It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
(female)

Catie HB User
what does normal feel like?

I've been on Lamictal for some time now, and I've finally gotten up to a dose where I feel significantly better. Some days I feel giddy and wonderful, and some days I feel good, and then some are just sort of flat. I don't know how better to describe it--I'm not giddily happy, nor am I depressed. I'm just....flat.

So here's the big question--how do you know what's a normal mood for you? Like on the mood charts your docs and therapists have you fill out, where 1 is suicidal depression and 10 is full blown mania--what exactly is 5 supposed to be?

My moods have been on such a roller coaster for so long that I don't actually know what my normal mood would (or should) be. When I think back on it, my natural state seems to be one of extreme highs and lows, and very little in between.

When you get stabilized on BP meds, do you continue to have highs and lows, but less extreme, or is "stable" more of a condition of a flat, straight line?

Hope that made sense.
Catie

Old 07-07-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User
Re: what does normal feel like?

I don't theink any us can really measure normal. If you take the argument that bipolar symptoms is "natural" for us then that is truly normal, as for the societal view of "normal" how on earth would any of us know? Most of us probably can't remember life before being diagnosed BP (that is if we were "normal" then). So I'd personally say that normal = functional while not feeling like crap and not feeling like you can fly. This probably represents a range of states, but any one of them is as close to normal as anybody can get I think

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
(female)

Catie HB User

That makes a lot of sense, reesie.

I guess it's just hard to know what to aim for with your meds. But functional seems like a good goal. Lord knows on the days I'm super down, there is no functioning besides my thumb on the remote control. And on the super ups (not pure mania, just hypomania), I jump around from project to project, feeling like I have energy practically coming out of my hair, but am unable to channel it long enough or capture the rush of ideas and thought long enough to make great use of it.

So functional does sound good.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
(female)

Zbaby HB User

For me, "normal" is actually "stable," as in not jumping from extreme high to extreme low and back again, having a range of emotions somewhere in between.

Stable for me is that flat effect IMHO. That's as low as I personally want to go, but sometimes I go a tad lower than that. Still, that's within the bounds of what people typically refer to as "normal."

My ideal state is the cusp I reach just before hitting hypomania. That's where I'd like to stay, allowing me to experience joy, giddiness, high energy and productivity. My mind and conscience is clear, judgment is good, and I fully embrace the good fortune I have and minimize any petty obstacles in daily life. This state also allows me to dig deeper into my past to start the healing process of personal issues through therapy.

I'm not always in near-hypomania, but I currently hit it a lot more often now that I'm on a good med combo with excellent docs who listen, understand, and adjust their prescribed course of action accordingly.

It sounds like you're in a good place, Catie. If flat is the worst you experience, then your treatment must be successful. Now is just a matter of increasing the frequency of near-hypomania so you can feel the joy more often than not. I think the best way to reach this goal is through therapy so you can work on your personal "baggage" and equip yourself with good coping skills -- in addition to your current med combo.

Functional is great, don't get me wrong. I just like to be on that higher level where you're not just functioning but excelling, moving and grooving.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

Catie HB User

Thanks, Zbaby.

I agree--I'm not so crazy about flat--pre-hypomania would be infinitely preferable. I am doing therapy as well as meds, and I have high hopes that it will help. I just hope it helps empty my mind of emotional baggage before it empties my wallet.

What kind of med combo are you on, zbaby? Mood stabilizer alone, or with an AD? Right now I'm just on Lamictal, and I would love not to add another med--I already take so many (for other conditions). I feel like a walking pharmacy. But, what the heck, better living through chemistry, right?

Catie

Old 07-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
(female)

Zbaby HB User

Catie - I'm on Lamictal, too, and expressed the same dread of adding any more drugs to the regimen. I gave in to Celexa, but that AD wasn't completely effective. Then the p-doc talked me into Wellbutrin (my other option was to get off Celexa, scratch the Wellbutrin and get on Effexor, which would bring me up to 2 instead of 3 drugs).

Wellbutrin is my miracle drug. I don't know if it would work as well without the Celexa, and I'm too chicken to find out on my own, so I'm stuck with 3 drugs -- in addition to my vitamins, fish oil capsules and allergy medication.

But hey, why tinker with a good thing? The real kicker will be when I decide to have another child. Don't know what I'll be like without a mood stabilizer, and Lamictal is not exactly the safest drug in prenatal terms.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User

Well, I think everyone is right, since we can't use our own terms of normal, then I think we have to use a common sense one.

To me...

Normal is the state when your mood is controled by your enviroment instead of your biology.

Normal means the mood passes with time, and does not dominate

Normal means I have the control of how I feel

Normal means Never wondering whats next, or if it can get worse..

Normal

I wish to be normal today, But I canít seem to
Find the mold I had when I hadnít.

I know the doctor gave it to me, I remember
him handing it over, when I didnít.

I have tried my pockets, each and every one,
But I doubt it would fit there, or shouldnít

So here I stand looking for it, but oddly not
Sad or panicking, and somehow
know I wouldnít

I will have to look later, for my wife is smiling, and
my son has come to the door, wait, I think
I found it.

Last edited by JustDave4now; 07-07-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User

Dave, you rock.

Closed Thread