It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

Niquil HB User
Smile Troublr accepting DX

Hello everyone.
I was dxed with Bipolar II about 4 months ago. I am also DID which I've known about for almost 18months. I remember when I was learning about DID that I read a book about BP and was real glad that I didn't have that. Now my pdoc says I do. I guess I can see the symptoms and accept it on a logical level but emotionally I don't want it to be so. Has anyone else felt this way and how did they learn to accept the bp? My T is working on acceptance with me but I still have doubts that I need to get over. I also have a cousin with BP so the odds are weighted in favour of the dx. Still...

Niquil

Old 07-06-2005, 05:51 AM   #2
(male)

greywolf HB User
Re: Troublr accepting DX

Hey

I was mis-diagnosed most of my life as one thing or another. About 8 months ago I got the diagnosis of Bipolar NOS. I rapid cycle, have mixed episodes, and severe depression. I don't fit the other bipolar diagnoses. I wasn't thrilled about it, because its a serious disorder and most folks now believe its primarily biochemical. If its biochemical, its a lifetime experience. I also was worried because of the stigma about it. A lot of press about bipolar is about the crimes comitted by folks with bipolar. My own parents said anyone with bipolar should be locked up and keys thrown away. Obviously I dont confide with them.

But I have kind of told myself it really doesn't matter what the name for the disorder is. Its disabling me to some extent and thats all thats important to me. The diagnoses is anything but scientific anyway. I cant remember how many diagnoses I have had in my life. Its just something we need to deal with. Bipolar is just a label; it has no physical reality, only your symptoms do.

I'm rambling so I'll stop now

greywolf

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 06:56 AM   #3

Human Child HB User
Re: Troublr accepting DX

Hi, niquil

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. My dx are DID, BP, and OCD - and an eating disorder to boot. My cousin is dx BP also, as is my mother (and, probably several other family members who are undx).

I don't know if I've accepted it or not. Currently in therapy. Currently fade in and out of acceptance both of the BP and the DID dxs.

Anyway, welcome.

Best wishes

Closed Thread