Have any of you been through similar? Does anyone else cycle this fast and if so, were you told it couldnt be BP for that reason?

THanks xxx

Old 06-30-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User
Re: Official diagnosis NOT BP - thoroughly confused now

I'm not an expert on Boderline Personality but from what I've read, it has all the (or at least most) of the symptoms of BP with addition of feeling completely empty and having fears of abandoment and going to extremes (behaviorly) to keep people in their lives (like trying to be the center of attention or lying about certain things to keep people invovled). With such similar symptoms I imagine Boderline and BP are often misdiagnosed interchaangeably if the doc misses certain symptoms. Have you done any Boderline research?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

Madmummy HB User

yes i have, and TBH it seems that i fit almost all the criteria for BOTH disoprders. No wonder i am confused lol!

Old 06-30-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User

There is a thing called co-morbidity where you are diagnosed with multiple (at least 2) mental disorders. Maybe you DO have symptoms of both.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Since you are experiencing highs, even if it is only hypomania, it sounds like you definitely have bipolar disorder. Yes, borderline personality disorder has rapid mood swings, but if you're truly having hypomania rather than periods of "I hate you" one minute to "I love you" the next, you probably have BD, not BPD. Hasn't the doctor ever heard of ultra-radian rapid cycling in bipolar disorder, where the person can go from mania to depression or vice versa within minutes of each other? I say, if you aren't cutting yourself for reasons unrelated to suicidal thoughts or have the irrational fear of somebody leaving you in a relationship, you probably don't have BDD, but instead, bipolar disorder... I'd get a second opinion, especially if you feel that you fit the criteria for BD perfectly.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread