It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 04:10 AM   #1
(female)

fiesty_leo HB User
Any fellow Australians here?

Anyone else here from Australia? The reason I ask is that I want to know whether my dissatisfaction with the public mental health system-a situation I am stuck in due to lack of finances- (Queensland in particular) is something others can relate to, or am I just over-reacting? I find that the public system here has a very "you're bp, cya...here's your tablets, cya..." approach, with absolutely no emphasis on support, counselling, etc All I want is to be able to talk to someone about life issues/problems etc that are bp-related, but I don't feel that I can. I had a meeting with my 'caseworker' the other day and had a chat about things, and I said that I have issues I want to talk about and she goes "well you can write down a list of your triggers then talk to your mother about the other stuff".

Old 07-08-2005, 04:12 AM   #2
(female)

Niquil HB User
Re: Any fellow Australians here?

G'Day.
Yeah, I'm an Aussie. North east Victoria.
I guess I'm pretty lucky. I've got a great T who only charges me 50 bucks for a 2 hour session and pdoc who charges $140 for half an hour but I get $90 back from Medicare and he gives me most of the meds out of his magic drug draw in his desk.

Quote:
and she goes "well you can write down a list of your triggers then talk to your mother about the other stuff".

Man that sucks. I had a govt T for about 8 weeks. She was good but the govt only pay for 6 weeks normally but I got it extended because I was, I guess "special" or perhaps just crazier than everyone else. I'm up to my fifth T. The first one threw me out saying she was tired of banging her head against my brick wall. The second one failed to keep appointments. The third told me all about her sorry private life, took a whole swag of money off me and said I was fine - go away. The fourth was the govt T because now I'm on the dole, and now the fifth one is great. She wants to help and always listens. Her hourly rate started out at $90 but then that came down to $70 because it was apparent that I was going to be a long term client, (I'm DID too) and then that came down to $50 and I see her at her house so she doesn't have to pay for a room . And I don't think I have ever had a session that only went for an hour. A couple have even gone for three.

If I was you I would shop around. Many T's are open to negotiation when It come to fee's. Some even work on a sliding scale so if you are unemployed you can get a cheaper rate.

I'm also in a country town of around 36,000 people. I'm sure that makes it easier. City T's probably can afford to knock back clients because 'richer' clients are aplenty.

Good Luck
Niquil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread