It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
(female)

Derangea HB User
Should I Go On Lamictal?

I've heard from various sources that Lamictal can be a mood stabilizar that has almost a positive effect with people being bipolar but more on the depressed side. I've also hear that being bipolar and being on a antidepressants and mood stabilizers dont mix well and its best just to be on a mood stabilizer and stay away from antidepressants. I'm on Wellbutrin XL now and all it does is cause me anxiety and agrravation. I'm also on Neurontin which doesn't seem to be doing anything. And on Klonopin which I haven't felt an effect. I was wondering if maybe I should ditch everything else and just go on Lamictal. I was on it for a while a period back and can't remember having problems with it. The only thing is that I've been on antidepressants for such a long time that I'm almost afraid to go off of them. Would Lamictal be a good choice in my situation? I'm not asking professional advice because I am going to go to my doctor to discuss it and call in on Tuesday to ask. I was just wondering if I could get some input from you guys.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User
Re: Should I Go On Lamictal?

You will probably hear negative and positive responses. Mine being one of the negative! You really cant go by what people say, cuz everyone reacts differently to these med's. Recently i have had major problems on Lamictal, i have heard that it is a MIRACLE DRUG! Just not for me. You can read my many posts on here------asking for major help! I too, am on Wellbutrin XL. I am also in the process of finding a new pdoc....and i talk alot about how frusterated i am with docs and meds! I NEED to be on something....just cant find the right one! These are all trial and error. I dont know how much you know about Lamictal, but it can take a couple months before you feel anything. You have to start out with a very low dose, then work up to higher dose. The risk factor with this drug----but is VERY RARE, is it can cause a very serious rash! If this happens it happens within the 1st few weeks, and you need to get treated for that. With all these meds there can/are side effects.....that is drusterating as well. I would try this though----it may work for you. I do know that it is a fairly new drug used to treat bipolar. Good luck to you------i hope it works. Read along the boards...there is quite a bit of info on this drug.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
(female)

GentleLady HB User
Re: Should I Go On Lamictal?

I agree with what Princess says about each person reacting differently to a given drug. I have done very well on Lamictal for about 8 months. Recently I had a setback and started down the depression, beating myself up road. I went to the doc and he added wellbutrin for a month or so. I have had no side effects from Lamictal. I described it as a miracle drug, until this setback. Hopefully I will right myself soon and all will be well. I intend to stay on Lamictal until the doc says differently. I also take syroquel and it gives me wonderful sleep.
GentleLady

Last edited by GentleLady; 07-02-2005 at 06:44 PM. Reason: add smilie

Closed Thread