It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

Derangea HB User
Multiple Diagnosises

I've been going to psychological evaluations for the past two weeks. They've got me pegged as Bipolar, BOrderline, and now a new one ADD. I took an IQ test, 138. ANd now next week I have a neurological exam. This is exhausting...

Old 07-16-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User
Re: Multiple Diagnosises

I sometimes think the process of achieving a diagnosis is just as difficult as the illness itself. Unfortunately a lot of docs don't seem to realise the effect all these different theories have on our confused brains! The only thing that helped me through this was to read up on everything they labelled me with and then try and decided for myself what described me best and use that as a starting point for the next appointment. I did find out that the symptoms for almost everything they diagnosed me with were very similar, so decided (eventually) not to worry about what to call it as a lot of them seem to be the same anyway? I always refer to it as BP when I talk to others about it as it's easier for other people to understand, but I did eventually give up on a 'definite' diagnosis because I just didn't think it was ever going to happen. The good news is that most symptoms of most diagnoses are treatable, regardless of what the 'illness' is called. I put together a big list of all the symptoms I felt applied to me in all of the things they diagnosed (was a complete pain but worth it in the long run) and then we worked on treating the things that bothered me the most. With me the depressions are horrific and definitely life threatening, although I find AD's on their own send me into a horrible irritable mania (my usual manic bursts are quite mild and actually quite nice; I don't usually do anything too terrible, I just feel really loved up for a while). So we sorted out the depression and added a mood stabiliser and then I've just tackled the other things as I've been able to. Slow process and very frustrating but you get there eventually.

I've heard Borderline is often misdiagnosed with BP as the symptoms are v similar. I don't know much about ADD though.

Let us know how you're getting on

Picali xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #3

Stolen HB User

derangea,

After 3 months in T and a psych consult - my dxs:

BP
PTSD (with dissociating issues indicative of DID)
OCD
Eating disorder (ED)

My best to you,
Stolen

Old 07-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

Derangea HB User

Thanks guys, I agree with what alot of what you are saying. I think I'm just going to start labeling myself as me, not a disease.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User

I think it makes life easier in the long run, although it can be tough initiially and sooooooooooo frustrating! Good luck, let us know how it's going.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:25 PM   #6
(female)

SilentSuffering HB User
Re: Multiple Diagnoses

Well, according to my doctor, and the reading I've done, I'm a mess!

My doctor diagnosed me as bipolar, though I don't know which "level" best describes me.

I'm definitely obsessive-compulsive, and to an extreme degree! (Anyone know Monk?)

I'm not sure if I have borderline personality disorder or if it's just the bipolar. They do share common symptoms, so it's hard to tell.

And I'm not sure if I have ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), or if it is just the bipolar working on me.

Man... I'm afraid to take the meds (because of the side effects) but how else am I going to get better? (My doctor prescribed Symbyax. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate your two cents.)

suffering_in_silence

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth." -- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by SilentSuffering; 08-26-2005 at 10:00 PM.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:32 AM   #7
(female)

Derangea HB User

Well my doctor told me lastnight that I had symptoms of ADHD but its such a close cousin to Bipolar Disorder that specific medication for ADHD instead of Bipolar, you might not notice much difference. So he recommended (for me anyway) sticking with a Bipolar treatment.

Closed Thread