It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 05:39 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

madmac HB User
serequel and anger

Folks,
Anybody on seroquel notice a difference in the length of their fuse when on this drug? I am finding that I am much more prone to short violent outburst than previously. I used to seethe and say some spiteful things, or become a recluse and OD on sleeping pills till the problem subsided. I must also admit that since moving back in with my parents, things have got worse, my father is a spiteful bully and uses words like a rapier. Example, me in tears on valentines day, he says, " I suppose your wife is out all made up looking for a replacement father for your son". Who knows why he said it, but I could hve cheerfully broken his arm. Drivers who take liberties cause I'm on a motorbike (borrowing a large chunk of my lane, merging on top of me, expecting me to somehow find some other place to be at 60mph, turning left across my path at the lights when I'm going straight through) are also apt to find me bashing on their wiindow at the next set of lights, and threatening to drag them out of the car for some "bad driver reducation".
Anybody similar?

Old 07-15-2005, 06:33 AM   #2
(female)

Josie's Momma HB User
Re: serequel and anger

Yes, yes, and yes. I am not the violent type... never have been. But I have the shortest fuse known to man right now. I have been on serequel for about a month. The other day I turned into the Wicked Witch of the West because someone changed plans on me. It really wasn't THAT big of a deal. I get mad over the smallest thing and people around me run. I broke up with my boyfriend 3 times in 2 days because he looked at me funny. There are hundreds of happenings like this for me. I didn't think of it being a side effect of the drug. I will have to talk to my PDoc about it now. BTW - have you noticed any other odd effects? I have trouble swallowing. My throat isn't closed it's just I forget how to swallow... very odd.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
(female)

ocean1496 HB User

I wanted to ask about Seroquel also. My doc just gave me samples and upon reading the RX info online, I haven't even started it.
All the examples that you gave about a short fuse is me (at times), but I haven't tried the Seroquel.
What dose are you taking?
How long have you taken it?
What other side effects has anyone noticed?

I am taking other meds too. Lamictal, Trileptal, Adderall xr (for ADD), clonopin when needed. I have recently been weaned off Keppra, Zoloft (and I have taken Lexapro, Tegretol, Topomax in the past but none of these seemed to help.) I also have epilepsy, so some of the meds overlap each other. Anti-epileptic drugs to control my seizures, and then I am diagnosed bp and the same drugs are used.

When I looked at Seroquel info, it is prescribed for acute mania and schizophrenia. I am not sure what acute mania is, anyone out there know what acute mania can look like?

Out of the common side effects listed, the usual drowsiness, dizzy, etc don't seem to worry me (all my meds do this). The alarming effects listed:

"this drug may cause, significant weight gain, make blood sugars rise therefore causing or worsening diabetes, which possibly can be deathly if sugar rises enough to put you into a diabetic coma, may raise blood cholesterol (or triglyceride ) levels, may increase risk of developing heart disease."

Also: may hinder body temperature control. Advised not to exercise strenuously, and avoid extreme heat.

Also: Parkinson's disease, muscle pain, fever, chills, rash, fluid retention in the legs, feet and arms or hands, difficulty speaking, trouble breathing, decreased white blood cell, problems with eyesight, throat infection, inflammation of the nose, abnormal increase in muscle tone, loss of appetite,head pain, fast heartbeat, heart throbbing or pounding, stomach cramps, feeling week.

And, these are listed as rare side effects:
Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, Cataracts, Prolonged Q-T Interval on EKG, abnormally low blood pressure, discharge of milk in MEN and women when Not Breastfeeding, problem with periods, seizure (nice for me), high blood sugar, underactive thyroid, diabetic ketoacidosis, and Diabetes.

Soo, I do know that they have to list EVERY possible side effect, but looking through my info, on all of the meds I have tried......
I have never seen side effects that are that dangerous (or possibly dangerous)

I have had the samples for 3 days now and keep looking to find real people that use Seroquel and hear their experiences with it. Does anyone think I should start these, and one more question, how long does this drug stay in your system, can it be used as needed?

Any info will help.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
(female)

GentleLady HB User

Hello,
I have been on a very low dose of syrequel (25 mg) for about 6 months. I take it at night and sleep like a baby. I have had a couple of incidents of 'short fuse' lately, but it was during a time of imbalance and a response to stressors in my life. Sometimes its hard to sort out which is the bipolar and which is a side effect of a med. Im also on Lamictal and Wellbutrin. This seems to be the winning combo for me. Not perfect, but Im much improved and balanced from my non medicated state, 8 months ago.
Gentle Lady

Old 07-15-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

madmac HB User

I am on 100mg a day (low I know) and 30mg of celexa. The serequel is supposed to make the anit-depressent work better. I take both at 6 pm and am out cold at 8:30 (except tonight- I bolted a weeks dose last Wednesday, and if I go back to the pharmacy, I will only get a day's dose at a time- stand in line with the methadone junkies). If I take it late- 10 or 11 pm, I am tired and dizzy the next day till 2 pm or so. I am up at 5 to be on job sites at 7am. I have always suffered from heat, and the serequel makes me sweat like a pig, and stink. Wash the sheets every other day. The shrink who put me on this is a fool. I too read the drug info , and pointed out to him that
1 diabetics should not use it 2 those who are suicidal should not use it, those who suffer heat stroke should not use it. He tells me I am a liar, and don't know anything. I told him about my e-mails from the drug company. he would not believe me. I have started a formal complaint against him. I have met a number of his patients at MDA meetings- they think him a prat too. The drug lets you think the same (gosh, here come a speeding bus, if I were to just step out...) but without the emotion thast usually goes with this scenario....weird. Its like being bounced around a wrestiling ring- serequel being the bungee ropes that keep you on the mat...Make any sense at all?
Oh yeah, sometimes you sleep all through the night (depreessed state, or wake up at 2am at the other end)
other questions?

Old 07-16-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
(female)

GentleLady HB User

Hi Mad,
How do you know its the serequel that is doing this to you? Did it start when you started on the drug? Did you have any of these problems before you started the drug? In any case its obvious that the medications you are taking are NOT controlling your bipolar disorder. You seem to be in a very precarious place. You sound very angry AND suicidal. I hope that you will seek intervention, either from your own doc, or some other suicide prevention, or mental health crises group.
I take my serequel (25 mg) at 830 every night. By 10 im asleep for the night.
Im sure you know that it takes a lot of trial and error to find the right combination of medication. It sounds like you are having difficulty with they system in getting your needs met. That can be extremely frustrating. Please keep trying. You deserve better than what you are getting.
GentleLady

Old 07-16-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
(male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

I was on Seroquel at one point as well I dont remember my anger being any different but I was hitting the weights hard and was getting huge. From 175lbs to 200lbs and my bench press went up as well other machines in the gym. When I stopped the Seroquel I dropped down to 186lbs from 200lbs in three days.
I guess this drug has some good benifits.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

madmac HB User

How do I know?
Prior to serequel I suffered a bit from heat stroke- Now I need just a warm day and I am soaked in sweat. Try ripping drywall off at demolition sites for 8 hours and i have to drink about 6 litres of water to stay hydrated. We all know serequel is sedative. Now, I have had angry outburst in the past, but they have usually been directed, now I go off like a hair trigger shotgun. Thoughts are the same, but less extreme at either end, but the emotion is less pronounced. Talking to other co-workers, they have noticed the same. (It seems a lot of my co-workers are on the same drugs- one job site, 3 out of the 4 of us were on the same meds). They have said that others have noticed they have lost their emotions as people. My doc has sent me to a consultant who has suggested I be sent to the local MH unit for an assesment- he has also prepped them I think. He's a smart GP. I am really hoping for something better when I get seen Tuesday.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
(male)

barkingspider HB User

I have irrational outburst to!! My wife absorbs all of them. They leave my exausted and guilt ridden. The guilt lingers for literally days and is wosre to cope with than the outbursts. I was having ooutbursts for a month satraight and was a mess.I had to do somthing about this!! Now I leave my house at the slightest feeling of sensitivity with a portable chair and sit outside. My head has cleared slowly now, and I feel 100% better!!!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #10
(female)

lilycrisp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean1496 View Post
I wanted to ask about Seroquel also. My doc just gave me samples and upon reading the RX info online, I haven't even started it.
All the examples that you gave about a short fuse is me (at times), but I haven't tried the Seroquel.
What dose are you taking?
How long have you taken it?
What other side effects has anyone noticed?

I am taking other meds too. Lamictal, Trileptal, Adderall xr (for ADD), clonopin when needed. I have recently been weaned off Keppra, Zoloft (and I have taken Lexapro, Tegretol, Topomax in the past but none of these seemed to help.) I also have epilepsy, so some of the meds overlap each other. Anti-epileptic drugs to control my seizures, and then I am diagnosed bp and the same drugs are used.

When I looked at Seroquel info, it is prescribed for acute mania and schizophrenia. I am not sure what acute mania is, anyone out there know what acute mania can look like?

Out of the common side effects listed, the usual drowsiness, dizzy, etc don't seem to worry me (all my meds do this). The alarming effects listed:

"this drug may cause, significant weight gain, make blood sugars rise therefore causing or worsening diabetes, which possibly can be deathly if sugar rises enough to put you into a diabetic coma, may raise blood cholesterol (or triglyceride ) levels, may increase risk of developing heart disease."

Also: may hinder body temperature control. Advised not to exercise strenuously, and avoid extreme heat.

Also: Parkinson's disease, muscle pain, fever, chills, rash, fluid retention in the legs, feet and arms or hands, difficulty speaking, trouble breathing, decreased white blood cell, problems with eyesight, throat infection, inflammation of the nose, abnormal increase in muscle tone, loss of appetite,head pain, fast heartbeat, heart throbbing or pounding, stomach cramps, feeling week.

And, these are listed as rare side effects:
Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, Cataracts, Prolonged Q-T Interval on EKG, abnormally low blood pressure, discharge of milk in MEN and women when Not Breastfeeding, problem with periods, seizure (nice for me), high blood sugar, underactive thyroid, diabetic ketoacidosis, and Diabetes.

Soo, I do know that they have to list EVERY possible side effect, but looking through my info, on all of the meds I have tried......
I have never seen side effects that are that dangerous (or possibly dangerous)

I have had the samples for 3 days now and keep looking to find real people that use Seroquel and hear their experiences with it. Does anyone think I should start these, and one more question, how long does this drug stay in your system, can it be used as needed?

Any info will help.
Hi,
I'm new here. Hope I chose the correct way to respond. I have been on Seroquel for over a year now, supposedly for sleep. I am prescribed 200 mgs. at night but that doesn't really put me to sleep. I have to use Nyquil with that to actually sleep, and then sometimes I wake up at unearthly hours and can't get back to sleep. I have not noticed any side effects at all, but don't know how long it takes for them to start showing up. I know I should read the paperwork but don't ever do it. If I did, I wouldn't be on meds at all probably. I am Borderline and also take 1200 mgs. Trileptal, plus just started Cymbalta. Have you taken that one yet? I can't remember if you said that one or not. If so, how did it work for you? Sorry not more help.
Blessings,
Lily

Closed Thread