It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User
Lamictal for Bipolar????

I recently stopped taking Lamictal. It was making me crazy...and i WASNT sleeping!!!! So, i was on 200mg, cut down to 100mg for about 3 weeks, and yesterday stopped taking it! My question is, i could not sleep for the life of me when i was taking this!!! I still cant, and im assuming it's the Lamictal cuz i slept fine til i started taking it! Now, i DONT SLEEP AT ALL!!!!!! I have taken Ambiem, Tylenol PM, Melatonin, Unisom!!!!!!! IM STILL NOT SLEEPING!! I am an absolute wreck! So, is there anyone that has went off this med, and finally was able to sleep???? I do know Lamictal can cause insomnia! Anyone??????????????????????????????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User
Re: Lamictal for Bipolar????

go take a yoga class in the evening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 11:57 PM   #3
(male)

yooper829 HB User

Hi!

Talk to your pdoc....he has me on Trazodone for sleeping....and wow does it work great! Im on Lamictal as well but has sleep issues before I was on it, and Trazadone is the answer. Of course you will get a little morning hangover...but its not bad. Maybe this will help!

Old 09-11-2005, 02:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Lightbulb Re: Lamictal for Bipolar????

I am also on Lamictal and Trazodone. However, the trazodone prevents me from being able to wake up on time such that I can't even take a full school course load. I am in my 5th year of high school now. Trazodone is losing its effectiveness for me anyway. I'd suggest Xanax for it's extremely short half life, but it's really addictive and also loses its effectiveness quickly. I use it only episodically, which works out well.

Some sedatives work for shorter periods and/or have earlier "peaks" than others... unfortunately I haven't been on any other sedatives in years (though I've been on many) so I really can't enthusiastically give any other reccommendations. But I hope I helped a little...

Kristina

Old 09-11-2005, 06:56 AM   #5
(female)

polishprincess HB User

I was on Lamictal too and couldn't sleep either. Of course, I couldn't sleep before I took the Lamictal. I brought the issue up with my doctor and he switched me to Topamax and I been sleeping great since. I have had one or two nights that I have been up late but not sleepless. I haven't needed any kind of sleeping aid either.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

madmac HB User

I started lactimal/lamotrigine a few weeks back (up to 100mg at night), but haven't noticed undue wakefulness. I have weeks where I don't sleep well (4 hours) and some where I can't wake up, but this has been the case for some years. I use serequel for sleep 100mg- take it at 6pm, asleep by 8:30, which is good when you start work at 7am. Also on celexa, which is supposedly somewhat sleep inducing.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
(male)

APersn HB User

Seriously, guys, get some ambien. That stuff saves my life. I have odd sleeping schedules where I am awake 24 hours at a time often. I found however that after about 22 hours I feel exhuasted but by staying awake just a little bit too much longer it becomes impossible to sleep until probably 8 more hours later which wasn't working for me at all.

Closed Thread