It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 07:27 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User
What should i do???

I've been on 200mg of Lamictal, recently went down to 100mg! It was making me insane. I have problems sleeping. I cant fall asleep! I've tried Ambiem, Unisom, Tylenol PM. This is driving me crazy!!! It takes me hrs to fall asleep----then i feel like **** when i wake up! Do you think this is the Lamictal? I dont know what to do?

Old 07-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #2
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User
Re: What should i do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess72
I've been on 200mg of Lamictal, recently went down to 100mg! It was making me insane. I have problems sleeping. I cant fall asleep! I've tried Ambiem, Unisom, Tylenol PM. This is driving me crazy!!! It takes me hrs to fall asleep----then i feel like **** when i wake up! Do you think this is the Lamictal? I dont know what to do?
I would call the doc that cut your dosage... ASAP. Hopefully they can give you some help/good advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
(female)

Derangea HB User

My main advice for sleeping problems is not to take perscription drugs, they can be quite addicting, even if they claim not to be. Plus they artifically make you want to sleep, so you never feel rested, then feel awful the entire next day. I say this because I used to be on Ambien for 2 years then finally hit a point where I overdosed on it. I dont think the Lamictal is causing it. How long have you been taking it? As far as sleeping/relaxing I say go to a drug store or a GNC (which always has it) and pick up a bottle of Melatonin. Take 3mg an hour before bedtime and you will definetely fall asleep, stay asleep, and feel rested. BEcause Melatonin is the natural chemical in your brain that releases at the point of your circadian rythm that makes you sleepy. Try that. I use it, and it has been a blessing. Good luck. Keep up posted.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

I have used Melatonin too... It's good stuff and really helps.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

melatonin is good...........i cant say what works best for me because im not allowed too..............

Old 07-15-2005, 04:43 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

I know the answer...........i have to go to the doc......BUT, i have tried ambiem and other med's are addicting! My doc wont perscribe them to me (recovering addict) I tried Melatonin last night....nothing!!! I had to take 2, and finally i fell asleep, about 4am and got up at 7:30! Im gonna make an appointment today. This all started when i started the Lamictal?????

Old 07-15-2005, 06:43 AM   #7
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess72
I know the answer...........i have to go to the doc......BUT, i have tried ambiem and other med's are addicting! My doc wont perscribe them to me (recovering addict) I tried Melatonin last night....nothing!!! I had to take 2, and finally i fell asleep, about 4am and got up at 7:30! Im gonna make an appointment today. This all started when i started the Lamictal?????
I don't know anything about Lamictal... so I don't know if that is what is causing it. But, that is why you need to talk to your doc about it. Especially if it is the doc that changed your dosage. That is why we go to the doc, to help us... We are a customer to them... and if you're not getting what you need, then they need to be notified.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:53 AM   #8
(female)

Catie HB User

Hey, princess.

I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. I'm on Lamictal, too (300 mg), and I can relate. When I first started taking it, I had a horrible time getting to sleep. BUT (and here's the good part)--it does get better. I think it just takes your body a few weeks (ok, or a couple of months) to get used to it. It has for me, anyway.

I thought about stopping it when I was first beginning it--I had a constant headache, plus the sleep issues. But after a month or so, the headache went away, and after two, the sleep issues have gotten much better. They haven't resolved completely--there are still plenty of nights where it's a problem to get to sleep. That said, I've always been prone to insomnia, so it's hard to tell what percentage of my issues are due to the Lamictal.

I echo the others--go see your doc.

Oh, and I wonder--I keep seeing commercials for a new sleep aid that's supposed to be non-addictive (I think it's called Lunesta?). You might ask about that. And as for the Ambien, my doc told me it's not addictive, either, and that for it to work effectively, you need to take it for about four days, to get your body back in a regular sleep pattern.

I hope you feel better soon--insomnia is awful.

--Catie

Old 07-15-2005, 06:57 AM   #9
(female)

Catie HB User

Oh, I forgot--I've tried melatonin, and it didn't work for me either.

I've also noticed that not being able to fall asleep is a viscious pattern--once you have a problem sleeping for a couple of days, you get freaked out that you won't be able to sleep tonight, which makes you anxious so you can't sleep, etc.

One thing that finally worked for me one time when all sleeping aids failed was an anxiety med--I think it was Ativan. You might ask your doc if something in that category is a possibility, but I think that most of those are addicting, so maybe not. Or maybe you could just do it short term?

Hope that helps.
--Catie

Closed Thread