It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
(female)

babygrl1337 HB User
Arrow Diet pills and lithium...

Hey yea I'm a newbie.....I was just wondering if anyone takes diet pills with there meds.? I do and i get the energy boost but i dont know if it will take a toll on my body or not...Just wondering!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
(female)

kittyy HB User
Re: Diet pills and lithium...

Hello~ Are you taking the diet pills strictly for energy or for weight loss too? I f you are taking them just for energy I would switch to caffinated bev's. instead , not to mention that as a rule I don't think diet pills are good for you.
And talk to your doc. about it. good luck ~ Kittyy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
(male)

Bop HB User

Both of my doctors told me to stay away from caffiene or any type of upper (or downer)as much as possible, so I have to disagree with you on that kittyy.From experience I can also that my moods and energy levels have ben much more manageable since I have cut down on caffiene and quit alcohol altogether. However, you are right about staying away form diet pills unless you are using them for dieting. The best thing you can do is call your doctor or pharmacist and ask them how the different meds will react with each other.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #4

rubindj HB User

Keep in mind that most painkillers other than Tylonal (inc aspirin, motrin, etc) interfere with Lithium levels, in some cases toxically. Lithium is one of the worst drugs for drug/drug interaction because of its chemical makeup.

I wouldn't take anything w/o speaking with my doctor or pharmacist. Secondly, many doctors consider the diet pills to be psychoactive, so they definately would want to know about them.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

babygrl1337 HB User

Thank you all.... I am taking them for both reason weight loss, and energy. It's like if i don't take diet pills i just sit around all day felling like my muscles don't work. I'm addicted to mountain dew but i haven't ever really got energy from it. Coffee hurts my stomache and anything other than md is gross. The tylenol thing what do you all take for headaches? I get them alot to. Thanks for the help!!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Do your diet pills contain a diuretic?? Are they designed to help you get rid of water weight??
If so, they are VERY bad for you if you are on Lithium. Anything that works towards disrupting the amount of fluid you have in your body (even dehydration) can end up causing major lithium toxicity.

Mountain Dew addiction is very familiar to me!! I used to drink 8-10 cans a day. That much caffeine can be bad for the manic side of us no matter what meds we're on.
NEVER try to just quit a Mtn. Dew addiction cold turkey!! A headache from caffeine withdrawal is like having an ice pick in the middle of your forehead. Boy do I remember.
You'd need to taper down from that.

Lots of plain old ice cold water, 1 or 2 pops a day are what you're really aiming for and you'll actually feel better and you'll quench your thirst alot easier.

If you have headaches here are the ones that are NOT so good for you if you're on lithium:
ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
naproxen (Aleve)

And you're not a newbie any longer, you're a Junior Member! (Been there myself a little while back!!) Welcome!

Old 07-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
(female)

babygrl1337 HB User

A junior member already wow what a progress.....And oh yes i know those headaches....I usually take excedrin but most of the time nothing cause they don't help.....Actually since i posted this thread I have cut down on the mountain dew....Although these last two days I've only drank 1 glass of water. About the diet pills they don't have diutrec or whatever that word was in them......but they do have ALOT of caffiene..... Anyway thanks Ruth......

Old 07-30-2005, 02:53 AM   #8

rubindj HB User

You probably get the headaches (amongst other reasons) due to spikes in your caffiene level. Since its physically addicting, it can definately cause headaches during withdrawl.

As for medicine, Tylelol or narcotics (and some other perscription meds) are the only analgesics that don't interact potentially with lithium. You might want to talk to your doctor about Tylenol #3 or Ultram for occasional useage.

Closed Thread