It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

Derangea HB User
Lightbulb How's Your Relationship With Your Therapist?

Hello,

I just thought it would be a good idea if everyone could describe how they feel with their current therapist and if they are helping in anyway. Some of us may have the same problems with our own and disscuss them. Just an idea

Old 06-30-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User
Re: How's Your Relationship With Your Therapist?

I've only been to my new therapist once. But, the more I think about the visit, the more I'm a little frustrated. She kind of made me feel like a quest for a p-doc that will take time and energy in helping figure out my problems was a waste of my time. I understand that docs and hospitals are overcrowded... but that doesn't mean there aren't docs out there that are concerned. That and the fact that I felt more hopeless when I left than when I went in. Now I just feel numb and out of tears.
Sorry, you were probably looking for more positive posts weren't you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User

I've been with my therapist for over a year now and we get along great. He doesn't insult my intelligence, always listens, and rarely gives me this is the law kind of feedback. He states his opinion/intepretation, asks for mine and then we discuss both thoughts. He loans books to read. And he knows I have a technical background so even loans books on theory and we talk in terms of that too. He doesn't make me feel like a patient who is broken. He even gives the impression that he enjoys working with me!

Old 06-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesie
I've been with my therapist for over a year now and we get along great. He doesn't insult my intelligence, always listens, and rarely gives me this is the law kind of feedback. He states his opinion/intepretation, asks for mine and then we discuss both thoughts. He loans books to read. And he knows I have a technical background so even loans books on theory and we talk in terms of that too. He doesn't make me feel like a patient who is broken. He even gives the impression that he enjoys working with me!
That sounds really great reesie! Its always good to have a give and take kind of relationship in therapy I think.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
(female)

Derangea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeysWifey0316
I've only been to my new therapist once. But, the more I think about the visit, the more I'm a little frustrated. She kind of made me feel like a quest for a p-doc that will take time and energy in helping figure out my problems was a waste of my time. I understand that docs and hospitals are overcrowded... but that doesn't mean there aren't docs out there that are concerned. That and the fact that I felt more hopeless when I left than when I went in. Now I just feel numb and out of tears.
Sorry, you were probably looking for more positive posts weren't you.
Not really, because with my experiences with therapists, the negative always outweighed the bad.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #6
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derangea
Not really, because with my experiences with therapists, the negative always outweighed the bad.
Good to know we're not alone then isn't it.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
(female)

Derangea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeysWifey0316
Good to know we're not alone then isn't it.
Yes it certainly is!

Old 06-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

I have NEVER found the right one to help me!!!! FRUSTERATED! My experiences....they either do all the talking, or just listen to me, no feedback, put me on every kind of drug out there, mis diagnose me. Being put on med's all the time is killing me! I know they are trial and error, seeing that everyone reacts differently! Some have made me feel even worse!!! Including the one i am on right now! I am in the process of finding a new therapists, since she wont lower my dose, or take me off. I know my body and i cant stand this.......i am feeling soooo horrible. I hope i find the right one, and soon!

Closed Thread