It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #1

Zagboo HB User
Anybody BP & Hypothyroid?

I've been dx'ed w/BPII for a long time, on lithium, for about 20 mths, plus wellbutrin, neurontin, and strattera for ADD for a good while longer. I was dx'ed hypothyroid, early this week and have been on samples of meds the endocrinologist gave me (Levoxyl or something like that). I think I may be going hypomanic. I'm getting antsy like I drank too much coffee, I'm snapping at people (family), etc. I feel like I'm getting more energy in a positive way, which is good... previously, I felt like I was constantly wearing a weighted suit, felt like I couldn't think, couldn't remember... yuck.

Can anyone relate, and compare their experiences?

Thanks!!

Z

Old 07-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User
Re: Anybody BP & Hypothyroid?

yes, i'm hypothyroid and BP. the symptoms are sometimes similar and I can't tell what comes from what.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 05:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

I have a muti nodular goiter on my thyroid. Years ago I was treated as hypo, and now the only number that is off is my TSH which is low, so they are calling it hyper (slightly) I am not treated for it.
I have asked if the mania could be caused by this and told that it is not off enough to cause it.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
(female)

Catie HB User

Yup--I am.

And it's really frustrating. I'm BPII, and tend toward depression. Since depression can be one of the many yucky effects of hypothyroidism, it can be difficult (if not impossible) to tell whether my depression is more due to my thyroid or to my BP. In a weird way, it makes me feel better about the whole thing--needing to be on meds, etc. It's almost like since there's a "traditional" physical explanation (ok, *possible* explanation) for the depression and mood swings, it's less my fault, and somehow less of a psychiatric problem than a thyroid problem.

But there I go, reflecting society's biases regarding psychiatry. Intellectually, I know that BP is just as much of a physical problem, and that they've found evidence that BP brains work a little differently than other people's. But I find that even though I know better, I've picked up some of society's (and my family's) stigma regarding psychiatry. Sad, huh?

Old 07-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #5

Zagboo HB User
Thumbs up Re: Anybody BP & Hypothyroid?

Happy to report back... I think what I may have been feeling was a burst of energy due to the initial thyroid hormone doses. After observing it for a few days, it seemed like 1.5-2 hrs after taking the thyroid pill, I'd get this burst of energy that I wasn't used to at all. It seemed to taper off after a couple or three hours I think. It ended up feeling like very nervous energy. This subsided after probably 5 or 6 days to the point that I no longer feel the burst of energy, but I definitely feel much better overall than I did prior - a higher base energy level.

My wife commented on how much more cheerful, and fun I was after we spent the whole day together earlier this week.

Z

Closed Thread