It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #1

dawly HB User
Exclamation Lithium.. Please Readdd

Okay, my doctor is prescribing me lithium because it's a very strong mood stabilizer. anyone know , will it make you gain weight.. a lot of weight? :-\ i REALLLLY don't need that. AND, any other information or experiences PLEASE post.. i know NOTHING about this drug..
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #2
(female)

Untitled182star HB User
Unhappy Re: Lithium.. Please Readdd

Ive gained weight on it. I think its more how you react to the drug.. it made me wanna puke all the time.. but everyones different..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
Re: Lithium.. Please Readdd

dawly,

It seem that Lithium Carbonate(for women in general),can cause weight gain in the first 3 to 6 months. Every bodies' metabolision is different,however, the weight gain could be a result of retaining water. It is very important to have sodium in your diet when you are on Lithium. Any sodium loss,can leave a concintration of Lithium in your system. Therefore,a possibility of a toxic reaction. Serium Lithium should be always be between 0.6 to .09 Eq/l for safety and theriputic levels. It is thought that the sodium (salt) needed to maintain the safe levels of serium Lithium,is a possible cause of water retension in your body,(peripheral edema,edematous swelling of the ankles and the wrists). In some cases,a diuretic might be considered,however,it NEEDS to be very closely monitored with the serium Lithium saftey levels. The weight gain,as some of the other side effects.may tend to subside after the first 3 to 6 months. In other words,your body will acept the sodium needed with the proper Lithium doseage (.06 to.09 Eq/l) and the water retension hopefuly will be reduced. And your weight return to a normal level.

I have been on Lithuim for 35 years, with normal serium Lithium levels. No weight gain for most of that time.

eyestwo22

Last edited by twoeyez; 07-06-2005 at 10:47 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to twoeyez For This Useful Post:
luckygirl41 (01-09-2011)
Old 07-06-2005, 07:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User

Hiya

I think everyone reacts differently - I didn't gain any weight at all on Lithium. Was very poorly for the first week - dizziness, sickness, generally very weak and sleeping a lot, but once that wore off I was fine on it.

Good luck - when you find the right meds they really can work wonders

Picali x

Old 07-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I've been on lithium for 20 years. I'm 5'2" and weigh 125 lb.
Not sure if anyone would think that "too heavy"....
Personally I would rather be a little overweight and sane rather than skinny and manic or depressed as hell...

Old 07-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
(male)

GuyInFrisco HB User

I am currently taking Lithium and havent noticed weight gain but I and friends have noticed water retention on my face. I have tried several other medications and gain weight big time like 25lbs! Give it a try you have nothing to lose.

Closed Thread