It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
(female)

Untitled182star HB User
Unhappy medication yes or no

Ive been on some sort of antidepression medication since I was in 6th grade. I am supposed to be taking lamactal and lithium. I've taken lithium for over a year now. It makes me sick. I always feel the need to eat because if I don't I get the feeling I need to puke and it happens often. Since I eat a lot I've gained weight. I've told my doctor that its rediculious to have me take this medication to make me feel better when it makes me gain weight and then I become depressed agian. So for awhile now I don't take it. I've had this feeling lately that these mood swings i've felt are just a part of life. Medication numbs life and I'll have to deal with it sometimes.. am I right or not? I don't really have anyone to talk about this with your input would be appreicated.. Untitled

Old 07-03-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
Re: medication yes or no

When you are medicated you are still dealing with problems and experiencing life. I can see where you would feel like it numbs life though. The benefit to medication is that you are able to deal with life better since your emotions are under control.
I just know that my husband needs to be medicated because otherwise he would not be able to keep his emotions in check enough to: keep a job, keep friends, keep family, keep me. The choice to be unmedicated is yours but the aftermath always seems to cascade down to the people that you love.
Just something to keep in mind when you make your decisions. Also, my husband was the happiest when his meds were making him gain tons of weight. And you know I would rather have him sane than skinny. Unfortunately he didn't feel the same way, and I understand that. But it just seems like times were so much better then. But, deep down he was ashamed of his weight gain, which I totally understand...boy do I. I'm like a yo yo.
Anywho, I hope everything goes good for you and that you find a comfortable spot.
Good Luck,
Nodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 08:55 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untitled182star
Ive been on some sort of antidepression medication since I was in 6th grade. I am supposed to be taking lamactal and lithium. I've taken lithium for over a year now. It makes me sick. I always feel the need to eat because if I don't I get the feeling I need to puke and it happens often. Since I eat a lot I've gained weight. I've told my doctor that its rediculious to have me take this medication to make me feel better when it makes me gain weight and then I become depressed agian. So for awhile now I don't take it. I've had this feeling lately that these mood swings i've felt are just a part of life. Medication numbs life and I'll have to deal with it sometimes.. am I right or not? I don't really have anyone to talk about this with your input would be appreicated.. Untitled
From Gee Gee, Hi !
I am sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with your medication.

Just my own opinion....., Do you think you could get your Doctor to put you
on another medication ?
There are several meds., that are out there that do not cause weight gain.
Maybe you could have a long talk with your Doctor...,

You asked, if you have to deal with medications causing your life to be
numb, and you will just have to deal with it sometimes..., ?
I wish I had the answer to your question.....,

I would strongly advise you to contact your BPDoctor, and tell him/her,
how you feel...., and maybe this would be the best source for your
question, and maybe you can get the answers you are looking for.

I hope you are feeling better soon...,
Take Care,
Gee Gee

Old 07-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

Hey 182*

Welcome to the boards.

On the subject of Lithium - the field is split.

Some people (like me) say very BAD things about it...

Others (like 'ruth 6:11') say very GOOD things about it...

HOWEVER - i'm not Bi-P anymore, so I spent seven years taking a medication I shouldn't have...

Best advice, learn everything you can about the illness AND the available meds.

THEN talk to your health care team.

Take care, Hedge~

Last edited by Hedgehog No 1; 07-03-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Closed Thread