It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User
Psychiatry or Scientology ! Confused...,

Hello to ALL,

If you didn't see the interview on CNN, with Anderson Cooper, last evening,
you can look it up yourself on CNN.

I can tell you a bit of it...,
Cooper interviewed a Scientologist, who says, Quote :
' There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance ! ' He also says that,
' Psychiatrist pretend, that there is. ' And, that, ' They have no proof either !'
And, he said, ' They just write out scripts., of medications that are,
mind altering drugs, and it is poison. ' Also he said, Quote :
' Antidepressants are the biggest cause of suicide ! '
He also went on and on about children and the drug Ritlan, that he says is
NOT a necessary drug !
And, on and on, very shocking to me, indead.

This man also said, Quote :' Not only these drugs are not necessary, they are
toxic, and many people go see their BP Doctors, who pump them full of drugs,
and do shock treatments against their wills.' WHEW !

Then Cooper interviewed an infamous Psychiatrist lady.
Of course, she said that " MANIC DEPRESSION, is VERY REAL. "

She said, " It IS a proven fact that there are differences in the
brain waves of the brains of people who have Manic Depression to prove
that this IS REAL. " And, she said, " If people who have Bipolar Illness,
OR Depression, do
NOT get help, and find a good Psychiatrist, and take the medications they
need........, they could DIE ! "
AND, she said, Quote : " There is help out there for those who do not have
insurance. "

So, what do you folks think about this ? I would surely be interested to know.
Gee Gee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User
Re: Psychiatry or Scientology ! Confused...,

Well there you are, I wondered where you ran off to I want to think you were off making jewlry or touring your town, but something tells me you've been in bed. Are you okay?

More to the point of the thread. Let's see, what do I think? This is classic Us vs Them. I think we disagree with them and they disagree with us and that is not going to change so we should ignore them (because we don't have anything nice to say, that's what my mommy taught me ) and keep "poisoning" ourselves.

Besides it's all scientology dogma anyway. Who wins a fight against dogma? Exactly. Some think (I ain't saying who) that scientology is an Organized Religion Cult. If that is true, do we really want to get wild hairs over a cult's doctrines? I'm pretty sure we won't burn any calories doing that. And if you can't burn calories is the exertion really worth the effort? Just my .02

(Not to be snippy or anything, but I think we already had this discussion on the Dr Tom Cruise, who is a scientologist, thread)

Last edited by reesie; 06-30-2005 at 04:11 PM.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User

I agree entirely with you Reesie. Anyone who denies the existence of something that is so easy to see in so many people is an idiot - I always, somewhat selfishly, wish that people like this would actually become afflicted and see how they cope with the 'imaginary chemial imbalance' in the brain. That is not to say I would ordinarily wish something so dangerous on anyone, but it would be great if there were a way of giving someone the illness for a couple of months and seeing if their 'theories' about it stand up in practise. I'm sure there would be far fewer patronising and unsympathetic psychiatrists if they'd all spent a month or two in bed sobbing and listening to unpleasant voices in their heads and putting their 'mind over matter' techniques to good use.

I do agree with positive thinking and other supportive methods, but I think they're only useful in moderate circumstances - I don't think they help with a severe depression or when you're manic and planning to swim to Canada because you know you can! That's where the meds come in and I'm sure most of us on this board wouldn't be here without them.

Little rant over!! I just hate people with no practical experience pontificating and criticising those of us who have to cope, day in, day out, with not only this illness, but the financial difficulties due to work problems, the relationship difficulties and the stigma. Thank goodness for boards like this!

Old 07-01-2005, 06:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Picali, you are SOOOOOO right.
(And I do believe I really could have swam (swum?) across Lake Superior to Canada during my last mania...)

Old 07-01-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Well, I'm totally against scientology and Cruise's ignorant opinions, but the part I want to address is what the lady psychiatrist said. Obviously, bipolar disorder can kill a person by the depression-induced suicides, but mania can also kill. If a person is manic for a long period of time without treatment, their overactivity can actually cause their heart to give out. I found this interesting, and it's another pertinent reason for people with manic-depression to receive proper care.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

Hey Reesie !, YEP ! YOU GOT IT...,

Been/am in bed, running a temp. AGAIN, and feeling rotten to the core !

WELL, I have finally made it through, to the Message Board !!!!

I was beginning to think I had been ' Kicked OFF ! '

I think it's my computer...., We did get it hooked up last night, but we still
have to do some more work on it, you know ?
(And, I am a # 1 Computer Dummie !) Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuh...,

I hope I didnt' offend you by this Thread. I guess I was just upset by all
that new stuff I learned.
If I did, I am so sorry...,

Let me hear from you, if you get a chance...,
Gee Gee

Hello ! To, Picali, Ruth and GatasbyLuvr1920 !

I thank you for your replies....,
Gee Gee

Old 07-02-2005, 12:43 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User

Nah, I'm not offended. I guess I just kind of reacted from gettong comments on this issue from my family and some overheard conversations from work plus I was working a 10 hour day and I felt like crap on toast. I guess just wanted everyone to accept the situation and move on like had, which means I should have left the reply alone and truly moved on but angry people are never wise, are they?

Old 07-02-2005, 01:17 AM   #8
(male)

greywolf HB User

I did see a couple of interviews with him. I don't follow celebs, but I noted he has been a bit bizarre on other shows. He seemed manic to me. I think he shows symptoms of bipolar. I wonder if he is. He either needs to put down the stones or move out of his glass house.

Greywolf

Old 07-10-2005, 02:47 AM   #9
(female)

tcoult HB User

I'm bipolar, and I DON'T disagree with Tom Cruise. I don't totally agree with him either. I DON'T THINK HE IS IGNORANT. He just sees things a little differently. He doesn't think mental illness don't exist. You've got that part wrong. They feel that there are physical causes to the illness and that they shouldn't be labeled psychiatric, and treated by psychiatrists. They think that illnesses in the body cause the problems, and that doctors haven't discovered what that illness is. I have to agree. My father was severely bipolar. My brother seems has severe sleep apnea, and seems to be bipolar. We have suspected that my father had sleep apnea also, as do I. My father also had atrial fibrillation and so has my brother at times. This causes not enough blood flow to the brain. So you see, I believe a lot of what Tom Cruise is saying. I just feel that even though psychiatry is off about NOT finding the physical causes, and they are wrong to drug children with Ritalin and many others as well, I think they do help people when the cause can't be found, and the situation is serious enought to warrent a person taking medication.

Closed Thread