It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

achromic_sunset HB User
Exclamation (newbie!!)MY FELLOW MANIC DEPRESSANTS, LEND ME YOUR EYES!!!

people, people, people...

i know your pain, i know your pleasure (i mean extreme manic episodes). From this disease I have put myself through so much self destruction- sleepless nights, shopping sprees, lost friends, addictive behaviors, let guys take advantage of me, neglected my son at times of severe depression, hit rock bottom, lost jobs, dropped out of school my senior year, had periods of time when i had absolutely no self respect, extremely low self esteem... i can go on forever.

I recommend a hobbie. Yes, I know how simple and childish this sounds but TRUST ME!!!! Hey, while we're full of all these ******in' emotions, put them to use. Find something you love to do and do it not only when you're depressed or angry, but do it as often as possible. I tell you this, people, this is THE ABSOLUTE BEST THERAPY. Whether your hobbie is music, gardening, exercise... whatever, just do it. Do it when you are happy, when you are anxious. There's only so much medication can do and only so much a dr can do for you. We cannot rely on these outside influences. We cannot rely on others for happiness. We cannot rely on material possessions for happiness (ladies, dont use "shopping" as a hobby... u will land yourself into debt!!)

Remember, TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE SELF. Not in a pill. Not in a doctor's office. Remember this

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
(female)

*Mood Ring* HB User
Re: (newbie!!)MY FELLOW MANIC DEPRESSANTS, LEND ME YOUR EYES!!!

HI ,

I am new here as well and would like to take the time to introduce myself. I am a 27yr old who was diagnosed with Bipolar 3 years ago. I have had my share of ups and downs and life has definately thrown me some curve balls. My life hasn't been the best but I've coped with it the best I can while also learning to battle this illness.

Your insight to the daily struggles we suffer is definately on target. I agree with alot of what you have said and am glad you are a positive influence to those who need it.

Last edited by *Mood Ring*; 07-15-2005 at 06:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Great idea on the hobby thing. I think we should take a minute and post what our hobbies are. I like to plant flowers, and enjoy them, but I often kill them... (black thumb I guess) So, I found a new hobby. I am making jewelry. The good thing about this hobby is that it could eventually turn into a business. (that, and you can't really kill a bracelet...) I just started a couple of weeks ago and have a couple of orders already. DIY is a great channel if you want to look for things to get your creativity out. That is where I stumbled on the jewelry thing. I used to make seed bead necklaces in high school (I think every girl did haha). But when I started watching this channel I found out there is lots more you can make. AND, you can make stuff that is really gorgeous, not all cheesy looking like I thought it would be. Lots of celebrities buy this handmade stuff. So, who knows, maybe I'll get really good and be able to work from home!!! I just found it gives me something to concentrate on (when I can concentrate). And, it seems to be fun and sparkly enough to keep my attention! haha

Last edited by MikeysWifey0316; 07-16-2005 at 04:30 PM.

Old 07-17-2005, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

I always thought it would be fun to make jewerly. And I wish we had DYI here, we just recently got HGTV. When I remeber I watch the Carol Duval show, she is pretty crafty.

My hobbies are kind of based on the season. Right now I garden, veggies, flowers ect. I also like to paint things. For instance, I am working on a bird house and trying to make it look like a cottage that has been in the woods for many years. It is turing out, but it takes me so long to plan the next step!

In the winter I like to quilt. Nothing fancy, because if I get frustrated, it gets put aside, and then who knows when I might get back to it.
I also like to cook, but it is just too hot, and our central air broke, has to be replaced, so no indoor cooking for awhile!

Last edited by keystone206; 07-17-2005 at 06:40 AM.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
(female)

restless_heart HB User

My hobbie so to say is Fixing up a friends house..I think I like it cuz it gets me outta mine and she always takes into consideration my ideas and sometimes even uses them...lol Anyway in the past few months we have redone a bedroom, living room, bathroom and our current project is the basement...we r converting it in to a gym/spa with jungle in mind.. i know sounds corny but like I said gets me outta here and my mind off day to day struggles

Old 07-20-2005, 03:27 AM   #6
(female)

singsong HB User

One thing I like to do is "press flowers" They have these cool litttle presses you turn the screws tighter and tighter on and you leave them them alone until they dry out (3 + wks) Queen Ann'e lace works beautifully... Once thats done you remove each piece (now brittle) with twizzors and paste into your own creative scene! In fact, I fell like doing it today!!!!! Regular weeds, leaves, wild flowers work GREAT.

Oh, if you don't have a flower press, a big heavy, thick book will do!

Thanks for reminding me that there are FUN things out there. I will find a field today!

Old 07-21-2005, 08:42 PM   #7
(female)

SilentSuffering HB User
Re: MY FELLOW MANIC-DEPRESSANTS, LEND ME YOUR EYES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achromic_sunset
...i know your pain, i know your pleasure (i mean extreme manic episodes). From this disease I have put myself through so much self destruction- sleepless nights, shopping sprees, lost friends, addictive behaviors, let guys take advantage of me, neglected my son at times of severe depression, hit rock bottom, lost jobs, dropped out of school my senior year, had periods of time when i had absolutely no self respect, extremely low self esteem... i can go on forever.

I recommend a hobby. Yes, I know how simple and childish this sounds but TRUST ME!!!! Hey, while we're full of all these ******in' emotions, put them to use. Find something you love to do and do it not only when you're depressed or angry, but do it as often as possible. I tell you this, people, this is THE ABSOLUTE BEST THERAPY. Whether your hobbie is music, gardening, exercise... whatever, just do it. Do it when you are happy, when you are anxious. There's only so much medication can do and only so much a dr can do for you. We cannot rely on these outside influences. We cannot rely on others for happiness. We cannot rely on material possessions for happiness (ladies, dont use "shopping" as a hobby... u will land yourself into debt!!)

Remember, TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE SELF. Not in a pill. Not in a doctor's office.
You made some good points. I don't know what Bipolar-3 is, but when I told my primary care physician (regular doctor) what was going on with me, she said I was manic-depressive. She prescribed Symbyax about 2-1/2 months ago, but I haven't taken a single pill because of the side effects. I'm afraid it will make me gain weight, and since I'm obese, I do not want to get any fatter. It also effects/prevents sweating, so I'm afraid to take it since it's summertime, and I overheat very, very quickly and easily.

Anyway, I began responding to this post for a reason...

I do believe the bit you wrote about getting a hobby. I didn't get a hobby, but I did go back to school.

I spent 3-1/2 years after graduating high school working a dead-end job in insurance. I had to get myself into something... (I find I function better when I am working towards a goal.) I put myself into college and obtained my Associates degree. When I graduated one year ago, I was sort of left with nothing to do. The very day after I graduated, I started on my Bachelor's degree, but for financial reasons, I had to stop after the December session ended. I have been out of school since December 22, 2004, and I've been getting worse and worse. I have to do something. The rollercoaster is killing my body, and threatening my job.

I've decided to go back to school, and I'm hoping to start this coming September. I'm really excited, not only because I'll be working toward a goal again and therefore keeping my mind occupied, but I'll also be working toward something really positive. I am not currently working in my chosen/educated field, and I hope to make "the big move" in 2007 after I get my degree.

So maybe that's my 2 cents. Perhaps taking a class or 2 might help some people. Take a pottery class, learn CPR, learn another language, etc. It might not work for everyone, but for me, accomplishing something was a great way to lift my mood in a healthy way.

I know I've been manic-depressive for years; I just never wanted to admit it, and I've always been afraid of medications. I really don't want to start taking these meds... I've heard almost nothing good about meds, and the side effects are awful and scary.

I have a depressed friend who walks at least an hour each day. She goes out and hits the road, sometimes with music, sometimes without. She breathes deeply and enjoys the fresh air. Plus, she's got something positive going on, so it helps in the daily battle.

I'm trying to go to the gym and work on my weight. I am also obsessive-compulsive and have an extremely addictive personality, so I am trying to get myself addicted to healthy things like exercise and healthy eating in order to replace my unhealthy addictions of eating excessive amounts of food, being incredibly lazy, and being so depressed. I might be able to bring myself out of this, but I believe a great deal of it has to do with my weight.

People don't want to be around me because of my mood swings, but mostly because of my depression. My boyfriend of 5+ years dumped me on our anniversary because I was depressing him. He said he'd never seen anyone go from laughing to crying to laughing in the same 3-second span. I had just lost my job, and it was like he was kicking me while I was down. I was at my lowest point, and my support "group" up and left me because I was depressing him.

I'm also in debt. I've got a great deal of credit card debt for meals long since eaten, items long since broken or discarded, and I have nothing to show for this immense debt, except for the fact that it's plunging me into deeper downs and making the highs fewer and far between. I've got to buckle down and get my finances under control, too.

I've been suffering in silence (hence the name) for too long, and I know it's time I did something about it. I've got to change my weight, my addictions, and my state of mind. I've never had really good friends, and I'd like to know what it's like before I die. I also can't bear the pain of another breakup that I caused because I was sad too often.

How does everyone else deal with your manic-depression? Have your jobs been affected? Have loved ones left you or threatened to leave you if you didn't get help?

Best of luck to everyone (and thanks for the suggestions; I might try one or two of those hobbies)

suffering_in_silence

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth." -- Oscar Wilde

Closed Thread