It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
(female)

singsong HB User
Thumbs down Cruel Comments Regarding Disability

Hi, people! Really need to get this off my chest because I am fuming.

I posted at another board regarding Soc Sec issues (won't mention). Recently I posted a comment regarding living on soc sec, which was the thread topic. I am not currently ON Soc Sec but just had my hearing regarding BP. I had worked for 28 years full-time which ain't chicken feed.

This morning I went in to check it and when I read one responder's comments I was too shocked and ANGRY to move (or breath!!!!!!) Here's what it said:

"Your letter writing skills could probably be used in a real job. Unless your disability is an allergy to work."

Now folks I know there will always be people like that but, but, but, I AM SO FURIOUS. Anyhow, I know all you guys would say don't respond at all, which I did not, EXCEPT TO REPORT THIS AS A VIOLATION. It is trash, period.

This is the best BP site I have found and it is here I get the most intelligent and compassisonate feedback.

YOU GUYS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by singsong; 07-01-2005 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spell

Old 07-01-2005, 07:38 AM   #2
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User
Re: Cruel Comments Regarding Disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by singsong
Hi, people! Really need to get this off my chest because I am fuming.

I posted at another board regarding Soc Sec issues (won't mention). Recently I posted a comment regarding living on soc sec, which was the thread topic. I am not currently ON Soc Sec but just had my hearing regarding BP. I had worked for 28 years full-time which ain't chicken feed.

This morning I went in to check it and when I read one responder's comments I was too shocked and ANGRY to move (or breath!!!!!!) Here's what it said:

"Your letter writing skills could probably be used in a real job. Unless your disability is an allergy to work."

Now folks I know there will always be people like that but, but, but, I AM SO FURIOUS. Anyhow, I know all you guys would say don't respond at all, which I did not, EXCEPT TO REPORT THIS AS A VIOLATION. It is trash, period.

This is the best BP site I have found and it is here I get the most intelligent and compassisonate feedback.

YOU GUYS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!
It really is sad that there are so many people like this in this world. If we could all look past our own first impressions long enough to imagine what some one else might be going through, I think we'd all get along better. I'm totally with ya on this one singsong. It's okay though, its been my experience that people who say things like this often end up going through what they are critisizing. If it were this person on SSI or some one near and dear to them, their tune would drastically change. Not that I would ever wish ill fortune on anyone, but sometimes that is what it takes to wake people up. I'm glad you reported it as a bad post, because it was a negative and abusive remark. Plus, hopefully it will be off of there before I go over there and lay my opinion on the line! Haha
Ok, here is a funny joke for the day to cheer ya up. I know fellow BP's will really appreciate it.
Some people are kind of like a Slinky; not really good for anything, but they put a smile on your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Of course I'm only kidding though! I would never push anyone down anything!
Love Ya!
Casey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User

Love the joke, Casey! Singsong, totally with you, what an idiot. I get a lot of flak for being on the Social - people don't understand the problems you encounter day to day and think being on benefits is the easy option - try living on it, is all I can say. Don't blame you for being mad, it's made me mad too!

Old 07-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

Some people are kind of like a Slinky; not really good for anything, but they put a smile on your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I LOVE IT ~ I'M GOING TO MAKE A POINT OF TELLING EVERYONE I KNOW ~ RIGHT NOW

Hedge.

Last edited by Hedgehog No 1; 07-01-2005 at 11:15 AM.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
(female)

singsong HB User

I knew it! I can always come here for good, objective support. Know that you have all comforted me today. It really jolted my emotions and took me a bit to calm down, but I have.

Pls have a wonderful Fourth, with lots of dogs and burgers!

Old 07-01-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Hi Singsong,

Thanks for the interesting thread, I'm glad it made you feel better to vent. It really is sad how many closed minded individuals can assert their ignorant attitudes and hurt our feelings by being so rude. I would report that as a bad post if I were you, that kind of response goes against board rules, and is simply unacceptable.

Ok, let me see if I can find something positive here, hmmmm,...if it wasn't for people like that in the world, we wouldn't be able to appreciate the nice people as much, right?

That reminds me of a bumper sticker I used to have on my car about 10 years ago, it really said it all ~ MEAN PEOPLE SUCK ~

take care and have a nice holiday!!

~~heather~~

Old 07-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

I cannot understand why some people want to hurt others for no possible reason. Maybe they need to walk a mile or two in your shoes and they might not be to quick to judge.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

That's exactly it, bethys, people that have never gone through difficult things in their lives, have a hard time developing empathy and acceptance for others. I have learned so much not just about myself becuase of bipolar, but what others go through with mental illness.

I can remember having to deal with a patient who was schizophrenic when I used to work in the rehab clinic. He had a really bad temper, (which was why he was there, rehabilitating from a hand injury when he put his fist through a glass window) and he would just go off and start screaming at people, and I remember just not liking him, and not being able to feel any empathy that he was sick. I knew he was sick, but somehow, I think I felt like he could help himself if he tried harder. I just didn't know any better then....

~~heather~~

Last edited by polarized13; 07-01-2005 at 02:21 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

Old 07-01-2005, 07:40 PM   #9
(female)

singsong HB User

I was thinking about how some mental illnesses are called hidden disabilities. That does confuse people and they might look at us and think we are simply lazy by not working when we are going through SSDI/SSI process. I guess that's what they go by-the way someone looks. Physical impairments often are easier to "accept" while our illness is sometimes considered "Faking it." It can be very difficult and painful for us.

Thanks again for great replies!

Closed Thread