It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

madmac HB User
accept responsibility for manic actions pre diag?

Folks,

First- a recap: diag cyclomethic in UK 1.5 years ago- would not admit to extent of extremes of highs and lows. Not told what it was, or why I should take Zispin, and no follow ups (usual with granny-state UK National Death Service) Diag clinical depression in Canada- March 05, recurrent dep in June. GP says prob BP- waiting on urgent reff to local MH unit. Wife a BsN, now nursing instructor- got job cause I dragged us around 4 countries. Enough.

Rejoined wife in Canada Sept 04, think I went a bit manic Dec 04. She called cops- chucked out of house. Talked to her today: she seems bent on me accepting all responsibility for my actions prior to any diagnosis. Willing to admit I was probably a pain, but how was I to know? I thought my frame of mind was due to life and normal! I can understand if someone knows, understands they have a condition and decides to stop taking meds they know work- but accept all resp for actions? It seems like blaming a short sighted person, not previously sight tested, for walking into things. Also got an earful about not looking after my diabetes (still in good health), though told at diab clinic that BP and depressed patients usually dont look after themselves- too depressed or think they are superman (my experience).

Life seems pretty unfair- feels like I've been discarded, or taken to the vet by her mother to be put down....

Old 07-05-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
Re: accept responsibility for manic actions pre diag?

You are sure not alone.
The brain runs on chemicals and chemical reactions. When they are wrong, our behavior is wrong - and it's not a matter of "choice".
Like any of us would "choose" our bizarre manic behavior or debilitating depressions????

Some people DO NOT understand that if the pancreas doesn't work right you have diabetes - and if the brain doesn't work right you have disorders like Bipolar.
Same difference!

It's why I'll never willingly step foot in the state of Texas (sorry to any Texans out there) who would condemn to death a woman who was medically psychotic.
The ignorance just appalls me.

I know this doesn't really help your situation - only getting your wife educated about brain disorders would - but wanted to tell you that you are NOT alone!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 07:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

madmac HB User
Re: accept responsibility for manic actions pre diag?

Thanks for your reply- I must sound like abroken record by now. Educate my wife? The nursing instructor who first suggested BP and took me off for an emergency assesment? She was the first to suspect, anfd the first to run anfd dump me like a warm turd. Just feeling crap- this time last year we had just renewed our marriage vows, ands had a second honeymoon in Amsterdam....

Closed Thread