It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
Smell cell receptors for treatment of Bipolar Disorder

A major issue with Bipolar disorder is that it is hard to predict which medication a patient will respond to. So pdocs go through a series of trials and errors,and patient suffers until the right medication is found. Now, reserchers are working with olfactory (smell) cells that might someday be developed as a "medication responsiveness test" to indicate which medication a patient should be on. In this study, it was found, that the olfactory cells from people with bipolar disorder containes much less calcium than those taken from people with out the disorder. So this physical type of "test" might be used,in the furture,as a detectable difference in nerve calcium content which medication a patient should be on, and how much they need to take.

Can any one add to this new reserch? We need to know all the physical "test and treatments" that will be aviliable in the furture for control of Bipolar Disorder.

eyestwo22

Old 07-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User
Re: Smell cell receptors for treatment of Bipolar Disorder

Wow. Cool. That almost makes me want to go to medical school.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Wow! That's so cool! I love how the doctors are finally realizing that mental illnesses are a biological occurrence! Yeah! Some day, there will hopefully be a cure, but in the meantime, I just hope that they can do this olfactory cell experiment for all of the psychiatric disorders- it would eliminate all of the "medication trial-and-error," and we all could be feeling like ourselves sooner! Great breakthrough! Thanks for reporting it, reesie- I hadn't heard about it!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User

Don't thank me, thank eyestwo22!

Old 07-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

reesie and gatsbyluvr :

The more we can all be awear of what reserchers are doing in the area of Bipolar Disorder,the more the general population will know how to accept this Disorder as one that is equal with importance as any other physical illness.

Thanks, the both of you, for your responce and awearness.
eyestwo22

Old 07-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Sorry, EyesTwo22- I meant to give the credit to you! LOL!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread