It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 01:57 AM   #16
(female)

Good Grief! HB User
Re: Are meds just opening a whole new can of worms?

Hedge~ Your situation is heartbreaking. A medical mis-diagnosis would be a horrible thing to go through, then later to learn that the very med you were taking to help were in fact hurting. No one should have to deal with such a thing. Ever. Obviously I am no expert, but your situation seems VERY extreme and unusual. I would imagine, for the most part, people are being given meds that are appropriate to their conditions, though as you can attest not always.

Quote:
In closing, I publicly support the ability to raise a question on this website.
I don't feel as though I was challenging the right to discuss a topic.
I do not feel my posts here were out of line or over-reactions. I posted my thoughts, also when quoted, I will always reply. Just because my thoughts don't agree doesn't make them fighting words. And i certainly don't think this type of discussion should be unwelcome, I dont believe my posts indicated such a thought.

I have no wish to alienate myself by expressing an opposing point of view. I replied to what is a dangerous message. A blanket invitation to go off your meds packed in a success story. Very tempting... I know in my early days on meds I thought of dropping them, that invitation with the assurance that its not so bad, would have been very encouraging. THAT is my fear. That others, struggling with thier meds, will stop.

The underlying message, in each of my replies, is SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP. That is not a sarcastic or argumentative message. As a BP I believe professional help is very important, whether you take the meds or not. However! If you want to go off meds, then go off meds with the help of your doctor. But to just toss the pills is DANGEROUS. Being brought up by a nurse, I have learned that meds, when taken incorrectly or dropped, can be just as deadly as they can be helpful. Self medicating, without your doctors knowledge/consent/assistance, is dangerous.

Once again... I blathered...Apparently I cannot express myself in under 50,000 words!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #17
(female)

Allitree HB User

I am right there with you not taking the meds--diagnosed bipolar/schizoprhenic/sad etc. .. . I happen to think there is validity to all we see as bipolars and want to experience that for spiritual furthering. There is karma involved and it's our place to walk in multiple worlds. I try to be conscious and recognize when I'm in a manic or depressed state and know that there's always the LIGHT! Even when I feel I'm at my darkest I remind myself that curiousity is better and just wait to see how much worse it can get. When I'm manic, having been diagnosed, I recognize, tell my partner and close friends and just journal it to see where it takes me. This is more of a gift than a dysfunction, and if we see it as such it will take us further. . .

Old 08-07-2005, 09:48 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Depression so deep that I slipped into a catatonic state.
Mania so out there that I slipped into a psychotic state.
Not a gift... A symptom of a brain disorder.
Like jaundice/liver. Pancreas/diabetes.
Should all disorders be left to their "natural" state or just the brain's?

I can be a spiritual being without tapping into a disorder of my neurotransmitters.
I'm glad that you think of it as a gift - but don't forget that some people NEED their medications to keep from killing themselves or spinning off into psychosis...

Closed Thread