It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia - check it out online - it is amazing!
jephiner HB User
cutting

Hi..another question...
I have often had the urge ( but thankfully not the stomach) to cut myself in the past - usually when I am in a lot of distress - anyone else have this issue?
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
(female)

Derangea HB User
Re: cutting

Hi Jephiner,

Let me just say, I'm proud of you for not going through with cutting. Because once you make that first cut, it almost becomes an addiction, and you can't stop. If only you could see my arms, my shoulders, my stomach, my neck... they are covered in scars. I cut lastnight after promising myself I would never do it again. Its almost like a disease. I hope you never start. Just keep fighting those urges. And if you have any, just come on here and reach out. We're with you.

-Derangea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
(female)

Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia - check it out online - it is amazing!
jephiner HB User

thanks derangea - I know it is a dangerous path and I am sorry it so hard for you. I find it so frickin creepy that I have the urge - it seems sooo against the natural order of things - you know what I mean? I know I won't because I would have by now if I was going to - but I keep thinking of odd things and thinking - is BP why I do that? Anyway - thanks for your post and keep fighting the good fight
Jen

Old 07-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #4
(female)

xxKitteNxx HB User

i totally know how you feel. i get urges to cut myself too. i did when i was younger, but now i tell my roommates to hide all sharp objects and tell them when i get urges. unfortunetely the images are graphic and sometimes i don't know how long i'll be able to fight them off. but hang in there, i know they seem so "abstract" but you're not alone hope all goes well.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I'm wondering if Bipolar Disorder & cutting are two different disorders that sometimes find themselves in one person.
Like someone who is diabetic and gets cancer. Or Bipolar with chronic bronchitis.

There is also a Board here specifically for cutting - It's called the "self-injury" board I think in case you want to check that out too!

Old 07-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
(female)

flexy633 HB User

I was under the impression that Borderlines were the ones that cut themselves and Bi-Polars did not.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I'm pretty sure that either can cut themselves.
My understanding is that many of the reasons that people start cutting could apply to anyone - bipolars included.
Cause:
People who have trouble talking about their feelings may show their emotional tension, physical discomfort, pain and low self-esteem with self-injurious behaviors. Other factors identified include:

Relief from psychological/Emotional pain.
Release of tension.
Inability to handle feelings, good or bad.
Expressing anger.
A history of physical, emotional, or sexual abuse.

Cutting isn't usually the problem, but a way for the person who is cutting to deal with the problem.
(Ok, everyone wants to know whether I cut? Actually a year ago there was a girl on the Mental Health Board who was a cutter and I looked some of this up so I could understand a little better)

Old 07-19-2005, 09:36 PM   #8
(female)

restless_heart HB User

Boy after reading all the post on here i am really understanding y i do some of hte thins I do... I am a cutter i only do it when it seem like I cant deal..I however actualy have hid it for yrs and am only now admitting to it..It just seem like i am a whole mess of problems..It only makes sense to me so well cuz my mom was in the same boat However she didnt hide it as well...I sometimes wonder if there is ever an ending to all this stuff

Old 07-20-2005, 03:23 AM   #9

Stolen HB User

Hello, all

Try this instead:

Put a rubber band around your wrist and snap it (hard).

Draw on your arms, legs, neck, stomach (whereever) w/ red magic markers (looks like blood).

Hold ice cubes on your wrists

Stolen

Closed Thread